Washington Capitals Concept - DC flag + Weagle - NEW UPDATE

hockey week

There has been a lot of talk about the Capitals recently, especially involving the Weagle logo and promoting it. It seems so natural to put the stars above the logo, it kinda balances out the logo, and I decided to take the extra step and integrate the DC flag (at least on the white, it's the reverse on the red, which is also used in certain logos in downtown Washington). The shoulders are a hallmark of the original sweaters, and the rest is meant to be a mix of modern and traditional.

C&C?
Capitals%20DC%20flag%20weagle%20full%20s

DC flag: Reverse:
buy_districtofcolumbia_flag-01-01.gif11152345_648210888646021_874135680429885

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The chest area looks gorgeous with the seamless combination of the logo, stripes and stars. It's a bold look that makes a tired colour scheme look fresh and unique. My only gripe is that the rounded shoulder yokes don't really fit with the rest of the uniform. I think if you removed them, the uniform would be more clean and balanced.

It is a really small detail, but on the front of the sweater, the bottom stripe cuts through the Capitol building. This makes it look like some other shape--I'm not thinking Capitol when I see it. I would suggest erasing the stripe inside the weagle. It would be a very subtle change, but one that will really help the design.

award%20sig.png

I've always been a huge fan of shoulder yokes, so originally I thought that the rounded yokes were the problem

Capitals%20DC%20flag%20weagle%20squared%

Which is, admittedly, better.

But I figured I had better go the full nine yards and go sans-yokes.

Capitals%20DC%20flag%20weagle%20no%20sho

And I kept thinking that it's unbalanced now and needs shoulder logos, but everything I tried was a downgrade and this look is really starting to grow on me.

So, with issues fixed, what do you think?

I like the square yoke better than the round. My initial thoughts right now or that you should keep the square yoke on the road jersey and keep it off on the home. The road needs more red.

A shoulder logo could make a big difference too. But definitely not the wordmark. I'd like to see a form of the capital building logos. I've seen some good concepts of that

Also, I'd have the chest stripe end at the side panel stitching on the back on both jerseys to keep that consistent and cleaner.

I think that's a wrap. Or at least it's the last of the tinkering until there's more suggestions. The entire process has been laid out here, now is the question of what works best. I also added a third, a fauxback featuring the secondary logo and taking the best of their original sweaters but fixing a lot of it (too many stars, sleeve stripes moved up from the cuff so the gloves don't cover them and enlarged, etc)

Capitals%20DC%20flag%20weagle%20full%20s

Removing the white outline on the Weagle would make the red jersey look much better.

Disagree. The white outline creates enough separation between the stripes and the logo. This is a winning concept HW.

I disagree with your disagreement. The white outline makes the white stripe look like it extend down farther than it actually does. That just looks wrong to me.

Archived