The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

NFL-style MLB Realignment (playoff format would mat h that of NFL with Wild Card Round consisting of five-game series and all other series consisting of seven games)

American League

East

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

New York Yankees

Raleigh/Durham (formerly Tampa Bay Rays)

North

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Montreal Expos (expansion)

Toronto Blue Jays

South

Chicago White Sox

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Texas Rangers

West

Las Vegas (expansion)

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Sacramento Athletics (formerly of Oakland)

Seattle Mariners

National League

East

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

South

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Here's a handy (albeit crudely drawn) map so you can see that despite some weird divisions -- such as St. Louis and the White Sox both being aligned in the South -- this actually makes a hell of a lot more since geographically than the NFL's current divisional alignment.

16hvxqq.png

25yzwqg.png

FBS Conferences realignment based on how CONFERENCES should be:

ACC: Living up to its name, this conference should consist of schools along all states on the Atlantic: Massachusetts, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida

American: No specific boundaries due to its name; just prestigious football programs east of the Mississippi River

Big Ten: Only 10 teams, all with prestigious football programs in the Midwest proper: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio

Big 12: Only 12 teams, all teams within or within the vicinity of the Great Plains states: Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas

Conference USA: omitted

MAC: all with lesser prestigious teams in the Midwest proper: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan

Mountain West: Any schools in states not bordering the Pacific, but within or within the vicinity of the Rocky Mts: Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico

Pac-12: Any schools in states bordering the Pacific: Washington, Oregon, California, and Hawaii

SEC: All with prestigious football programs in the South proper: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia

Sun Belt: All with programs of less prestige in the South including Texas: Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida

• 2 weeks later...

32%20teams%20-%20vegas%20and%20quebec_zp

This is an interesting proposal. One significant issue is why the need to place all the Canadian teams in their own Divisions within the respective Conferences? The odds would significantly increase against any Canadian teams winning the Cup if maintaining a 16-team playoff format compromising of 4 Canadian teams and 12 US teams in the playoffs each season.

Another major issue with the 2-team per Division playoff format is that fans would wonder why a third place team in an opposite Division wouldn’t qualify even if they had more points than the second place team in another Division. For example, in the Western Conference, let us say that the teams thein Northwest Division finished with Calgary in first (100 points), Vancouver in second (95 points), Edmonton in third (91 points), and Winnipeg in fourth (80 points). Conversely, the teams in the Southwest Division finished with Minnesota in first (99 points), Dallas in second (89 points), Colorado in third (84 points), and Las Vegas in fourth (65 points). Under this scenario, why should Dallas make the playoffs while Edmonton – who had a better season – miss out?

As far as REEL A LINE MINT, there is an opportunity missed to keep the budding Jets – Wild – Blackhawks rivalry intact in order to bring back Columbus to the Western Conference. Is there a reason for moving Columbus back to the West?

In addition, the Atlantic and the Metro Divisions are a little confusing especially with breaking-up the NYR-NYI-NJD rivalry, unless this is intentional.

Therefore, the idea of balancing out the two Conferences with 4 Divisions of 4 teams each is certainly a challenge and there is much promise here, but a few things need to be tweaked in order to achieve that balance.

Mindless: Valid points, all. It may very well be better to stick with 4 divisions of 8, with an optional crossover if the 5th place team in one division is better than the 4th place team in the other. I only grouped the Canadian teams all together out of curiosity. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was made a reality, assuming QC and Vegas enter the league. It would be touted as a great way to keep Canadian teams in the playoffs, while at the same time hindering their chances of winning it all - which would keep Bettman happy, since he only really cares about US TV ratings come playoff time.

EDIT: An alternate version of it.

32%20teams%20-%20vegas%20%20quebec_zpsoz

Edited by Magnus

Neo presents another bizarro world sports alignment...

NFL

NFC East: Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Americans

NFC North: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

NFC South: Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, St Louis Colts

NFC West: Arizona Scorpions, Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

AFC East: Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, New England Patriots, New York Jets

AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Indiana Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South: Houston Oilers, Miami Dolphins, Nashville Bloodhounds, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Raiders, San Diego Chargers

MLB

AL East: Boston Red Sox, Florida Marlins, New York Yankees, Philadelphia A's, Washington Nationals

AL Central: Atlanta Firebirds, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals

AL West: Denver Zephyrs, Los Angeles Angels, San Francisco Seals, Texas Rangers, Vancouver Mounties

NL East: Baltimore Orioles, Brooklyn Dodgers, Montreal Expos, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays

NL Central: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Braves, Minnesota Giants, St Louis Cardinals

NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks, Hollywood Stars, Houston Astros, Portland Beavers, Seattle Pilots

NBA

Atlantic: Boston Celtics, Charlotte Hornets, Long Island Nets, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Bullets

Central: Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Toronto Raptors

Midwest: Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets, Kansas City Twisters, New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs, Spirits of St Louis

Pacific: Arizona Suns, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trailblazers, Sacramento Kings, Seattle Supersonics, Utah Jazz, Vancouver Grizzlies

NHL

Smythe: Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Seattle Totems, Vancouver Canucks

Norris: Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Desperados, Detroit Red Wings, Houston Aeros, Kansas City Scouts, Minnesota North Stars, St Louis Blues, Winnipeg Jets

Adams: Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Cincinnati Cyclones, Cleveland Barons, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques, Toronto Maple Leafs

Patrick:

Charlotte Checkers, New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals

Bizarro world reel line mint of the media giants...

CBS CORPORATION

Movies: Columbia Pictures, Tristar Pictures

Broadcast Network: Columbia Broadcasting System

Comics: IDW, The Archie-Harvey Group

Animation: Clokey Productions, Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, DiC, UPA, Terrytoons

Video Games: CBS Electronics

DISNEY ENTERPRISES INC

Movies: Walt Disney Pictures, New Line Cinema, Lucasfilm

Broadcast Network: National Broadcasting Company

Comics: Marvel

Animation: Walt Disney Classic Animation, Walt Disney Television Animation, Sunbow-Marvel, Jim Henson Productions, Jay Ward Productions

Video Games: Capcom

MCA

Movies: Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks SKG

Broadcast Network: MCA Television Network

Comics: DC Comics

Animation: Hanna-Barbera, Nelvana

Video Games: Atari

TURNER ENTERTAINMENT CO

Movies: 20th Century-Fox, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, United Artists

Broadcast Network: Turner Programming Network

Comics: Dark Horse, Bongo

Animation: Saban Productions, Film Roman, Filmation

Video Games: Acclaim

WARNER COMMUNICATIONS

Movies: Warner Bros Pictures, Orion Pictures

Broadcast Network: American Brodcasting Company

Comics: EC Publications

Animation: Warner Bros Animation, Ruby-Spears, Bagdasarian

Video Games: WB Interactive Entertainment

CFL-WLAF Merger circa 1995

EASTERN CONFERENCE

European Division

Amsterdam Admirals

Barcelona Dragons

Frankfurt Galaxy

London Monarchs

5th Team: Paris Musketeers, Dublin Druids, Stockholm Norsemen or Scottish Claymores

Atlantic Division

Hamilton Tiger Cats

Montreal Alouettes

NY/NJ Knights

Ottawa Roughriders

Toronto Argonauts

Southeast Division

Baltimore Stallions

Birmingham Fire

Jacksonville Barracudas

Memphis Mad Dogs

Orlando Thunder

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Pacific Division

Las Vegas Posse

Los Angeles Avengers

Portland Platypus

Sacramento Gold Miners

Utah Pioneers

Northwest Division

British Columbia Lions

Calgary Stampeders

Edmonton Eskimos

Saskatchewan Roughriders

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Southwest Division

Albuquerque Roadrunners

Austin Armadillos/Bats/Brahmas/Desperados

Mexico City Jaguars

Oklahoma City Bison/Plainsmen/Cattlemen/Wranglers

San Antonio Texans

I have always had a problem with the OHL separating Sudbury from the Soo. I believe that the northern teams should all play together. I also made border crossings less frequent for Erie by removing them from a division with 4 Canadian opponents to the other one with US teams Flint and Saginaw.

Z%20-%20MY%20OHL%20TABLE_zpshmo9uhxx.png

divisional%20play%20chart_zpshzt4vtms.pn

This chart represents divisional play. In order to minimize road trip distance, 38 divisional games would be played (I know this still screws the Northern Ontario teams, but what alignment wouldn't?), and 30 games would be played out of division - probably 3 road trips of 5 games each and 3 home stands.

I have always had a problem with the OHL separating Sudbury from the Soo. I believe that the northern teams should all play together. I also made border crossings less frequent for Erie by removing them from a division with 4 Canadian opponents to the other one with US teams Flint and Saginaw.

This chart represents divisional play. In order to minimize road trip distance, 38 divisional games would be played (I know this still screws the Northern Ontario teams, but what alignment wouldn't?), and 30 games would be played out of division - probably 3 road trips of 5 games each and 3 home stands.

Your format looks pretty cool and interesting. Oh, speaking of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), I have a curious but well-modified and proposed/suggested schedule format of the OHL so that every team can compete in a perfectly well-balanced way. And since there are 2 equal conferences of 10 teams (with 2 equal divisions of 5 teams each), here goes the following:

Schedule Format (72 total games):

a.) Conference play; Division play; Each team will play its other division rivals eight times – four home, four away – for a total of 32 Division games (4 * 8 = 32).

b.) Conference play; Out-of-Division play: Each team will play the five teams from the other division four times – two home, two away – for a total of 20 Out-of-Division games (5 * 4 = 20).

c.) Out-of-Conference play: Each team will play all 10 teams from the other conference twice – one home, one away – for a total of 20 Out-of-Conference games (10 * 2 = 20).

Lemme know your opinions and thoughts about this. And hopefully it would be applied for the upcoming future seasons and many more years to come.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Your format looks pretty cool and interesting. Oh, speaking of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), I have a curious but well-modified and proposed/suggested schedule format of the OHL so that every team can compete in a perfectly well-balanced way. And since there are 2 equal conferences of 10 teams (with 2 equal divisions of 5 teams each), here goes the following:

Schedule Format (72 total games):

a.) Conference play; Division play; Each team will play its other division rivals eight times – four home, four away – for a total of 32 Division games (4 * 8 = 32).

b.) Conference play; Out-of-Division play: Each team will play the five teams from the other division four times – two home, two away – for a total of 20 Out-of-Division games (5 * 4 = 20).

c.) Out-of-Conference play: Each team will play all 10 teams from the other conference twice – one home, one away – for a total of 20 Out-of-Conference games (10 * 2 = 20).

Lemme know your opinions and thoughts about this. And hopefully it would be applied for the upcoming future seasons and many more years to come.

Hi Jlog3000!

I think it is important to note that major junior is a bit of a different beast than the pros. Major junior players are high school and college age. I actually shared high school classes with a couple of former Sudbury Wolves players. (Kevin Beech and Adam McQuaid)

What I think we need to understand about the CHL is that many of these players often don't make hockey a paid career, and some have little to fall back on once that career is over. As well as I would like to see their weekly stipend increase (to where they could either afford a full college scholarship or earn a modest living), I would like to see the schedule reduced, personally. Using my model, instead of the 38 divisional games I listed earlier, knock it down to 30 (8+8+7+7), and keep the rest of the schedule at 30 as well, for a total of 60 regular season games. Keep the schedule to 2 or 3 games a week, largely on weekends, as they try to do now, and bump up the ticket prices to compensate if the team owners are really worried about gate revenue.

Hi Jlog3000!

I think it is important to note that major junior is a bit of a different beast than the pros. Major junior players are high school and college age. I actually shared high school classes with a couple of former Sudbury Wolves players. (Kevin Beech and Adam McQuaid)

What I think we need to understand about the CHL is that many of these players often don't make hockey a paid career, and some have little to fall back on once that career is over. As well as I would like to see their weekly stipend increase (to where they could either afford a full college scholarship or earn a modest living), I would like to see the schedule reduced, personally. Using my model, instead of the 38 divisional games I listed earlier, knock it down to 30 (8+8+7+7), and keep the rest of the schedule at 30 as well, for a total of 60 regular season games. Keep the schedule to 2 or 3 games a week, largely on weekends, as they try to do now, and bump up the ticket prices to compensate if the team owners are really worried about gate revenue.

If you wanted less games, then all I would tweak on my model is the 'division play' one of having each team facing the other 4 teams 6 times (3 home & 3 road each), then add the rest, giving the total of 64 games.

• Like 1
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

CFL in the 21st Century

Northeast Division

• Halifax Schooners
  • Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • Moncton Mariners
  • Montreal Alouettes
  • Ottawa Redblacks
  • Quebec Owls
  • Toronto Argonauts
  • Windsor Lakers

Southeast Division

• Arkansas Diamonds
  • Baltimore Stallions
  • Birmingham Barracudas
  • Jackson Magnolias
  • Louisville Slugs
  • Memphis Mad Dogs
  • Miami Manatees
  • Shreveport Pirates

Northwest Divison

• BC Lions
  • Calgary Stampeders
  • Edmonton Eskimos
  • Oregon Trailers
  • Saskatchewan Roughriders
  • Victoria Monarchs
  • Washington Totems
  • Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Southwest Division

• Colorado Bighorns
  • Dallas Diablos
  • El Paso Vaqueros
  • Las Vegas Posse
  • New Mexico Coyotes
  • Sacramento Gold Miners
  • San Antonio Texans
  • Tucson Toros

CFL in the 21st Century

Northeast Division

• Halifax Schooners
  • Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • Moncton Mariners
  • Montreal Alouettes
  • Ottawa Redblacks
  • Quebec Owls
  • Toronto Argonauts
  • Windsor Lakers
Southeast Division

• Arkansas Diamonds
  • Baltimore Stallions
  • Birmingham Barracudas
  • Jackson Magnolias
  • Louisville Slugs
  • Memphis Mad Dogs
  • Miami Manatees
  • Shreveport Pirates
Northwest Divison

• BC Lions
  • Calgary Stampeders
  • Edmonton Eskimos
  • Oregon Trailers
  • Saskatchewan Roughriders
  • Victoria Monarchs
  • Washington Totems
  • Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Southwest Division

• Colorado Bighorns
  • Dallas Diablos
  • El Paso Vaqueros
  • Las Vegas Posse
  • New Mexico Coyotes
  • Sacramento Gold Miners
  • San Antonio Texans
  • Tucson Toros

Nice alignment. If only the CFL would have stood pat on the stateside expansion.

• Like 1

Imagine Puerto Rico having a super confederation of sports. Here's a sample variation based on its 'minor league' baseball federation (which is nicknamed as 'Beisbol Doble A', or in its full name the 'AA Superior Baseball League of Puerto Rico' [or 'Liga de Béisbol Superior Doble A de Puerto Rico' in Spanish]).

1. - Eastern Puerto Rico Conference

1.1. - North Eastern Puerto Rico Division

1.1.1. - Carolina Section

Carolina Giants

Canóvanas Indians

Loíza Coconutsmen

Río Grande Warriors

Trujillo Alto Rivermen

1.1.2. - Fajardo Section

Fajardo Cariduros

Ceiba Soup Marlins

Culebra Small Virgins

Luquillo Tourists

Vieques Young Islanders

1.2. - South Eastern Puerto Rico Division

1.2.1. - Caguas Section

Caguas Criollos

Aguas Buenas Oasis Tigers

Gurabo Falcons

Juncos Valencian Mules

San Lorenzo Samaritans

1.2.2. - Humacao Section

Humacao Gray Caciques

Las Piedras Craftsmen

Maunabo Crabbers

Naguabo Stars

Yabucoa Sugar Canesmen

2. - Northern Puerto Rico Conference

2.1. - Far East Northern Puerto Rico Division

2.1.1. - San Juan Section

San Juan Senators

Bayamón Cowboys

Cataño Boatsmen

Guaynabo Mets

Toa Baja Plainsmen

2.1.2. - Vega Baja Section

Vega Baja Melao-Melao

Dorado Golden Guardians

Naranjito Blackbirds

Toa Alta Roadrunners

Vega Alta Plantsmen

2.2. - Far Wes Northern Puerto Rico Division

2.2.1. - Arecibo Section

Arecibo Wolves

Barceloneta Industrialists

Camuy Sandmen

Florida Titans

Hatillo Milkmen

2.2.2. - Manatí Section

Manatí Athenians

Ciales Couragemen

Corozal Plaintainsmen

Morovis Titans

Orocovis Sentries

3. - Southern Puerto Rico Conference

3.1. - Deep East Southern Puerto Rico Division

3.1.1. - Cayey Section

Cayey Little Bulls

Aibonito Floral Chicks

Barranquitas Heroes

Cidra Braves

Comerío Silver Fishermen

3.1.2. - Guayama Section

Guayama Wizards

Arroyo Buccaneers

Patillas Lions

Salinas Flying Fishes

Aguirre ?

3.2. - Deep West Southern Puerto Rico Division

3.2.1. - Ponce Section

Ponce Lions

Coamo Marathoners

Juana Díaz Poets

Santa Isabel Colts

Villalba Beansmen

3.2.2. - Yauco Section

Yauco Coffeesmen

Guánica Rivermen

Guayanilla Fishermen

Peñuelas Oilers

Ensenada ?

4. - Western Puerto Rico Conference

4.1. - North Western Puerto Rico Conference

4.1.1. - Aguadilla Section

Aguadilla Sharks

Aguada Navigators

Isabela Garden Bantans

Moca Rebel Vampires

Quebradillas Pirates

4.1.2. - Utuado Section

Utuado Mountaineers

Adjuntas Lake Giants

Jayuya Wood Carvers

Lares Patriots

San Sebastián Patrolsmen

4.2. - South Western Puerto Rico Conference

4.2.1. - Mayagüez Section

Mayagüez Native Tarzans

Añasco Foundationers

Las Marías Citrusmen

Maricao Indieras

Rincón Surfers

4.2.2. - San Germán Section

San Germán Athletics

Cabo Rojo Wonder Pirates

Hormigueros Pilgrims

Lajas Cardinals

Sabana Grande Palm Prodigies

Lemme know your thoughts guys. More info at http://www.lbsdapr.org/

CFL, MLB, MLS & NASL, NFL, NBA, NHL, College football v1 & v2, NBL

In 2021, six former fans of the NFL have finally had it with the league for various reasons. They decided on creating a competitor league to challenge the NFL. It is the Federal Football League (FFL). All of their teams would follow the model of German soccer, at least 51% of teams must be owned by its fans. Originally, there were 12 teams from the Mid-Atlantic and the Midwest, but overtime, it expanded to 32 teams throughout the USA. The slogan is "Real Fans. Real Passion. Real Football."

The original 12 teams are:

Annapolis Ospreys (Annapolis, MD)

Cleveland Bavarians (Cleveland, OH)

Dayton Buckeyes (Dayton, OH)

Illinois Firebirds (DeKalb, IL)

Lansing Lancers (Lansing, MI)

Harrisburg Roses (Harrisburg, PA)

New York/New Jersey Maroons (Elizabeth, NJ)

Terre Haute Beavers (Terre Haute, IN)

Philadelphia Quakers (Philadelphia, PA)

Youngstown Bulldogs (Youngstown, OH)

Virginia Raptors (Richmond, VA)

Wilmington Warriors (Wilmington, DE)

In 2100, the league looks like this:

Eastern Conference

• The Original 12, plus
  • Boston Rovers (Boston, MA)
  • Buffalo Bolts (Buffalo, NY)
  • New York Orange Lions (New York, NY)
  • Orlando Wizards (Orlando, FL)

Western Conference

• Arizona Stingers (Tucson, Arizona)
  • California Grizzlies (Sacramento, CA)
  • Colorado Highlanders (Colorado Springs, CO)
  • Houston Galaxy (Houston, TX)
  • Kansas City Beef (Kansas City, MO)
  • Los Angeles Missionaries (Los Angeles, CA)
  • Louisiana Ducks (Monroe, LA)
  • Minnesota Geminis (Saint Paul, MN)
  • Oklahoma Okies (Tulsa, OK)
  • Portland Hawks (Portland, OR)
  • St. Louis Saints (Florissant, MO)
  • Seattle Emeralds (Seattle, WA)
  • Tennessee Rednecks (Nashville, TN)
  • Texas Armadillos (Austin, TX)
  • Wichita Wings (Wichita, KS)
  • Wyoming Wranglers (Cheyenne, WY)

32%20teams%20with%20vegas%20and%20quebec
In consideration of Columbus being forced back into the Western Conference, I would offer them the following caveat: All divisional games could be played at the starting time of their choice - so if they were to go to Chicago or Vegas, they could start the game at 7:30 ET instead of 7 Central or 7 Mountain (8 ET/9 ET).