Ice Cream Helmets and Other Souvenirs

Gobbi

On 4/4/2017 at 4:30 PM, Fanboy said:

A few teams are starting to come out with different versions of the ice cream helmet. Braves have a red and blue version, Dodgers started having a pink helmet, Padres blue and brown, ect.  Good luck on the collection.  Many minor leagues have then but not all. They aren't even based on size.  Las Vegas, Triple A doesn't do them but Eugene short season A has them.  When I went to the Asheville Tourists game, the ice cream lady said, "why would we sell those, we are Braves fans", which is single A team for the rockies.  You can even find some colleges having them. For instance I have one from USC, but they only had it one day as a promotion.  I started collection them when I started taking more road trips to stadiums and wanted to collect something other than my ticket (which all end up in a book).  My friend collected bobble heads but at one point they got expensive and hard to display unless you have a collectors room, but who wants to display teams you hate just because you went there?  Same thing with getting a t-shirt.  The helmets are awesome because they are cheap, stackable, and you get ice cream!  I don't have a photo of the 30 plus helmets I've earned, with sit ups after the ice cream, but I stack mine in order of what I thought of the stadium or experiences I had there.  Will make a shadow box when I finish my stadium tour.

As for the rest of the sports, I think the only thing you'll find that are universal are soda cups.  Most stadiums I have found carry them, and will also change them if you go to a special game like an All Star Game or World Series.  I just got one from the World Baseball Classic Final, but they didn't make their own ice cream helmet just had the Dodgers.  

As a random note... when you make it to Miller Park in Milwaukee, you will not find an ice cream helmet nor will they make an exception if you try to ask to put in ice cream into their helmets.  They fill them with Cheese Curds. When in Rome I guess... 

they also sell ice cream in the sundae cups - I just had some two nights ago.  It might not be at all stands - not sure about that part.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only time I've gone to a stadium for an actual game was one time when my aunt got free tickets to a Bucks game but couldn't convince her own son to go with her, so she asked me instead...I still have the program somewhere, as well as the little Grant Hill poster and ticket stub, though I long ago lost the deck of playing cards I bought at the BC.  Among crap I've either bought or gotten in the mail, there's an Expos mini-helmet with an earflap and stand that I found in a dollar store once, a Cubs Convention pennant I found at the Village years ago, a Kalamazoo Wings media guide I got in the mail from em during their IHL days (sigh...I miss you IHL...you weren't lame like the AHL)...and I think that's it for now.

EDIT: forgot about a few Admirals pucks I bought at the Village years ago-one has the late 80s-early 90s skating admiral, one has the early 80s skating sailor, and the last one has a celebrating version of the sailor...as well as a full size Mariners helmet I won at a carnival.  And a pair of towels my uncle got his hands on from the Rams' training camp back when they held it at Western Illinois' campus...around 98 or 99 IIRC.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 4/14/2017 at 8:59 AM, rsaline said:

Giants no longer have ice cream helmets. I was really upset until I found a CREAM stand and then I was less upset. Who doesn't have ice cream helmets???

Thanks for ruining my day.

spacer.png

On 2017-04-14 at 8:59 AM, rsaline said:

Giants no longer have ice cream helmets. I was really upset until I found a CREAM stand and then I was less upset. Who doesn't have ice cream helmets???

Brutal! I hope that's not a trend that spreads to other parks. Glad I've already crossed AT&T Park off my list if that's the case though. 

• 1 year later...

I got to add two more to my collection during my recent trip to NYC:

MnHr9uu.jpg

I was happy to see that Citi Field had a stadium exclusive orange helmet with Mr. Met on it! 

Reviving this thread to ask a question:

Recently I moved to a new apartment and just have my helmets sitting on my windowsill. I'm considering having a friend build a little display case that can double as a rankings tracker, but I was curious what methods others have come up with to display them creatively. I can't believe no one makes an off the shelf display case for these yet, seems like a common collectible. 

Anubis.png

On 6/1/2018 at 12:07 AM, Anubis2051 said:

Reviving this thread to ask a question:

Recently I moved to a new apartment and just have my helmets sitting on my windowsill. I'm considering having a friend build a little display case that can double as a rankings tracker, but I was curious what methods others have come up with to display them creatively. I can't believe no one makes an off the shelf display case for these yet, seems like a common collectible. 

Right now, I don't even have mine fully displayed. They're stacked up on top of a book shelf. I usually have them spread out, but I've run out of space for souvenirs from all games.

For baseball, my general rule is: mini-bat and a simple team logo baseball.  If I go back again, I try to get maybe a different color bat or one of the 'fancy' baseballs (Erie SeaWolves have a plaid textured ball). My favorite bat I have now is Akron RubberDucks in yellow. Something they don't sell this season. But, do have the baby blue color of their special jerseys. Went to two Indians games this year, and it was interesting finding their bats and balls with or without Chief Wahoo. One bat had a fire-flame pattern with the Indians script, while another had Chief Wahoo very small at the end of a regular looking bat that was multi-colored. The balls, too, were odd. The one with the Indians script featured Wahoo, while the one with the block C featured Progressive Field. I ended up getting the Progressive Field one since it looks more like a 'plain' team ball.

Aside from a bat and ball, I like to get a program (affiliate ball is usually free) and schedule.

For NFL, I've never been to enough different stadiums to have a 'thing' to get.

For MLS/Soccer, I always got a scarf. Each time with a new design. Though, now, today there's just too many. Luckily I haven't been to an MLS game in two years. I know scarf designs have gotten out of hand.

Hockey has always been a logo hockey puck. Sometimes a miniature hockey stick but not really a fan of them as they don't seem to be consistent across leagues.

For all sports, I do like to keep the ticket stub, get a program, and any time of 'giveaway'.

Now, after all that, one thing I really want to find is 'mini baseballs'. I have two. One was from a Connecticut Tigers game and the other is from a Salt Lake Bees game. But I cannot find them anywhere anymore. These were balls that were about half the diameter of a regulation baseball. If a ball was $8, the mini ball was $3 or $4. And yet I can never find them anywhere. Closest I could was at Lake County Captains had them, but they had a hook screwed into one end as a 'christmas ornament' and the panels are red and green with the Captains face logo.

But, that's it. Was this a bigger item years ago and I just caught the tail end of it when I started going to games? Or is this just an oddity not many teams ever had?

Archived