Cardinals tribute

mjrbaseball

The post on the Request page by Discrimihater about the Eagles' black stripe got me thinking ....

(and not just about why that is on the Request page instead of here, but anyway...)

I know the NFL is planning some kind of tribute patch league-wide to honor Pat Tillman -- and rightly so.

But noting that the Cardinals have not had any type of helmet change since at least 1960, I think now might be the time.

Pat Tillman is a genuine hero, and should not ever be forgotten. If the Cardinals were to add a black stripe on their helmet as a permanent feature, that would be so. And in future years, when people ask why the Cardinals changed their helmet after all those years of not changing, they can be told the story of Pat Tillman.

(Aesthetically, a black stripe would still match the rest of the Cardinals' helmet design, too. If it didn't, this would be a poor suggestion, because it would be gaudy.)

There isn't a lot positive to say about the Cardinals these days. Maybe this could be something.

cardstr.gif

:flagusa:

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I remember creating a concept tribute logo of sorts. Never could figure out how to submit it to the NFL. :cry:

That or retire the number 40 in the NFL totally, much like the MLB did for Jackie Robinson.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I wouldn't retire Tillman's number from the entire NFL, just the Cardinals. Jackie Robinson, in all due respect, had more significance than Tillman in sport and society. I appreciate what Tillman did, but if we retire his number from the NFL, then we should have each league retire every number for every athlete who participated in World War II.

I saw, I came, I left.

I understand completely what Jackie Robinson did for baseball and society (actually, I probably don't, but I do understand a good amount), and I understand how good Gretzky was at and for hockey. I also see the heroism of Pat Tillman.

However, I don't believe numbers should ever be retired league wide. It's just not right. Right now my reasoning isn't coming to me in clear thoughts, but I just can't stand when they do that.

nah, they just had a couple patches...a simple one during the preseason that was just a circle with JB, the eagle, and 99 on it; and for the regular season, a more gaudy one, of which i remember a big 99 made up most of it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The black stripes on the helmets were because during the '89 season, QB coach Doug Scovil died. JB died prior to the '92 season. I'm pretty sure that the stripes were just electical tape.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it would be a really bad idea for the Cardinals to create some sort of permanent tribute to Tillman. Not only does it devalue all the other sacrifices made by Cardinals players in wartime, it also elevates him beyond where he should be.

I can see Halas, only because he founded the Bears and was a part of the organization for so long. But even that is pushing it.

If If Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi didn't deserve a permanent uniform tribute, if Tim Mara didn't deserve a permanent uniform tribute, if Tom Landry didn't deserve a permanent uniform tribute, if Chris O'Brien didn't deserve a permanent uniform tribute, then Pat Tillman shouldn't have a permanent uniform tribute.

Recognize his sacrifice, pay him lots of tribute when the season opens, give the Cards a uniform patch, but let's not dishonor the contributions made in the past by blowing his out of proportion.

I totally agree with quadival and gothamite. A permanent tribute would be too much, plus it is not something Tillman would have wanted. He did not want to have his story made into a big deal, because he did not want to be put on more of a pedestal than any other soldier in the military. A simple uniform patch will suffice fine; and people will still never forget him.

The Cardinals have announced that they will have a "ring of honor" in the new stadium (2006) - similar to the Cowboys' version (and other teams)...I would suspect (although I've haven't heard for certain) that they would put Pat up there as well.

rather then a black stripe, why not make it some from of american flag design. Much like the Cowboy's did in 1976.

if it is truelly to honor patriotism or change one of the Arizona flags on their uni to an american flag.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

They are naming a section of the stadium after him and i believe placing a life sized statue there as well.

That should be more than enough!

Yeah, that's right. Somehow, I forgot about that. There's going to be a Pat Tillman Memorial Plaza in the main entrance to the stadium.

yeah I don't think a permanent change to a uniform is really appropriate, although I appreciate the thinking. First of all the point that was made about Tillman not being put on a pedestal is absolutely right. Yes its very sad, but thats what war is, I find it almost distasteful to suggest his sacrifice was worth more than any other soldiers, which is kind of what this might do!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

yeah I don't think a permanent change to a uniform is really appropriate, although I appreciate the thinking. First of all the point that was made about Tillman not being put on a pedestal is absolutely right. Yes its very sad, but thats what war is, I find it almost distasteful to suggest his sacrifice was worth more than any other soldiers, which is kind of what this might do!

I don't think it's putting him on a pedestal or claiming he is of greater worth, it's a team remembering one of their own.

CGP.gif

Archived