ESPN, Olbermann part ways once more.

CS85

I saw his show a couple times on both the Mothership and the MSNBC, but I guess I don't see how he takes things "too far." Or at least I haven't heard of many instances from various other outlets.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw his show a couple times on both the Mothership and the MSNBC, but I guess I don't see how he takes things "too far." Or at least I haven't heard of many instances from various other outlets.

Putting on a Bill O'Reilly mask and doing the Nazi salute might have pushed things a tad too far.

I think Olbermann wants to go back to news anyway. I think he's one of those media types whose heart is in politics but their mastery is in sports coverage, yet they can't help but pine for the chance to cover politics. It's like Jordan in a Barons uniform.

Sorry, but that is a terrible analogy. Jordan sucked at baseball, and his stint with the sport was basically a forgettable blip in his sports career. Olbermann has great, award-winning sports coverage, has years of success in the business, and was arguably one of the most instrumental sportscasters to the rise of popularity of SportsCenter.

I've always felt that KO's heart was in sports and the political thing was just what he did because he didn't have a sports gig.

Bingo. I don't know a ton about his broadcasting career, but it seems like after his initial falling out with ESPN, he needed a break from sports just because of the drama of the whole situation. I don't think he left sports just because his heart was in politics.

Mission: Accomplished.

ESPN essentially brought Olbermann in to stifle the debut of Fox Sports 1 and their version of "Sports Center" -- a hitman, if you will. Two years later, it has shown to have absolutely worked. Outside of live events, FS1's original shows and network have continued to remain an afterthought.

That being said, I hate hate hate to see Olbermann go. Pretty much the only show on ESPN went out of my way to watch (outside the Robert Flores hosted Top SC.) Maybe another sports network will pick him up, but my money's on KO going back into politics, sadly.

6uXNWAo.png

If he does he wont make it to July 31st.

Part of Olbermann's problem is he is a genuine :censored:. Now this has nothing to do with politics I liked him once when he was just a sport guy and I hated him on MSNBC but I never watched his new sports show even though I agree with lots of his sports views because he is such a bad guy.

http://gawker.com/5874373/a-former-keith-olbermann-employee-speaks-rage-outbursts-and-bad-suits

Ok...for starters, TheButlerDidIt's comment
[
describing Olbermann as "a huge nerd, had lots of emotional issues, low self-esteem, depression, and self-destructive behavior"
] sums up his personality, but doesn't include how those traits manifested (and still do, in all likelihood) in abusive behavior toward his staff — not just the executives who make enough f you money to deal with his bull... He doesn't have reasonable reactions to missteps, he gets angry and finds ways to take his anger out on people.

-Keith is the walking definition of a hostile work environment.
Countdown had a 75% staff turnover rate in the time I was there — high even for the cable news business. Keith had people he liked, and people he didn't like, and there was no rhyme or reason to it.
When he didn't like someone, he'd berate them and belittle their work until they left the show.
Then he'd do the same to the next person on his
:censored:
list. When someone he liked moved on, he'd take it out on the rest of us. If he got mad at someone for something specific (like not magically knowing he didn't want to be bothered at a certain time), he wouldn't acknowledge them for the rest of the day.

-If someone he didn't like left, he'd tell them how useless/incompetent/stupid he thought they were, instead of handling it like an adult and just being quietly glad they were gone. Then he's put someone new on his s list.

Politics is one thing people disagree, but it is this that gets him fired all the time and why he will have trouble getting another gig. You cant treat people like that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Actually, you most certainly can. I've worked for several people like that.

I cannot believe that's where ESPN draws the line, with the scumbags and outright bigots they put on their air. The simplest and most logical solution is that he went after the NFL too often, since we know there are no ratings high enough to allow that.

Actually, you most certainly can. I've worked for several people like that.

I cannot believe that's where ESPN draws the line, with the scumbags and outright bigots they put on their air. The simplest and most logical solution is that he went after the NFL too often, since we know there are no ratings high enough to allow that.

Umm you endorse treating people like :censored:?

Naturally the big issue was Olbermann going after the shield I said that earlier, but I cant feel sorry for him at all as he has been terrible to a great number of people.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not endorsing anything of the kind. Just pointing out that it happens in many workplaces without serious consequences, and that ESPN willingly puts worse people on the air every day.

But we've known since they killed "Playmakers" that the one thing you can't do on ESPN is make the NFL uncomfortable. That's the truly unforgivable sin in Bristol.

Putting on a Bill O'Reilly mask and doing the Nazi salute might have pushed things a tad too far.

I didn't know that people could be accused of slander if they were just stating facts. (sarcasm)

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Haven't seen his show mainly because I haven't watched ESPN on a regular basis in five years, but the few Youtube clips I saw over the years were entertaining enough so I will miss him.

Hopefully its not because of budget cuts, but hearing that's probably the main reason why if not the only reason.

I feel bad for the people that work there. Your working in sports for a company that basically has a license to print money. But every single day you come into work it realistically could be your last day because the people at the top are counting the feakin' pennies with regards to everything.

I read that Olbermann refused to leave the Times Square studio, and he was the only one to use it. It was incredibly expensive ($40 million a year?), so it was really no choice at all.

But I bet ragging on the NFL doesn't help. Bayless and Smith are :censored:a, but they're smart enough to punch down instead of up. Simmons and Olbermann don't do that, which is why they're both successful and prone to conflict.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I read that Olbermann refused to leave the Times Square studio, and he was the only one to use it. It was incredibly expensive ($40 million a year?), so it was really no choice at all.

Is it really being that greedy though if that's what he can get from another network though? No. There's tons of netwotks out there. Who's to say that the MLB Network or somebody else ie. Showtime, Crackle etc. doesen't give him that deal sometime in the next year?

People turn down TV deals all the time. Olbermann just probably doesen't want to move out of NYC or lengthen his commute.

The original plan was to bring in Mike and Mike into Olbermann's studio as well to further justify its use, but they're staying put in Bristol as well.

If he does he wont make it to July 31st.

Part of Olbermann's problem is he is a genuine :censored:. Now this has nothing to do with politics I liked him once when he was just a sport guy and I hated him on MSNBC but I never watched his new sports show even though I agree with lots of his sports views because he is such a bad guy.

Politics is one thing people disagree, but it is this that gets him fired all the time and why he will have trouble getting another gig. You cant treat people like that.

I don't think he's a :censored:, and I know he's not a bad guy. Having seen people with similar traits as he possesses more than a few times (including in my daughter and myself), I have a somewhat different hypothesis.

Specifically, this guy is of an intelligence level that's so high - who can process information and retain it at a rate multiples greater and faster than the average person - that it literally frustrates him to point of anger that others can't keep up. And over the course of his lifetime, with a few exceptions, he's encountered people who have intelligence levels less than his own. As a result, he has a default mannerism of contempt toward anyone unless they demonstrate at least some qualifying baseline of intelligence.

Thus, he doesn't suffer people he sees as fools gladly, and what he sees as mere statements of facts or personal opinion are seen by others as smug or even arrogant when, in fact, that's not the intent. Olbermann swatted (or at least used to swat) people around on Twitter like flies, taking on almost all comers, which is also consistent with this type of thinking. This may or may not be a personality disorder, but it's one I'm sufficiently familiar with to know that the guy doesn't (or didn't until recently) even realize his behavior toward others was anti-social.

nav-logo.png

Story is out today that ESPN has been told to slash costs in a major way. Could be a big factor in letting Olbermann (and Simmons) go.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cost-cutting-is-coming-to-espn-2015-7

So penny-wise pound-foolish profit seeking or is the specter of cable cutting/a la carte cable starting to get Disney and its investors nervous?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived