Coca Cola merging all Cokes into one look...

2001mark

2 hours ago, TampaBayEverybodyLovesRays said:

I thought those polar bear cans were gorgeous.  I could easily see these new cans causing similar issues though...

Also, when did Diet Coke become Coca-Cola Light?  Did I miss a memo?

"The sweetener blend used for Diet Coke/Coca-Cola Light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference."[16] Some countries began using the term "Coca-Cola Light" as early as the 1990s, with others adopting the name later on, while others continue the use of "Diet Coke".

wikipedia

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

12 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

This will definitely cause problems. I remember a few years ago Coca-Cola unveiled white cans for christmas. Probably one of my favorite designs they have ever done.

But people complained because they purchased the white cans thinking they were Diet Coke, just because they were white. Inevitably the same thing will happen with the new system. I think branding wise it is an okay idea. Just executed pretty poorly for such a huge company. I always associate the swoosh with Coke and circles with Pepsi. The UK designs would have been a more appropriate direction. Just keep the logos, type and swoosh white, while the rest of the can is red, silver, green, black, etc to match each product.

I remember that.  I really liked those white polar bear cans.  Apparently there was some placebo effect with ppl believing their Coca Cola was tasting like Diet or Zero because of the white cans.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I loved the polar bear cans so much I kept a couple of them for a while before I accidentally threw them away while cleaning my room :(

Shortly after people complained, they rereleased the cans but with a red background. I thought they were cool too, but nothing will top their white cans. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I think it was Barcelona where I saw "Coke Zero Zero" (zero caffeine / zero sugar) and that definitely looked weird.

I seems the point of this is to only show the Coca Cola script against a red background.

I get that - it makes perfect sense.  But it doesn't work here.  Based on the designs posted for the UK cans, the way I'd do it is to keep the bottom of all the cans red - the part under the swoosh.  Then color the top of the can based on the variety - red (classic), silver (diet / light), black (zero), purple (cherry), etc.  For the Mexican version, just flip that and keep the top red and color the bottom 3/4 of the can.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, JPDesign said:

IIRC Diet Coke uses the infamous "new coke" recipe whereas Coca-Cola Light actually tastes more similar to Coca-Cola Classic.

Correct, Diet Coke was a diet version of "New Coke", whereas Coke Zero is a diet version of "Coke Classic" (but at the same time has Ace K as a sweetener). I have read some places that Diet Coke was its own formula and that "New Coke" was just an sugar sweetened version of it.  

It would not surprise me to find out Diet Coke is just TAB without the Saccharin using Aspartame. 

12 hours ago, JPDesign said:

IIRC Diet Coke uses the infamous "new coke" recipe whereas Coca-Cola Light actually tastes more similar to Coca-Cola Classic.

Zero is the classic. Light is just non-us branding for diet where regs prevent the use of diet or where it is just more culturally appropriate to use light. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I had both this weekend, Diet Coke and Coke Zero, and its odd cause while Coke Zera tastes more like regular coca-cola, I like the taste of diet coke better, tho it doesnt taste like coke, it tastes good for being a diet.

Both are far better than Diet Pepsi.

Also while I think regular coke doesnt need a new label, diet coke could use a new label, but STILL being called Diet Coke, god I hope Coca-Cola Diet doesnt become a thing.

On 4/22/2016 at 9:02 PM, 2001mark said:

I remember that.  I really liked those white polar bear cans.  Apparently there was some placebo effect with ppl believing their Coca Cola was tasting like Diet or Zero because of the white cans.  

I can see why people would purchase the wrong product on accident:

tumblr_lvjokvfcXK1qghn22.png

I have had a Coke Zero addiction since those white cans first came out. Love it, but hate Diet Coke. The first time I had Coke Light, I was in Mexico. I remember how much better (in my opinion) it taste than diet coke. 

As for the designs, I really don't see a problem with what they're using now. 

10 minutes ago, Morgo said:

There's a difference between Coke Zero and Diet?

Massive difference.

Diet Coke is pretty much it's own unique flavor, while Coke Zero tries to mimic the taste of Original Coke.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

Massive difference.

Diet Coke is pretty much it's own unique flavor, while Coke Zero tries to mimic the taste of Original Coke.

Agreed. I think that Coke Zero does a good job of mimicking the flavor of original Coke. But judging by the comments here, a lot of people disagree. I haven't had a sugary soda in over 10 years, so maybe that's why I feel like it's almost dead on.

The best way that I can describe it is that it's like Original Coke without the taste/feel of 10 bags of sugar in your mouth for the rest of the day. Diet Coke from the fountain is passable, but it's awful from a can. 

Archived