Minnesota North Stars Rebrand Petition

VancouverFan69

52 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I heard the podcast with Lou Nanne from last week. Everybody he talks to, talk about the North Stars and not the Wild. When the Twin Cities' ESPN radio station did a survey on what name was preferred, North Stars or Wild, the vote count was 44-ZIP North Stars by the end of the hour. Minnesota is "The North Star State".

And yet the petition you linked only had a goal of 100 people. A goal it hasn't even reached yet. So...

hockey week is right. Some people just need to let it go. It's not happening, nor should it.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

And yet the petition you linked only had a goal of 100 people. A goal it hasn't even reached yet. So...

hockey week is right. Some people just need to let it go. It's not happening, nor should it.

We'll just agree to disagree. :)

You can "should" "should" "should" all you want, the thing is, it's never going to happen. 

22 years as the Dallas Stars

16 years as the Minnesota Wild

Dallas just rebranded with new logos and uniforms, which costs a lot to change.

It's never going to happen. Not now, not ever. There are all sorts of things that most people agree on that should be changed that will never be changed (like congressional term limits and that we all want to pay less in taxes), and this doesn't even fall into that category because you don't have massive agreement even on one board. 

It's never going to happen, and that's a fact.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

All I'm getting from this thread is that lots of people want to have sex with sports franchises.

In before the moe anthromoporizations of sports franchises.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Some really good stuff here.  As a lifelong resident of either North Dakota or Minnesota, I have yet to hear of a fan of the team who referred to them as anything other than the "North Stars."  No Minnesota fan I knew in the 1970's thru today ever called them "Stars" for short.

The logo and jersey changes to "Stars" set off all kinds of chatter up here that Norm Green was planning a move to Dallas at some point.  Fans absolutely detested the change.

The banners pictured above weren't hung from the rafters in Dallas until a couple of seasons ago.  For a good portion of the last twenty or so years, those numbers were all on one banner tucked into the corner somewhere.  Dallas did everything it could to pretty much pretend it was an expansion team and ignored its history until the past few seasons. 

Wow do I agree with almost nothing here.  It is mostly anecdotal for us both...

I have memory of people using "Stars" all the time, similarly to how we say "Wolves" for "Timberwolves."  In fact, the Met Center used to play "Let's Go Band," with fans chanting "Go Stars Go" at the end.

I do not remember any fear that the logo change meant a move.  I guess we shoulda.  And the stuff with the new logo flew off the shelves.  The fact that it was introduced after the finals run probably helped.  I am sure some fans did not like the change but I think it was pretty well received.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On April 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

In an article published on the NHL's site, former North Star player and current Wild radio announcer Tom Reid mentions the alumni game as significant in reigniting something within the Minnesota fans. "I don't think there's any question it reinvigorated some of the fans from those days", he said.

The article goes on to say: "If 23 years' worth of time had cooled the emotions of old-school hockey fans in Minnesota still angry about their team being taken away, chances are the outdoor game brought many of those feelings back to the surface."

Reid brings up the alumni game a second time when he talks about the current playoff series, referring also to the excitement caused by the Dallas Stars' first trip back to Minnesota in the Wild's inaugural season of 2000-01: "Judging by the response we had for the outdoor game and the alumni coming here, and how excited [fans] were to see the players of the past, I think this [the playoff matchup] might rejuvenate the feelings from the first year."

While the idea of moving teams' histories is offensive, and while this petition is the work of one lone fan rather than the expression of a movement, perhaps the alumni game did stir up a new wave of North Star nostalgia; so maybe saying that it "started nothing" is a bit strong.

I stand by it.  Nothing in that implies that anyone was trying to start up a Hornets deal.  All it says is that the game and this playoff series stirred up nostalgia and that some fans still have a grudge about it.  I am sure there are Oilers, Colts, Nordiques, etc. fans that are still bitter too.  The fact that fans at a game involving those jerseys and during a Wild vs Stars series talked about it makes sense; that's when they were asked about it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

14 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I hereby move to rename this thread "50 Shades of the North Stars' Added Black".

More like "Gone with the Sin-Bin"

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I just saw on Sportscenter that the Hornets won their first playoff game since 2002.  And as the NBA recognizes, ESPN reported that correctly.  It baffles me that the league has allowed this to be considered reality and that anyone who knows the history would not be infuriated by it.

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Easy enough to see that, but the "A" is also forming an arrow pointing North. Perhaps the designer felt no need to include the extra word to the mark.

Far as I'm concerned, all signs point to that being little more than a progression of the North Stars brand. It just so happens to be what they took with them to Dallas.

Also the fact that the North Stars were ranked dead last of the 21 teams in merchandise sales in 1990 (according to the Hockey News). Green wanted to change the logo and look immediately when he bought the club but it was too late to apply for a uniform change so he had to wait for the next season. 1991/92.

I had so much trouble finding sports shops that carried North Stars merchandise here in the GTA.  Seriously I found more Hartford Whalers stuff than North Stars. I still remember (and this was in the Spring of 1990). I had gone to  a sports shop at Sheridan Mall to buy a Charlotte Hornets garbage can for my brother. (He's not a basketball fan but he loved that logo which was really popular in the late 80's/early 90's). I was looking around for North Stars merchandise and they had NOTHING. Not even a hat. I asked if they had North Stars merchandise and the guy laughed at me. He said something along the lines of "North Stars? No we only carry good teams".

Yeah? Hartford Whalers were a good team? New Jersey Devils were a good team? I felt like punching that little punk in the face. I still remember him with that dopey smirk. He kinda looked like Doug Flutie with a stupid mullet.

Its funny how the memory works. I can remember such trivial things (like wearing the new Sharks jersey at the Mall in the summer of 1991 and getting all these compliments from people about how cool it looked), but I can't remember my own name sometimes. Look I know I'm well into my 40's but sheesh.

The Catch of the Day!

On April 24, 2016 at 9:26 AM, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

Also the fact that the North Stars were ranked dead last of the 21 teams in merchandise sales in 1990 (according to the Hockey News). Green wanted to change the logo and look immediately when he bought the club but it was too late to apply for a uniform change so he had to wait for the next season. 1991/92.

First uniform I ever bought was a black, 1991-92, North Stars replica with the kelly green ST^RS logo.  I went to the store with a gift certificate, in the hopes of buying a green "N-Star" replica, and had no idea they made the change until I got there.  With merchandise sales so low, it's easy to see the rationale in making black the primary colour and replacing athletic gold with a, then unseen, metallic version...  Yet to this day, people think the change was made solely to facilitate the move to Dallas.

23 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I just saw on Sportscenter that the Hornets won their first playoff game since 2002.  And as the NBA recognizes, ESPN reported that correctly.  It baffles me that the league has allowed this to be considered reality and that anyone who knows the history would not be infuriated by it.

I'm not sure what's sadder, that or saying (correctly) that it was the first playoff game win in franchise history.

Still the great forgetting of the Bobcats part of the Horncats history is going to be...entertaining to watch.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

19 hours ago, The Giant Pacific Octopus said:

I had so much trouble finding sports shops that carried North Stars merchandise here in the GTA.  Seriously I found more Hartford Whalers stuff than North Stars. I still remember (and this was in the Spring of 1990). I had gone to  a sports shop at Sheridan Mall to buy a Charlotte Hornets garbage can for my brother. (He's not a basketball fan but he loved that logo which was really popular in the late 80's/early 90's). I was looking around for North Stars merchandise and they had NOTHING. Not even a hat. I asked if they had North Stars merchandise and the guy laughed at me. He said something along the lines of "North Stars? No we only carry good teams".

Ouch.

Sort of ironic that North Stars gear seems a lot easier to get hold of nowadays. A shame most of it comes with a wordmark stuck underneath the logo.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

19 hours ago, Morgo said:

First uniform I ever bought was a 1991-92 North Stars replica with the kelly green ST^RS logo.  I went to the store with a gift certificate, in the hopes of buying a green "N-Star" replica, and had no idea they made the change until I got there.  With merchandise sales so low, it's easy to see the rationale in making black the primary and replacing athletic gold with a, then unseen, metallic version...  Yet to this day, people think the change was made solely to facilitate the move to Dallas.

Norm Green changing the North Stars green uniforms to black was just another short-term cash grab in the 90's BFB$ movement. The idea of the overall change in both the logo and colours was to eventually move the team to Anaheim and have the team be known as the "Los Angeles ST^RS". However, with the NHL's eyes on Disney expansion money, the league allowed Green to move to Dallas instead.

Green was one of professional sports' worst owners. He bought a team that, eventually, came within two wins of winning its first Stanley Cup and then does whatever he could to alienate the North Stars fan base, such as ditching the iconic N* and primary green colour. The NBA Timberwolves offered him a sweetheart deal at the new Target Center but Green insisted to stay at the aging Met Center so he can prove that he's losing money, just so he can punch his ticket to move the team and not face sexual harassment charges.

Anyway, I was actually very hesitant to post the link to the North Stars petition on this message board because of past heated North Stars/Stars/Wild debates I've had on here. I only did it for those who were/are true fans of the Green & Gold, based on what happened in Charlotte and the Red/White Sox scenerio in Major League Baseball. Even the Admirals name was shared in both Milwaukee and Norfolk in the AHL for over ten years. Well, I see that the majority here are strong Stars and Wild(at least the logo) supporters and North Stars 2.0 haters. While I still stand by my views, particularly my hatred of professional sports' worst team name, we just simply have to agree to disagree and move on.

Cheers and peace. 

The Admirals in the AHL happened because both teams were organizations from other leagues that had established long term brand awareness and equity under those monikers.  (dating back to 1971 for Milwaukee and 1989 for Norfolk).  Don't think of it as an example to be mimicked.

Today, we are all otaku.

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Norm Green changing the North Stars green uniforms to black was just another short-term cash grab in the 90's BFB$ movement. The idea of the overall change in both the logo and colours was to eventually move the team to Anaheim and have the team be known as the "Los Angeles ST^RS". However, with the NHL's eyes on Disney expansion money, the league allowed Green to move to Dallas instead.

Green was one of professional sports' worst owners. He bought a team that, eventually, came within two wins of winning its first Stanley Cup and then does whatever he could to alienate the North Stars fan base, such as ditching the iconic N* and primary green colour. The NBA Timberwolves offered him a sweetheart deal at the new Target Center but Green insisted to stay at the aging Met Center so he can prove that he's losing money, just so he can punch his ticket to move the team and not face sexual harassment charges.

Anyway, I was actually very hesitant to post the link to the North Stars petition on this message board because of past heated North Stars/Stars/Wild debates I've had on here. I only did it for those who were/are true fans of the Green & Gold, based on what happened in Charlotte and the Red/White Sox scenerio in Major League Baseball. Even the Admirals name was shared in both Milwaukee and Norfolk in the AHL for over ten years. Well, I see that the majority here are strong Stars and Wild(at least the logo) supporters and North Stars 2.0 haters. While I still stand by my views, particularly my hatred of professional sports' worst team name, we just simply have to agree to disagree and move on.

Cheers and peace. 

Careful...everyone here knows that it was a penchant for high school hockey from what could only be described as the least-supportive fan base in pro sports that killed the team.  Don't try to add gray to this.

I don't actually think dumping the N-Star logo alienated fans.  It was a huge change and I am sure it had some detractors, but the stuff sold well.  New logos/uniforms combined with the Stanley Cup run made that gear pretty popular.

As for the "Evil Norm Green" vs. "Bad Fan Base" it's a bit of both.  As I have mentioned, attendance was going in the right direction, and I agree that the team could have made the Target Center happen, had it wanted to.  And I certainly agree that many owners have, in arena/attendance situations like this, defaulted to trying to stay; Norm was trying to leave.  It was salvageable.  On the other hand, better support in the late 1980s may have taken the entire thing off the table.

My stance is not Stars/Wild love.  I hate the Wild name.  My stance is that at this point, the ship has sailed.  (I also hate Cleveland Deals involving revised history).  To me, the next best thing to never having moved would be if the franchise had taken our history with them but rebranded and we'd gotten the logo/uniform part of the Cleveland Deal.  But that would have had to happen right away.  Or at least before the Wild started.  I'd love the current Minnesota team to be like the Jets.  But it's just too late.

FWIW, I am glad you posted it. (I always love the whole revisionist history debate).

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Revisionist History...

So since the Rams and Colts traded franchises in 1972, then I guess the Colts history is actually the Rams and vice versa? Now I'm really confused.

The only thing that changed for both organizations was the owners.  Not the same thing.  But thanks for trying to muddy the waters.

Today, we are all otaku.

Just now, rams80 said:

The only thing that changed for both organizations was the owners.  Not the same thing.  But thanks for trying to muddy the waters.

Just showing how ridiculous it is to try and say some parts can have history but others can't. Owners, front office, coaches, players, all change.

Archived