2015/16 International Football

Crabcake

52 minutes ago, PaperThin said:

Wolfsburg plans to terminate Lord Bendtner's contract as soon as possible. This could be the end of a legend. :P

I guess he felt bad about being the best player on the team by such a wide margin

spacer.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BeIN is reminding me that el classico is coming up this week.

Is it terrible that I have no interest in watching that game, and think that their popularity is annoying, and that most of their "fans" havent watched a single minute of the teams playing.

It just isnt a must see match for me.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

10 hours ago, DiePerske said:

BeIN is reminding me that el classico is coming up this week.

Is it terrible that I have no interest in watching that game, and think that their popularity is annoying, and that most of their "fans" havent watched a single minute of the teams playing.

It just isnt a must see match for me.

Sure Barcelona and Real Madrid are great teams, but their fanbases are practically just nothing but bandwagons who only like them because of Messi or Ronaldo. It's a terrible rivalry of terrible fans, whiny Real fans, glory hunters, and a lot more. If you want to watch a real derby, watch the Rome derby or something, which is on Sunday, which I plan to watch instead.

u3J7jjd.png

8 minutes ago, PaperThin said:

Sure Barcelona and Real Madrid are great teams, but their fanbases are practically just nothing but bandwagons who only like them because of Messi or Ronaldo. It's a terrible rivalry of terrible fans, whiny Real fans, glory hunters, and a lot more. If you want to watch a real derby, watch the Rome derby or something, which is on Sunday, which I plan to watch instead.

To be honest, ill be doing what I do every weekend and watching Marseille, and this week ends up being OM v Bastia.

And possible some other games for Ligue 1, and the Bundesliga as well.

For their annoying promotions, i love BeIN sports connect. I also like the fact I have Fox Sports go and ESPN3.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, PaperThin said:

The Rome derby would be great as always this year except both curva's are boycotting the game over barriers in the stands. 

As a somewhat-neutral (always wish Real to win because of Ronaldo and Coentrao [Concentrao]) El Classico is a must-watch for me, as much as the fanbases suck it still is (arguably) the two best teams and two best players in the world going head-to-head. You can't beat the amount of skill on both sides in that match with any other derby. MSN is a joy to behold. Best attacking trio since Henry, Messi, Eto'o.

Besides, the atmosphere only really matters if I'm there in person. I'm not singing on my couch.

Madrid and Barça are global teams with no traditional fan base on the stadium. Most of the supporters in the stadium are tourist. It is a very commercial game, no with the traditional atmosphere that we used to have in Europe or South America. And today, the result of the match is not so important as Barça has a huge difference of points ahead of Madrid.

whereicomefrom.png

Most fans in the stadiums of the big clubs are those 'tourist-fans'. Bayern has such a reputation either. I actually can't really understand how to be a 'true' fan of those clubs. I wouldn't even watch the games because you know in advance that your club is winning.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

40 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

Most fans in the stadiums of the big clubs are those 'tourist-fans'. Bayern has such a reputation either. I actually can't really understand how to be a 'true' fan of those clubs. I wouldn't even watch the games because you know in advance that your club is winning.

I suppose if its your local team or your parents passed down the love of the club to you it would be very easy to be able to watch them every week. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I have two things to take away from today's match vs. Spurs. 

Phillipe Coutinho is a magician. 

Harry Kane is a beast. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

I suppose if its your local team or your parents passed down the love of the club to you it would be very easy to be able to watch them every week. 

Well, that's an exception. But most of the big club's fans aren't even local. I hate all these random Bayern, Dortmund, PSG...-fans here in Berlin (and with that I really mean people that live, even grew up here).

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

15 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

Well, that's an exception. But most of the big club's fans aren't even local. I hate all these random Bayern, Dortmund, PSG...-fans here in Berlin (and with that I really mean people that live, even grew up here).

I can understand that if I was in your position. I would probably really hate Bayern Munich fans if I was raised in any other city besides Munich. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

2 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

The same feeling here for Madrid or Barça fans born in Galicia. They never weren't at a match in Camp Nou or Chamartín

whereicomefrom.png

IMO, Football feels very different than other sports, there is a very intimate connection to the local club. I don't know if that is due to the academy system/ homegrown players or what but it does feel different. I support my local club (Colorado Rapids) and understand the frustration you guys must feel. However, if I want to support a European club from the states that I can actually watch on a regular basis I'm going to end up liking a big club. It is hard to fall in love with clubs you have never even heard of and that is the huge advantage that the Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG type clubs have over others.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

This is slightly off topic, but I'm going to say it anyway. 

One thing i noticed in the Liverpool-Spurs match AND in England-Germany was how the commentators were talking about how Dele Alli is "fiery". In both instances, the commentators said they appreciated it and would rather have a young player like him have a fiery side than not. 

What amuses me about this is that the English public hung effigies of their greatest player in decades because of one poorly timed red card. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

This is slightly off topic, but I'm going to say it anyway. 

One thing i noticed in the Liverpool-Spurs match AND in England-Germany was how the commentators were talking about how Dele Alli is "fiery". In both instances, the commentators said they appreciated it and would rather have a young player like him have a fiery side than not. 

What amuses me about this is that the English public hung effigies of their greatest player in decades because of one poorly timed red card. 

There's a big difference between having a fiery and competitive edge to your game and getting needlessly sent off in the knockout stages of a World Cup.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

3 hours ago, kcchiefsfan said:

IMO, Football feels very different than other sports, there is a very intimate connection to the local club. I don't know if that is due to the academy system/ homegrown players or what but it does feel different. I support my local club (Colorado Rapids) and understand the frustration you guys must feel. However, if I want to support a European club from the states that I can actually watch on a regular basis I'm going to end up liking a big club. It is hard to fall in love with clubs you have never even heard of and that is the huge advantage that the Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG type clubs have over others.

Well, in my case, I'm fan of my hometown club, Deportivo, founded in 1906, La Liga, Copa del Rey and Supercopa winner and semifinalist of European Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Champions League. This is a club with a big tradition and huge suppport here. I don't know the club that Berlin Wall supports, but Berlin got several traditional clubs as well.

whereicomefrom.png

I don't have a problem at all with foreign Barca and Real fans, really no different to me than ManUtd, Chelsea, or (pretty much a all post-2009) ManCity fans. They went for the team that is likely to win, but they also have huge local fanbases ( hell, they both have members elect their president ). I'm not going to fault Americans that didn't go for the English speaking club

07Giants.pngnyy.png

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

I don't have a problem at all with foreign Barca and Real fans, really no different to me than ManUtd, Chelsea, or (pretty much a all post-2009) ManCity fans. They went for the team that is likely to win, but they also have huge local fanbases ( hell, they both have members elect their president ). I'm not going to fault Americans that didn't go for the English speaking club

I have no problem too with global fans of clubs like Barça or Real Madrid. More fans more impact more money. That works for them and I respect it.

(Off topic: Daniele De Rossi is my relative, so I'm always happy when Roma wins, but my Italian team in AC Milan).

whereicomefrom.png

Archived