Expos to DC, Northern Virginia (not official)

hubsportsfan17

Washington should have a team, but it's a shame it comes at Montreal's expense.

I still think baseball could have worked in Montreal if someone with half a brain was in charge of that team. I went to opening day in Montreal and they got 30,000 during a Canadiens playoff game...too bad it has to end like this after years of being jerked around by MLB.

I also hope Peter Angelos realizes the biggest threat to erode his fanbase is his own boneheaded management, not a Washington franchise.

i still blame the strike for the Expos' problems and i figure we wouldn't be talking about this if the strike had never happened or had been resolved quicker.

that said, anything that screws over DC United is fine by me :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i still blame the strike for the Expos' problems and i figure we wouldn't be talking about this if the strike had never happened or had been resolved quicker.

Might of had Montreal Expos...World Series Champions.....who knows....

I dont feel sorry for Montreal baseball fans whatsoever. they made the decision that they didnt want Major League Baseball. So now they wont have a team.

Now I know whats coming.....

There are Expos fans in Montreal, they just dont like going to watch them play in Montreal

BAH to that! If they truly did care they would go to the games REGARDLESS of how bad the stadium is. Ive never been to Olympic Stadium, but from what I gather from those on here that have, it is a bad place to watch baseball. Ok, its a bad place to watch baseball....SO WHAT?

here in SF, we had to show that we were willing to support our team despite the bad stadium, and WE DID. end result, we got a new ballpark that is practically sold out every game.

So to fans in Montreal, youve made your decision. You may live to regret it, but its the decision you made.

To Fans in DC/North VA, congratulations on your new team if you get it. Just be sure to continue to support them through the down seasons and the first couple years at RFK

Does Washington deserve a team??? There were 2 failed franchises there before.

Anyway, I don't know if this was brought up but do you guys think that Angelos is tanking the Orioles to drive down attendance to make the case a Washington franchise would kill the Orioles??? Think about it since there has been talk about the Expos in DC Angelos has become real cheap and won't sign any players. When people start complaining about it he signs some hitters but no quality pitching (I hardly consider Ponson quality). Know he has know pitching he knows the team will lose and attendance would be down giving him the case that a DC team would kill the O's.

Angelos has no case. That market is big enough for two teams to thrive.

the Expos and O's are in separate leagues. DC would have NL, Baltimore would have AL. Aside from interleague they play different opponents.

Also, from what the other four two team markets in MLB show, the club that is established longer usually tends to be the more financially sucessful club (although a case can now be made in the LA market against that theory)

Bottom line, even with the Expos just up the road in DC, the O's are STILL the more established club in the market. It would take many consecutive sucessful seasons by the Expos and many consecutive bad seasons by the O's for the presense of a DC team to make a large and noticeable dent in the O's fanbase. Sure, some fans will go to the DC side, but Im sure the majority of them would continue to claim the O's first and foremost

This is good news its time the Expos have to be put out of their misery and given a new city. Montreal never recovered from the 1994 strike, and there will never be another stadium built. Labbats Park never happened. The fans are so alienated nothing will bring them back and having a team owned by the league is not good.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Amen!!!

Anyways If it weren't for the strike the Expos would've been able to get a new stadium, and with that new park they would be one of the most succesful teams in baseball. It's sad to see them go. :cry:

1zqy8ok.gif

If this marks the return of Washington Senators, and they are nicknamed the "Nats" again, then they must have a gnat for a mascot.

If they use the Capitals and Wizards color scheme, I'm a fan.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The fans are there but I think Angelos is trying to drive them away to prevent the move and after the move is over try to get good to get the fans back. I went to Camden Yards at the end of june. It was the O's-v versus the Braves. The stadium was mostly Brave fans there. I felt like I was at Turner Field. Angelos has made it clear that he does not want a Washington team, and while I think the area could support decent teams, I also think Angelos is trying to drive down attendance to try to prevent the move.

Does Washington deserve a team??? There were 2 failed franchises there before.

the old senators were all last place teams that finished in last place. they only did go to the world series like twice in almost 70 years. washington is a huge market you'd be stupid not to put a team there. they only team they have to compete with are the red skins.

1997 | 2003

Props to Norfolk for giving it a shot, even if the DC move was basically a foregone conclusion from the get-go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I went to DC on a school trip in April and we stayed across the river in Virginia. I think the new team's park would be better if it were built in DC not Virginia.

We had to pass through Baltimore on the way down and back. On the way home we had 1 and a half hours for lunch in the Inner Harbor area. I walked over to Camden Yards from there. Well, what i'm trying to get to is that Baltimore will still have enough of a fan base with a DC team. Plus they have a great park.

Jesus, I feel old. I went on that same school trip 7 years ago. Let me guess, you stayed at George Washington University? And you go to a Cambridge Public School?

Anywho, this is good for the team and baseball, although everytime I went to watch a game in Montreal, I had an absolute blast with my friends. Oh well.

This whole Expos thing has caught me entirely by surprise. I had no idea that there was any inkling they were going to move.

Hey, some habits are hard to break.

Anyone here ever been to Montreal?

The biggest problem with the Expos was the stadium they played in. It's way off downtown, and it takes up to 25 minutes to go from downtown to the Olympic Stadium, using the metro. No wonder why companies weren't interested in buying season tickets, to please clients. They'd have to ride the metro to go there. See the Alouettes (CFL)... The stadium is by far more interesting, in the downtown area, and just on the side of Mont-Royal. The atmoshpere there is incredible.

Unfortunately, were going to lose the Expos... I personnally don't care because I lost faith in the owners when Loria bought the team.

I just hope that they're gonna get better in DC!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived