ESPN, Olbermann part ways once more.

CS85

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/media/keith-olbermann-espn/index.html

At the end of July, Keith Olbermann will be unemployed once again. His show is done.

I know he's a controversial figure, but I've always admired his willingness to go after those who deserve to be torn a new one. It's one of those things where blatantly insulting one of the cash cows of ESPN takes massive precedent over editorial opinion of a deservedly controversial figure.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN is dumb.

It NEEDS shows like Olbermann and Outside the Lines to maintain some air of balance. Olbermann's commentaries were something that sports television lacks. It was hard and pointed opinions that presented the flaws in sports. And they're not just angry rants or personal vendettas, they always had legitimacy and backing to them.

As we discussed on this week's episode of Basically a Sports Show, it'd be interesting if Olbermann took his talents to Fox Sports 1 or something, but I don't think Keith would ever accept a check written by Rupert Murdock.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm drunk right now, so if there are spelling errors I take no responsibility.

ESPN is dumb.

It NEEDS shows like Olbermann and Outside the Lines to maintain some air of balance. Olbermann's commentaries were something that sports television lacks. It was hard and pointed opinions that presented the flaws in sports. And they're not just angry rants or personal vendettas, they always had legitimacy and backing to them.

As we discussed on this week's episode of Basically a Sports Show, it'd be interesting if Olbermann took his talents to Fox Sports 1 or something, but I don't think Keith would ever accept a check written by Rupert Murdock.

I know Olbermann is kind of a douchebag and much reviled by various peoples in his circle and elsewhere, but when it came to calling out bullcrap from the enormous turdbags that perpetuate the sporting world, he wouldn't hesitate. I respected that. Hell, burying it on ESPN2 should've been the perfect place for such criticism, but the NFL is simply too powerful.

Truth and scathing mockery of these titans is totally deserved, but these legendary taintwagons heave their stinking nutsacks onto ESPN brass in order to make these problems go away. Fight the power. Fight the powers that be.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He's NOT been fired: His contract is not being renewed.

If reputable Tweets are to be believed, he's NOT going to Fox or FS1. He's going to do real news, anchor next year's primaries and Presidential elections.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

If reputable Tweets are to be believed, he's NOT going to Fox or FS1. He's going to do real news, anchor next year's primaries and Presidential elections.

for who? Going back to MSNBC?

If that's true, that's unfortunate. I find him to be insufferable when he's doing politics. And it has nothing to do with his actual politics. It's more of the smugness he carries himself with gets over the top on politics. It shows up in his sports commentaries, but you can see it's just all in fun while doing sports. When he's being smug in political broadcasts, it always seems like he's just purposefully trying to get people mad at him or trying to say he actually is better than other people.

If that's true, that's unfortunate. I find him to be insufferable when he's doing politics. And it has nothing to do with his actual politics. It's more of the smugness he carries himself with gets over the top on politics. It shows up in his sports commentaries, but you can see it's just all in fun while doing sports. When he's being smug in political broadcasts, it always seems like he's just purposefully trying to get people mad at him or trying to say he actually is better than other people.

Bill O'Reilly vs. Keith Olbermann 8 PM time slot. Two blowhards going up against each other.

I edited the title so it doesn't make me look quite so stupid.

twitter

Bill O'Reilly vs. Keith Olbermann 8 PM time slot. Two blowhards going up against each other.

Like old times...

But exactly. In sports, Keith never went full blowhard. As a political guy, he's no better than O'Reilly.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Olbermann was my favorite show on ESPN. He was funny, so when he got serious, you knew he was SERIOUS. Sports is his forte, not politics. He is forced to be too stiff when doing politics.

To me, this seems like it stemmed from their "displeasure" with how Olbermann ripped into Goodell. Which means that there really ARE authoritarian governments in this country after all. Seriously, criticism is part of the industry, and if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Really ticked off right now...just not sure who to be ticked off at more: the NFL, or ESPN

I hate ESPN right now

WHYYYYYY

spacer.png

I never liked him as a sports reporter, or any reporter for that matter. He to me would just take the latest controversy and run with it, or create one of his own. I never took his opinion seriously on anything. Good bye and good riddance is fine by me.

And one of the few remaining threads of journalistic integrity at ESPN is headed out the door. I'd respect the WWL more if it just came out and said "we aren't renewing KO's contract because he says bad stuff about the mighty NFL and we simply cannot allow that at ESPN." But business is business, I guess.

FOX Sports 1 is a great fit and the most logical next stop for Olbermann but as my BASS colleague pointed out, it's highly unlikely that KO is willing to work for Rupert Murdoch. Then again, stranger things have happened.

BB52Big.jpg

Olbermann would be perfect at MLBN, since baseball is his forte.

I could see Bleacher Report possibly working, but if he wants to keep working in sports, MLBN is the place for him.

spacer.png

The irony. ESPN wants to talk NFL 365 days a year, but will can anyone who says anything bad about it. Can't say I expected anything less from the worldwide leader.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I love Olbermann, and I hope he gets a shot elsewhere. He deserves it. As others have mentioned, MLB Network is probably the most realistic destination for him.

Side note: I'm glad that I live in Canada, and so I don't have to deal with ESPN and their :censored:.

Archived