What will Under Armour do at Wisconsin?

PackerBadger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.facebook.com/wisconsinfootball/?fref=ts&__nodl

Wisconsin’s FB page has the Football uniforms.   Not too crazy...arrows incorporated.   New font.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13754378_1214415245257144_25791639197216

They chose the wrong font for the large numbers on the front (and presumably back) of the jersey.  There isn't enough negative space.  It's the same problem you see on the Eagles practice jerseys:

20140617_jla_sq4_254.jpg.0.jpg

Under Armour should use Badger Heavy for the large numbers, Badger Bold for the TV numbers, and Badger Light for the player names.

badger.png?w=788

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You're right - ye gods, that's a terrible font. 

Totally unrelated: was your profile photo taken from a US postal stamp picture?

I know it might be blasphemy for Badger fans but I wish they would have done something to distinguish themselves from Nebraska. Nothing crazy but just something. But aside from the font that I am not crazy about, Wisconsin has a very nice clean look.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

I know it might be blasphemy for Badger fans but I wish they would have done something to distinguish themselves from Nebraska. Nothing crazy but just something. But aside from the font that I am not crazy about, Wisconsin has a very nice clean look.

I don't like the new font so this is a downgrade overall.  But I'll take it over the crazyness that could have happened.

I think the biggest things to change vs. Nebraska could have been to go back to the darker cardinal (which was used on helmet decals until recently)  and maybe to change the two-stripe pattern.  Note that they had two stripes well before Alvarez came over and I am not convinced they've ever really copied Nebraska.  But the issue is still there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I don't like the new font so this is a downgrade overall.  But I'll take it over the crazyness that could have happened.

I think the biggest things to change vs. Nebraska could have been to go back to the darker cardinal (which was used on helmet decals until recently)  and maybe to change the two-stripe pattern.  Note that they had two stripes well before Alvarez came over and I am not convinced they've ever really copied Nebraska.  But the issue is still there.

I'm not sure which school copied the other. I only said Wisconsin should have set themselves apart from Nebraska because they were changing their supplier. A darker cardinal would be nice but I really love the reds that they have now. One of my favorite matchups to see is Penn State vs Wisconsin because of the navy and red. So, all in all, status quo with the uniforms is good.

4 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I'm not sure which school copied the other. I only said Wisconsin should have set themselves apart from Nebraska because they were changing their supplier. A darker cardinal would be nice but I really love the reds that they have now. One of my favorite matchups to see is Penn State vs Wisconsin because of the navy and red. So, all in all, status quo with the uniforms is good.

I will admit that if one copied the other it is Wisconsin copying Nebraska.  Think about where those programs were in the 1980s.

However, I have never quite bought the somewhat-accepted idea that Barry Alvarez (who had been on Nebraska's staff) wanted to look like them.  I think (but could be wrong) that the red was already lighter by the time he arrived.  I know the two-stripe sleeves pre-date him.  I tend to think that it's just kinda by chance and Nebraska's move to the Big Ten has made it a topic.  There  is not much you can do with red and white; neither team wants to add black trim (good).  I tend to think the two-stripes is a coincidence and same with the shade of red (though I really don't know why Wisconsin's red is lighter).

Funny; the 1980s Badgers looked a lot like a recolor of the 1980s Jets.

As for the uniform, slight downgrade.  The "arrow" motif is kinda cheesy but at least not gaudy.  The number font is a downgrade (but it is a separation from Nebraska, I guess).  But it coulda been worse.

POTD (Shared)

18 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The "arrow" motif is kinda cheesy but at least not gaudy.

It's funny. I didn't even see the arrow motif until I saw other pictures. It is cheesy and unnecessary. Is there any historical significance to forever forward? Or is it a new mantra for the program?

14 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

It's funny. I didn't even see the arrow motif until I saw other pictures. It is cheesy and unnecessary. Is there any historical significance to forever forward? Or is it a new mantra for the program?

"Forward" is the state motto.  "Forever Forward" is an Under Armor take on it.  So yuck.

POTD (Shared)

Wisconsin doesn't look bad, I just really wish that they tried more to deistance themselves from Nebraska. Either changing the red to a true Cardinal or bringing back the red helmets would have been fine. Even though with the red helmets they kinda look like Indiana. 

image.png

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

^That Red helmet is nice.

The one with all the black that they later used is not.  And if they bring back a red helmet it will probably be the later. So I hope not.

POTD (Shared)

So I'll be the (slight) contrarian and say that I like it.  I like the font, though I agree that it should be a little thinner so that the numbers are more distinct.  One of the Eagles' problems is that 6, 8, and 9 often look the same when the jersey is not perfectly flat, and this font may have the same issue.

Other than that, it's distinct, and I"m one of the few that likes the motion W so I'm glad that stayed.  I couldn't care less about the arrows, but  I would not place them in the "stupid" category, so whatever.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

44 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Wisconsin doesn't look bad, I just really wish that they tried more to deistance themselves from Nebraska. Either changing the red to a true Cardinal or bringing back the red helmets would have been fine. Even though with the red helmets they kinda look like Indiana. 

image.png

Wisconsin has had white helmets going back to the 1940s.  I wouldn't want to see them adopt red full-time. 

54 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

^That Red helmet is nice.

The one with all the black that they later used is not.  And if they bring back a red helmet it will probably be the later. So I hope not.

The only reason to bring the second helmet back is if there is black on the jerseys and pants. Otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived