Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About the D.C. or Washington Stars.

please have mercy on the dallas/fort worth metroplex....

how insanely confusing would THAT get?

"want some tickets to the stars/rangers game tonight?"

"sure!.... wait.... the stars are playing the red wings tonight... in detroit..."

"ohh.. i meant the baseball game in arlington."

J. Quincy King, nice your logo... but too full of stars.

It tastes alots of politics in an electoral year.

The lettering is wonderful.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I'm enjoying all the posts on here with respect to the "new" nickname of the Montreal Expos team in lieu of their impending move to our nation's capitol in 2005.

One email I heard last night on ESPN's Game Night suggested that since the Expos went from Montreal to San Juan, and now to D.C. to call them the "Washington Wanderers". That was amusing to me.

The American League has two teams named for birds, the Orioles and Blue Jays, the NL has only the Cardinals.

What about the "Washington Eagles"? The Eagle is after all the national bird of the USA, and it would give a bird "balance", having 2 bird teams per league.

I do not see this being embraced by many however. For one, the Washington Redskins have the Philadelphia Eagles as a long time division nemesis, and I think Washingtonians would not necessarily embrace that as a nickname.

For another, it might rub salt in some of Peter Angelos' wounds, having not only a team just 40 miles away from his precious Orioles, but to have a bird name at that. I think his contention that he would lose revenue is FOR the birds. I attended a game in Baltimore 3 weeks ago, and I dare say MORE than 50% of the fans who were in attendance were YANKEE fans. The novelty of the "new old style ballpark" has worn out now, and without Cal, they just don't feel like the Orioles anymore. My wife, who knows just a little about sports, said it best. A new stadium isn't going to put @$$e$ in the seats, putting and fielding a competitive team is what does it, but I digress.

I too liked the idea of the Washington Federals as a new nickname for the relocated Expos. Maybe have a home cap with "W" and a road cap with an interlocking "DC" on it.

Someone made a comment that there are too many "red white and blue" teams in baseball. The Phillies, Expos and Cubs come to mind, and to a lesser extent the Los Angeles Dodgers too, because of the red numerals on their uniform fronts, and the red streaking baseball incorporated in their logo. The AL has the Texas Rangers in red, white and blue, and the Yankees logo is red white and blue as well. So perhaps that is a valid argument to not keep the same red, white and blue colors.

When I heard that Grays was being considered, I really liked that idea the best. It would be nice to incorporate more of the Negro League history into MLB. The only thing right now that I see is that MLB has retired #42 throughout the majors. This would be another small, nice, and long overdue step in acknowledging that today's major leagues are what they are thanks to the wealth of talent that was in the Negro Leagues. Grey is not a common color for caps now either, although didn't the Blue Jays have, or ponder having a gray graphite type cap and then ditch it? I also recall for a year or two the Pirates and Royals had gray road caps which did nothing for me.

I do not believe Grays would be used though, because gray is quite frankly, not a very exciting color. This is one reason why I believe many mlb teams are embracing more and more the "alternate" softball style uniform tops in lieu of road grays. I for one would love to see the Grays be used at a nickname. I'd also like to see their new stadium named to honor Walter Johnson somehow.

I would not want to see Senators as the nickname, for the simple reason that Senators was an AL team, and this is an NL team.

Regards,

Bill McD.

Read Michael Wilbon's article on the Washington Post site... A persuasive argument for either the Senators or the Grays.

And for those who don't know, or are getting caught up in the hoopla, a little trivia: The Homestead Grays actually split time between Griffith Stadium in DC and Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. The "Homestead" in the team name refers to the neighborhood on the south side of Pittsburgh where the team originated.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Washington should have a patriotic name of some sorts and should have red, white, and blue (the expos current colors, so there would not be an increase of red white and blue teams). I don't understand the argument against the name Presidents and Senators because it's an election year. There is always as long as the US exist be a president or senators. So, unlees the new team name is the George Bushes or the John Kerries I don't see how that has anything to do with the election and why they shouldn't use it. If they can't get a deal with the Rangers for Senators done, then they should use Presidents.

As for what somewhat said about the O's, I firmly belive that Angelos has purposly driven the team in the ground in order to drive down attendance in order to make it appear like a washington team would kill his franchise. I don't think one will, and I think this might be the best thing for Orioles fans because this is out of the way and maybe Angelos will try to rebuild the right way to try to get people to Baltimore and not Washington.

Read Michael Wilbon's article on the Washington Post site... A persuasive argument for either the Senators or the Grays.

And for those who don't know, or are getting caught up in the hoopla, a little trivia: The Homestead Grays actually split time between Griffith Stadium in DC and Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. The "Homestead" in the team name refers to the neighborhood on the south side of Pittsburgh where the team originated.

Pittsburgh actually has paid some tribute to the Grays in recent years. The major bridge that extends over the Allegheny River into Homestead was renamed two years ago to the "Homestead Grays Bridge." It's significant since it's the main artery into one of the region's biggest shopping areas (yet another steel site transformed into a commercial district).

i'm curious whether Pittsburgh folks would be upset if the Grays name is used in Washington.

If they are, it's face-spiting time.

The Homestead Grays would be remembered much more on a national scale if a major league team took its name as theirs.

I don't think Pittsburghers are that petty, to sabotage the legacy rather than share it.

Were New Yorkers offended by the Tennessee Titans? Were Dallas fans offended by the Houston Texans?

Why does Washington "need" a "patriotic" name? Aren't some of you who are saying that the same people who complain when Texas teams have "stereotypically Texas" names/logos?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As of current, I believe Washington has exactly one patriotic (or at least, political) name - the Capitals. Redskins and Wizards do not fit in that category.

Adding the Senators would merely even it up.

The Grays is a decent name, but the more I think about it, the less I like it. For some reason, it just seems forced and overly PC. Plus, I always associated the Grays with Pittsburgh.

I only want them to be the "Grays" if they use a "gray" alien as the mascot and logo. :P Seriously though, I like the historical side of the grays, but it just doesn't seem that it would play well. I can't see it as marketable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

A) Washington should not be forced into a patriotic name, just like Buffalo should

not be forced into names only relative to the Bison (Braves, Sabres are good

examples.) DC's favorite team is the Redskins, not particularly patriotic at

all.

B) Redskins: Maroon & Gold

Caps & Wizzzzzids: Blue, Bronze & Black

So, why do we need to keep the ridiculous numbers of RWB teams going

in DC?

C) Political names are often either partisan or just not good sports names.

"Welcome your Washington Wonks"

"And now, at first for your Washington Porkbarrelers..."

D) I don't mind Greys, if they go old school (think Memphis Chicks look)

E) I still like the idea of the "Vets", it's sorta political, sorta military without

being too militaristic or partisan.

F) One last idea: The Washington WhiteFlight, since the team will be in DC

but all the wealthy white fans & sponsors will drive in from the suburbs

and try to get back out to the suburbs after the game without driving

on DC surface streets.

B) Redskins: Maroon & Gold

Caps & Wizzzzzids: Blue, Bronze & Black

So, why do we need to keep the ridiculous numbers of RWB teams going

in DC?

Well, as you say, there are no teams in Washington who currently wear the national colors. So the new Senators could, and still be unique in the District. Don't know what you mean about "keep the ridiculous numbers of RWB teams going".

"Senators" is a political name that's neither partisan nor "not good." It's perfect for the team.

To my mind, Senators is the clear winner, unless one can make a very compelling case for another. Grays is the only one that's even come close so far.

Archived