Rio 2016 Olympics

JosiahWVU

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned this in the SIG Olympics thread, but I thought it looked goofy that the golfers left the 18th hole, changed out of their golf attire and into less formal sweatsuits for the medal ceremony. I know those are the official podium sweatsuits for each country so I like the consistency that every sport wears the same thing on the medal podium, but it just felt off for golf. Matt Kuchar looked especially uncomfortable in his nike sweatsuit and volt green shoes.

105819267_Rose-Stenson-Golf-SPORT-large_

15GOLF-master768.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Mentioned this in the SIG Olympics thread, but I thought it looked goofy that the golfers left the 18th hole, changed out of their golf attire and into less formal sweatsuits for the medal ceremony. I know those are the official podium sweatsuits for each country so I like the consistency that every sport wears the same thing on the medal podium, but it just felt off for golf. Matt Kuchar looked especially uncomfortable in his nike sweatsuit and volt green shoes.

105819267_Rose-Stenson-Golf-SPORT-large_

15GOLF-master768.jpg

Matt Kuchar always looks awkward, I doubt it had anything to do with the attire he was wearing.  In fact, I saw an article saying he was excited he got to put on the "USA Jacket" to get the medal.

On 8/8/2016 at 5:06 AM, DiePerske said:

Because, at least in the case of France, it isn't a soccer thing, but a ringless version of their Olympic committee logo. CNOSF-French-Olympic-Committee-logo-2015

So I guess the problem is the USOC's logos are worse than, e.g., France and Germany.

Given that the USSF and Nike had theoretically had a choice among these markedly mediocre logos (and extractions thereof), they should have gone with the shield for the soccer jerseys.

Brand-Usage-600x170.jpg

If only the USOC would adopt something akin to the logo used in the 1976 Canada Cup, that would give the teams a decent logo option:

pleauusa76cancup.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Some interesting things I've seen on the Track/Athletics side.

USA marathoners were given white gear as seen with the women. Including a ventilated option worn by Des Linden who seems to prefer the loose gear. Figure Rupp will sport a ventilated look on the men's side Sunday.

992-Kenya-finally-wins-marathon-Olympic-

Another thing in Track has been some athletes making sure to get their shoes visible in key shots since athletes and their sponsors are prohibited by the IOC from mentioning each other during a blackout period surrounding the Olympics- unless it's an official Olympic sponsor.

So you get Wade Van Niekerk of South Africa showing off his Adidas

Wayde-van-Niekerk-world-record-rio-2016-

Emma Coburn making sure her New Balance are in the shots of her celebrating her Bronze medal

mqdefault.jpg

And ditto Jenny Simpson after her bronze in the 1500

650x366

I'm surprised this hasn't happened more, but we're talking about people at the peak of their athletic lives. Their sponsors probably aren't on their mind. Though I'm sure Puma wishes, say, Andre DeGrasse would've thrown his shoes over his shoulder while celebrating with his Canadian flag after his 100m Silver.

Nike, noticeably has all their athletes wearing shoes of the exact same color pattern. Sprints, throws, jumps, distance. Everyone.

19 hours ago, RichO said:

Some interesting things I've seen on the Track/Athletics side.

USA marathoners were given white gear as seen with the women. Including a ventilated option worn by Des Linden who seems to prefer the loose gear. Figure Rupp will sport a ventilated look on the men's side Sunday.

992-Kenya-finally-wins-marathon-Olympic-

Another thing in Track has been some athletes making sure to get their shoes visible in key shots since athletes and their sponsors are prohibited by the IOC from mentioning each other during a blackout period surrounding the Olympics- unless it's an official Olympic sponsor.

So you get Wade Van Niekerk of South Africa showing off his Adidas

Wayde-van-Niekerk-world-record-rio-2016-

Emma Coburn making sure her New Balance are in the shots of her celebrating her Bronze medal

mqdefault.jpg

And ditto Jenny Simpson after her bronze in the 1500

650x366

I'm surprised this hasn't happened more, but we're talking about people at the peak of their athletic lives. Their sponsors probably aren't on their mind. Though I'm sure Puma wishes, say, Andre DeGrasse would've thrown his shoes over his shoulder while celebrating with his Canadian flag after his 100m Silver.

Nike, noticeably has all their athletes wearing shoes of the exact same color pattern. Sprints, throws, jumps, distance. Everyone.

DeGrasse gets a lot of commercial revenue these guys won't, so showing off their shoes is how they earn a little more. This isn't new, I've recalled pictures like this going back to Sydney. It happens more during the Diamond League and other international competitions if they are wearing uniforms made by a different sponsor, like when adidas athletes race in Team USA gear which is made by Nike. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, illini1 said:

I noticed that Brazil has gold in between their numbers and the green outline. Has their numbers always been like that or is it something they did for the Olympics?

C2T7OJT.jpg

That's just the new nike font. France and the us have it to, and likely England as well(can't remember for sure on England)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

That's just the new nike font. France and the us have it to, and likely England as well(can't remember for sure on England)

I meant it appears to be metallic gold, not athletic gold, between the number and the outline. 

On 9/8/2016 at 4:14 AM, mjd77 said:

Anyone know what brand the Venezuela unis are?  I don't think I've seen that logo before.

Kinda late reply, but I've just seen this thread. Venezuela unis were made by a local brand called Skyros.

Archived