Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/lrl/issues/issues?issue=target

Despite what was initially proposed, public subsidies were in place by the time the Target Center opened (surprise surprise).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, rams80 said:

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/lrl/issues/issues?issue=target

Despite what was initially proposed, public subsidies were in place by the time the Target Center opened (surprise surprise).

And this is why public money for arenas is the devil: If you remember, the Wolves were all but gone to New Orleans by year 3 of Target Center.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

I have the same name as my father. Does that mean I can claim all his accomplishments? According to various sports leagues and people here, I can, as long as my dad leaves them to me. Guess I'll have to start adding my military service during Vietnam to my resumes and applications.

Even if you were to consider Dallas as an expansion team, which they are not, so would the new Minnesota team.  Whether they became the Wild or North Stars 2.0, they would still be a completely different franchise from the one that left in 1993.  Their history began in 2000 (or 1997 when they were awarded an expansion team).  Whether it is a few years or even 1 month, I don't like the idea of a team absorbing the history of the previous team that moved, especially when it still exists.  It is completely silly that the NBA recognizes the Hornets as a continuation of the original Hornets.  

Personally, I would much rather the Wild rename themselves the North Stars but the thing is that now, sixteen years later, Dallas still has the North Stars' history, and have carried that franchise forward since 1993. I'm honestly torn about this. I hate the Wild name, but they have a truly great logo. It's very rare you will hear me say that a logo made in the 21st Century is a true classic but I think the Wild have done that. The problem I have is that unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed. I believe the NHL can have the North Stars and the Stars at the same time but I think it may be too late now, though I would love to see it happen, and I love the old North Star jerseys. I think the best compromise would be for the Wild to have a patch with the North Stars logo. Perhaps instead of the Wild logo in the roundel on the shoulders of their road jersey, maybe they could put the North Stars logo there, but, I could see issues with Dallas if they tried to do that. 

In an alternate universe of my own design, the North Stars do the following:

1) Never change to the proto-Dallas uniforms

2) Never move

3) Adopt the All-Star template with a heavy emphasis on black and the ST^RS logo, which is thoroughly rejected by traditionalist Minnesota fans who miss the N-Star

4) the team shoddily compromises with a home uniform that sticks the old N-Star on the All-Star template but keeps ST^RS on the road

5) the North Stars anticipate the retro movement with a switch to forest green and vintage white, essentially the 2004 ASG template but with no red, which continues to this day as the Stars leverage their Minnesota location into sort of an "America's Team" status alongside the Wings and Hawks

Ideally they work through this whole sequence from 1991-1996 and are in 2004 All-Star Game uniforms and also a St. Paul arena by the 1996-97 season. Also somewhere before or in this, people work for the North Stars who actually figure out how to successfully market the team. I can do concepts if you want.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't care either way but I don't see why an agreement couldn't be made between the two franchises to settle this. Let Minnesota be the North Stars and let Dallas be the Stars or South Stars (Who cares?). It's no different than in MLB, Red Sox and White Sox. It's like arguing "There can only be one team called the SOX!!". 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

In my alternate universe, the Dallas Stars are as accepted and respected as the Los Angeles Lakers, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Cardinals, and Atlanta Braves.

They also would be a dynasty that has been ongoing since the move in 1993, preparing to overtake Montreal for total championships this summer.

3 minutes ago, Morgo said:

No eventual return to Kelly Green?

Nah, I find forest green suits Minnesota better, what with the forests and all. I fell in love with the 2004 ASG uniforms and never fell out. I guess you could say they were my first wife, and the...I'll stop

1 minute ago, ColeJ said:

In my alternate universe, the Dallas Stars are as accepted and respected as the Los Angeles Lakers, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Cardinals, and Atlanta Braves.

blog1310widea.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my alternate universe, people have put this topic to bed once and for all, accept that the Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas to become the Dallas Stars, and then Minnesota was awarded a new expansion franchise called the Wild, and everyone is ok with it, and it was good, and there was much rejoicing.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 minute ago, worcat said:

I don't care either way but I don't see why an agreement couldn't be made between the two franchises to settle this. Let Minnesota be the North Stars and let Dallas be the Stars or South Stars (Who cares?). It's no different than in MLB, Red Sox and White Sox. It's like arguing "There can only be one team called the SOX!!". 

The Dallas Stars have recognized and continued the legacy of he North Stars since 1993. It would asinine to take their pre-1993 history away from them. It's too late for a Cleveland Deal situation. The Stars have been the North Stars of old for too long to start mucking about with history now.

As for the North Stars and Stars co-existing? This is what you (and every other "there are two Sox teams!" poster) fail to realise. The Red Sox and White Sox came about in an era when branding wasn't nearly as important as it is now. If Chicago's AL team were an expansion team today? There's no way they'd be allowed to use a moniker that uses the name Sox. Simply put? The "Red Sox/White Sox" relationship has been grandfathered in, and isn't something you're going to see repeated.

4 minutes ago, worcat said:

I think the Arizona Cardinals have a pretty cool aesthetic and history. I think the Bears should change their name to Chicago Red Cardinals, to honor the Chicago Cardinals history. Also, the Rams should have been called the St. Louis Cardinals... and the actual Cardinals should be forced to go by Arizona Desert Cardinals.

Again, it would be cool for the Wild to be the North Stars if the Dallas Stars weren't busy currently being the North Stars for the past 50 years.

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

The Dallas Stars have recognized and continued the legacy of he North Stars since 1993. It would asinine to take their pre-1993 history away from them. It's too late for a Cleveland Deal situation. The Stars have been the North Stars of old for too long to start mucking about with history now.

As for the North Stars and Stars co-existing? This is what you (and every other "there are two Sox teams!" poster) fail to realise. The Red Sox and White Sox came about in an era when branding wasn't nearly as important as it is now. If Chicago's AL team were an expansion team today? There's no way they'd be allowed to use a moniker that uses the name Sox. Simply put? The "Red Sox/White Sox" relationship has been grandfathered in, and isn't something you're going to see repeated.

Dude I know, I'm just saying in the perfect universe, that would be the best scenario. It would never fly today.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Just now, worcat said:

Dude I know, I'm just saying in the perfect universe, that would be the best scenario. It would never fly today.

So in your perfect universe there are two kelly green teams with star/letter combos for logos?

Sorry, I prefer the universe where Minnesota and Dallas have distinct identities. There's more aesthetic diversity.

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

In an alternate universe of my own design, the North Stars do the following:

1) Never change to the proto-Dallas uniforms

2) Never move

3) Adopt the All-Star template with a heavy emphasis on black and the ST^RS logo, which is thoroughly rejected by traditionalist Minnesota fans who miss the N-Star

4) the team shoddily compromises with a home uniform that sticks the old N-Star on the All-Star template but keeps ST^RS on the road

5) the North Stars anticipate the retro movement with a switch to forest green and vintage white, essentially the 2004 ASG template but with no red, which continues to this day as the Stars leverage their Minnesota location into sort of an "America's Team" status alongside the Wings and Hawks

Ideally they work through this whole sequence from 1991-1996 and are in 2004 All-Star Game uniforms and also a St. Paul arena by the 1996-97 season. Also somewhere before or in this, people work for the North Stars who actually figure out how to successfully market the team. I can do concepts if you want.

1) I would like to see that All-Star template sweater with the N-Star. That actually sounds pretty nice. So yes. Please do concepts, or I just might.

2) How does Dallas get a team? And what's their name? As good as this sounds? I'm not on board with any universe that gives us the Ice Armadillos.

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not on board with any universe that gives us the Ice Armadillos.

Oh c'mon, you don't want this? Just replace Austin with Dallas and you have a great new team identity
teaserbox_4215765357.jpg?t=1451100425

That's way better than 50 years of history from a Class of 67 team, right? 

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived