Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

On 10/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, kimball said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what uniform number rules?

Dont care has it right.  The rule is still followed in the NCAA, and most amateur competitions mandate that only these numbers be used. 

Thankfully, when I played basketball in college intramural leagues and later men's rec leagues, I was able to keep my lifetime soccer and football number of  12 (or when I was called for a foul, "one finger, two fingers")

It is what it is.

On 10/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, dont care said:

Numbers had to be 5 or lower so refs when calling fouls they only had to show the numbers on each hand, so 43 would be 4 fingers and 3 fingers ect

On 10/27/2022 at 7:28 PM, B-Rich said:

Dont care has it right.  The rule is still followed in the NCAA, and most amateur competitions mandate that only these numbers be used. 

Thankfully, when I played basketball in college intramural leagues and later men's rec leagues, I was able to keep my lifetime soccer and football number of  12 (or when I was called for a foul, "one finger, two fingers")

Ok, I see that rule for college ball, but I don't see anything for the NBA. There were a number of players that had numbers with digits 6-9 and above 55. Additionally, a little bit of digging I did on my own suggest Maravich changed his number in 1975 to #7 as a fresh start entering his seventh season. Another side note, Maravich wore #44 with the Hawks after his LSU number #23 was worn by Lou Hudson, so he went with his college PPG average. Huh.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 10/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, dont care said:

Numbers had to be 5 or lower so refs when calling fouls they only had to show the numbers on each hand, so 43 would be 4 fingers and 3 fingers ect

Not sure if or when that rule was ever enforced in the NBA. The Celtics had quite a few players in the 60s and 70s with numbers that would have violated that rule: Bill Russell (#6), John Havlicek (#17), Dave Cowens (#18), Don Nelson (#19). Even the Lakers' George Mikan wore #99 and he played until 1956.

Early college images would show players wearing double numbers 00, 11, 22, 33, etc through 99, but starting the late 50s they went to only using digits 0-5.

• Like 4

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

It was never a rule in the BAA/NBA, only at college (and possibly high school?) level.

Yeah, that's what I am seeing as well in what I can find online. I am sure between when that rule was made in the college ranks to ... probably ... the mid-90s(?) when numbers like #91 (Rodman), #76 (Shawn Bradley), #77 (Gheorge Muresan), etc. started getting used in the NBA that you just didn't see many unusual numbers because players wanted to carry over their college numbers.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 11/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, Old School Fool said:

Found some pictures from the 1997/98 Preseason where some games used the ABA ball.

Yes, that's Kobe Bryant dunking with an ABA ball and it's amazing.

GettyImages-507986654-scaled-e1665708941

ETL3Dh1UYAEhIY_?format=jpg&name=large

kobe-bryant-competing-for-the-los-angele

That was something the 4 ABA teams did to mark the 30th anniversary of the founding of that league. I seem to remember at least one team (think it was Denver) asking permission to use the ball in a regular season game but were shot down.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Discogod said:

That was something the 4 ABA teams did to mark the 30th anniversary of the founding of that league. I seem to remember at least one team (think it was Denver) asking permission to use the ball in a regular season game but were shot down.

I'd love to see the ABA teams do that again, especially in the regular season. And, let's be honest, the NBA and Nike would be all over it.

• Like 4

kimball banner.png

14 hours ago, kimball said:

I'd love to see the ABA teams do that again, especially in the regular season. And, let's be honest, the NBA and Nike would be all over it.

Actually, I got that wrong. Denver wanted to use the ABA ball in a 1995 game against the Pacers - both teams were wearing ABA-era throwbacks. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Bernard King in a Jazz uniform during the 1979-80 season. He played 19 games for the team until he got into legal trouble and was traded to Golden State in the offseason. I've only been able to find two photos of him, both aren't ideal, but it's fun to come across them.

F4F36CC6-FC04-4FBD-9074-86974707B982_1_201_a

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

I don't know if anyone has any insight on this picture, but Dr. J is wearing a makeshift #6 jersey. It looks like tape? I am assuming his jersey was either stolen or lost. 

52507779647_7b3d129330_w.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

kimball banner.png

On 11/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, kimball said:

I don't know if anyone has any insight on this picture, but Dr. J is wearing a makeshift #6 jersey. It looks like tape? I am assuming his jersey was either stolen or lost. 

52507779647_7b3d129330_w.jpg

I don't know the story here, but if it was an unnumbered jersey, can't they just let him play on his own recognizance?  I mean, it's not like the refs, announcers, and fans need his number to know that it's Dr. J.  If it's some jabroni like the guy he's dunking on, then sure - he needs a number.  But guys like him, Kareem, MJ, etc. could get away for a game without one.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/23/2022 at 10:26 PM, BBTV said:

I don't know the story here, but if it was an unnumbered jersey, can't they just let him play on his own recognizance?  I mean, it's not like the refs, announcers, and fans need his number to know that it's Dr. J.  If it's some jabroni like the guy he's dunking on, then sure - he needs a number.  But guys like him, Kareem, MJ, etc. could get away for a game without one.

NBA rules state that a player's jersey must display both a front and rear number. It's the only element that HAS to appear on the uniform.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 3:34 PM, kimball said:

Bernard King in a Jazz uniform during the 1979-80 season. He played 19 games for the team until he got into legal trouble and was traded to Golden State in the offseason. I've only been able to find two photos of him, both aren't ideal, but it's fun to come across them.

F4F36CC6-FC04-4FBD-9074-86974707B982_1_201_a

Like a lot of NBA arenas that lasted well into the 1990s, the Salt Palace was such a charmingly...modest-looking place.

utah-jazz-vs-milwaukee-bucks.webp?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&c=WO2hMet4sZA9Ux8RaLlv1HrljvOPevCYmuJBPb9KDP0=

Los Angeles Lakers v Utah Jazz

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, eastfirst107 said:

Like a lot of NBA arenas that lasted well into the 1990s, the Salt Palace was such a charmingly...modest-looking place.

utah-jazz-vs-milwaukee-bucks.webp?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&c=WO2hMet4sZA9Ux8RaLlv1HrljvOPevCYmuJBPb9KDP0=

I agree. I was way too young to remember my first Jazz game at the Salt Palace. But, before they tore it down I was able to attend a couple of Golden Eagles games, a few circuses, Disney on Ice shows and a few NBA All-Star Weekend events back in 1993. It definitely showed it's age, but there really was a charm to it that you don't see in any of the modern arenas.

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

I miss those old barns. Seeing the Irish Rainbows reminded me of the old MECCA. This one is from before the floor that would make it famous.

spacer.png

It's funny to me when people claim the Bucks have a fairweather fanbase because all they ever knew until recently was them playing in the Bradley Center. A horrible arena with no atmosphere. Nothing beat the atmosphere at the MECCA. It would get so loud the sound would bounce off the ceiling and make the walls vibrate. We really lost something when they moved to the Bradley Center. Granted it didn't help that the team absolutely stunk until we got Ray Allen. Then George Karl had him traded away for peanuts.

I'm glad we're starting to get the old atmosphere back now with the Forum. But nothing will ever beat the old MECCA to me.

• Like 1

One of my favorite old spots is the Memorial Coliseum in Portland. One of the coolest looking places to me when I would see old footage and images as a kid.

The building seems to be very usable still. I just saw a game the other day on ESPN between UNC/Alabama that went to QUADRUPLE OVERTIME and it was in the Memorial Coliseum. Looked great. I get why the Blazers had to move on, it was too small but it had a cool atmosphere.

jerome-kersey-blazers-bulls-1992-finals-

Also it has windows.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

bSLCtu2.png