Bill Simmons leaving ESPN

I don't see the appeal of Bill Simmons. To me, he comes off as a over-privileged New England sports fan who doesn't believe he has to be accountable to anyone. And for the record, I am closer to New England than am to NYC, so I know how New England sports fan can be, especially those who had attended prep schools or acts as if they have, like Simmons.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simmons is heavily overrated. His articles are bland and formulaic, his schtick got tired by 2005 but hasn't changed one iota in 2015. It says a lot that his best contribution to ESPN (30 for 30) didn't involve him writing or talking, and his second-best contribution (Grantland) has far more to do with all the other writers than with his sporadic columns.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think "worthless" is more than just a little harsh. Like any columnist who's been writing for 15 or so years, you know what you're going to get, and Simmons doesn't really deviate. Along the way, he's redefined what it means to be a sports columnist, and generally for the better. You can be upfront about your biases, interject pop culture, and yes, build your own constructs that only you care about, but are worth general sports bar-type debate. He wasn't writing Shakespeare, but very few columnists are.

Here are some examples of what Simmons got right during his tenure at ESPN:

- He wasn't afraid of calling out fellow ESPN talent for being terrible

- He does the best national NBA coverage (and that only works if you can just get over his Celtics fandom)

- He made Jalen Rose likeable

- The BS Report and now Bill Don't Lie are consistently good to very good (and at times great)

- He's been tireless about seeking out new voices, mostly at Grantland, but also giving them media platforms. Barnwell/Mays do a terrific NFL podcast, and I was taken aback by how good Diana Taurasi was on the last Grantland Basketball Hour. He nurtures talent in a way most people in his position might be too insecure to do.

- He's consistently gone after Roger Goodell, who is rapidly approaching Sepp Blatter levels of evil

Inasmuch as sports journalism matters -- and I think it does -- Simmons is a voice worth hearing. But I'm also a person who seeks out connections across and among genres, so Simmons is right in my wheelhouse.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think "worthless" is more than just a little harsh. Like any columnist who's been writing for 15 or so years, you know what you're going to get, and Simmons doesn't really deviate. Along the way, he's redefined what it means to be a sports columnist, and generally for the better. You can be upfront about your biases, interject pop culture, and yes, build your own constructs that only you care about, but are worth general sports bar-type debate. He wasn't writing Shakespeare, but very few columnists are.

Here are some examples of what Simmons got right during his tenure at ESPN:

- He wasn't afraid of calling out fellow ESPN talent for being terrible

- He does the best national NBA coverage (and that only works if you can just get over his Celtics fandom)

- He made Jalen Rose likeable

- The BS Report and now Bill Don't Lie are consistently good to very good (and at times great)

- He's been tireless about seeking out new voices, mostly at Grantland, but also giving them media platforms. Barnwell/Mays do a terrific NFL podcast, and I was taken aback by how good Diana Taurasi was on the last Grantland Basketball Hour. He nurtures talent in a way most people in his position might be too insecure to do.

- He's consistently gone after Roger Goodell, who is rapidly approaching Sepp Blatter levels of evil

Inasmuch as sports journalism matters -- and I think it does -- Simmons is a voice worth hearing. But I'm also a person who seeks out connections across and among genres, so Simmons is right in my wheelhouse.

I easily agree on this. He worked harder than we given him credit for. He still had to hustle from nothing.

If co-creating "30 For 30" is your only skin on the wall...that's a damn major pelt you skinned!

Mostly because writers think he has been important.

He basically started this: http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/ and this: http://www.barstoolsports.com/ and even this from a few days ago in Requests...

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103414-fun-project/#entry2433756

His basketball book in 2009 sold 250k hardcover. That's hard to do in an eBook/Kindle era.

Tim Layden, a SI Senior writer, thinks he was very important, like Curry Kilpatrick/Rick Reilly important.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SITimLayden/status/596824694990491648

And he had that BS Report with Michael Lombardi when he went all in with the Seahawks with Russell Wilson at QB.

Lastly, the relationship which Bill and his father detail on the podcast is outstanding. Bill's dad is sweet and genuine.

Only with him and Dan LeBatard do we really know strong father/son relationships from writers/columnists.

Plus, Juliet Littman is his greatest hire. She is podcast fantastic.

The fall of ESPN continues.

If Fox Sports 1 was smart they snatch him up.

We are about to start year 3 with Fox Media in charge of Clay Travis, who they wanted to be their "college football version of Bill Simmons".

How is that working with Outkick the Coverage?

The most heat he has gotten has been from fellow spare FOX employee, Katie Nolan.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/katie-nolan-calls-out-clay-travis-and-fox-over-how-to-land-a-husband-at-the-masters-article.html

Hiring Simmons means little since even with hiring Jamie Horowitz, nobody goes to FOX Digital but for UEFA soccer. Who really goes to read YardBarker content?

Bayless and Smith stay within the lines though. They say stupid things, but they don't upset ESPN execs or key partners. The First Take guys are good company men, and do their jobs (which is to "embrace debate" or whatever the dumb catch phrase is).

Simmons is like the smart-ass in high school that thinks he's smarter than the teacher and is charismatic enough to turn the rest of the class against the school. That's more dangerous than someone who just does dumb things (like say Janaey Rice asked for it, to pull an example out of nowhere).

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Simmons is like the smart-ass in high school that thinks he's smarter than the teacher and is charismatic enough to turn the rest of the class against the school.

B)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't see the appeal of Bill Simmons. To me, he comes off as a over-privileged New England sports fan who doesn't believe he has to be accountable to anyone. And for the record, I am closer to New England than am to NYC, so I know how New England sports fan can be, especially those who had attended prep schools or acts as if they have, like Simmons.

Personally, it's nearly as much about all the other established more annoying talking sports heads that keep me up to speed with Bill.

His podcasts aren't all about him, he has entertaining regulars like Sal & Klosterman. Sure he talks NE sports, which you know can be skipped through.

It's fun though to have his takes & Grantland's sports-pop culture mashup discussions.

I save my podcastings for weekday evenings after work. What can I say, I enjoy the laid back chilled out approach he welcomes.

Some of my fav BS Report moments:

- Brian Austin Green enduring Bill's 90210 opening credits/theme music retro recaps.

- When Bill found out the actual line for a Chargers-Saints game. Without looking it up, cuz that's no fun, here's the gist- Saints I think coming off the playoff loss in Seattle, opened 1-3 or whatever poorly. Chargers usual slow start 3-1 or 2-2 playing well. I think Bill went Chargers by 5 on the road. Sal hesitated & said, well, it's Saints by 6.5 'WHAAAAAT!!?!' I'll never forget how f'n hilarious... cuz it was truth. That was probably to this day either one of theirs largest swing off the actual line prediction.

- Any/all David Ortiz steroid bombs.

- Jalen telling Toronto nightlife stories.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Me: Mmm-hmm.

Gothamite: Last thing I need at this point in my career is fifteen hundred Bill Simmons disciples running around these halls. He jeopardizes my ability to effectivley govern this student body.

Me: Well, makes you look like an ass is what he does, Gothamite.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

John Skipper spoke yesterday during ESPN upfronts.

From the story:

"The narrative that you read is accurate," Skipper told reporters following the ESPN Upfronts in New York. After a brief pause, Skipper chuckled and added, "I know I kind of dodged that, but I am going to."

The ESPN president addressed the story that hung over the network's presentation to advertisers by discussing what led to the decision.

"The decision I made earlier this week was business," Skipper said. "It should not detract from the appreciation I have for Bill Simmons. He was at ESPN for almost 15 years, and did a fabulous job for us."

Simmons getting canned during the NBA playoffs is especially cruel...to me.

Can anyone recommend any good NBA podcasts? I've been trying the Starters, but I don't think it's a good fit.

WWE should work with Bill Simmons on a WWE Network series. Maybe a documentary-style series in the vein of the acclaimed NXT 30 for 30 episode. Or bring him in to do a live Legends podcast.

I'm not saying give him $6 million and make it an exclusive deal, but they should try and bring him into the fold in some capacity.

If Simmons thought ESPN was stifling, Vince McMahon is a different level.

However, WWE is so starved for mainstream acceptance they gave Freddie Prinze Jr a job. So anything is possible.

Simmons doing WWE specials would be a great idea by the way. So long as he leaves Shoemaker out of it.

Archived