Best team to lose in Championship game

Gamingboy

What are the best teams to lose in Championship games (World Series, Super Bowl etc. etc.)

I'd gotta say...

Football:

1990 Buffalo Bills: Nor-wide Right

Baseball:

1969 Baltimore Orioles: The Mets suddenly became gods (A computer simulation was done in a book I once read, that showed that the Orioles would have won 75 of 100 world series)

1954 Cleveland Indians: They had a near unprecedented season, but that was irrelevent against the Giants

Most Dodgers/Giants teams of the 1950s.

1906 Chicago Cubs: Fell to the White Sox

Insert Witty Signature Here.

2001 Rams is probably the best team ever to lose in a championship, bar none. Sad thing is -- they lost to what, according to ESPN, many feel was the worst championship team ever in the New England Patriots.

And then there's any Yankees team. The management of that team sucks. Any team with that much higher of a payroll then anyone else should have a win/loss record that is not unlike that of the Harlem Globetrotters

IUe6Hvh.png

the 1960's Calgary Stampeders--from 62-69 they went 82-42-4, and only one of those years below .500 (7-8-1 in 1966) They made it to the Grey Cup once--losing 24-21 to Ottawa in 1968.

They also had excellent teams in 78 & 79, unfortunately those years overlap with the Edmonton Eskimos' best years...

Still in 79 they demolished the Lions 37-2 to take the West semi final and only lost 17-9 to the Eskimos in the Western Final.

OOPS wrong thread...

okay 1995 Stampeders...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

How bout the 1961 Yankees... Mantle and Maris combining for over 110 homers

The Yankees won in 61. It was 60 when the dominated the Pirates in the series but still lost.

ah crap... well the 60 yankees still should've won.... didnt they outscore them by incredible amounts in that series?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

My contribution would be the 1969 Oakland Raiders, they won the AFL West at 12-2 (I think) and beat Kansas City twice during the regular season, but due to a one year playoff format to match up with the NFL, the Chiefs got in with the second best record in the division, beat the Jets in Shea and went to Oakland, where lore has it the Raiders had their busses packed for the trip to New Orleans and the Super Bowl. The Chiefs won 16-7 and beat the Vikings a couple of weeks later in Super Bowl IV. I'd also have to add the '68 Colts and the '98 Vikings

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

ah crap... well the 60 yankees still should've won.... didnt they outscore them by incredible amounts in that series?

1960 World Series Results:

Game 1: Pittsburgh 6-4

Game 2: New York 16-3

Game 3: New York 10-0

Game 4: Pittsburgh 3-2

Game 5: Pittsburgh 5-2

Game 6: New York 12-0

Game 7: Pittsburgh 10-9

Final Score:

New York 55

Pittsburgh 27

Wait... 4-3 is all that really mattered. :D

mazeroski23852.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I contribute the '93 Phillies, winners of the United States Baseball Championship. Damn you to fluffing coughsuffering eternal hell, Joe Carter!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The Bills in the early 1990s must be somewhere on the list, to have the guts to keep returning to the superbowl despite all the heartache they had showed they had guts, and to get to, was it 4?? superbowls in a row is a testament to the strength of that team.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

the 2003-2004 Topeka Tin Man of the ULL........D'Oh, we are talking about REAL sports.

NFL: The Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Carolina Panthers are big in my book. Those are the closest Super Bowls in recent years.

NHL: Buffalo Sabres....we all know their story.....

NBA: 2003/2004 Lakers HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MLB: Yanks last year and in 2001

Arena: Arizona Rattlers last 3 years.

and....your MOM! Sorry had to be an ass.

1997 Green Bay Packers.

By all rights, once the undefeated season nonsense talk halted in week 2 with a stunning missed gimme field goal loss to the Eagles, the '97 incarnation of the Pack was even better than the 96 Champs. The exorcized the Dallas demon, crushed the Vikes in Minny on Monday night and seemed to be steamrolling toward back to back titles. The playoffs were a joke and they walked all over the Niners in Frisco in the NFC title game.

With absolutely NO disrespect intended toward that VERY great Broncos team....the rumors and questions surrounding Holmgren's desire to also be a GM during superbowl week (IMHO) deflated a dynasty in the making. The Packer team that took the field that night (and still could've won til the end) was not the same team that had been rolling until that point.

Should they have been installed as a 13pt favorite?? No. that was insulting and ridiculous. But I believe the players were distraught that Holmgren would even discuss something of that nature, with the present task of repeating as Champs at hand...I know as a fan I was.

Ugh.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived