MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

dangit what have I done to this thread

On a side note, I hold the faint hope that these get the axe at some near point in the future.

image.png.34afd4daa7f5a45efbf316b018e7c253.png

image.png.5dcf4ed97da978604fa19cdddaa9b6ef.png

image.png.184498fa82ed76552bb13ee0720350dc.png

I'll let Roger Waters express my feelings about same-color lettering/numbering:

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Some people may still look at [the Indians' block C logo] as a "boring C", but it's a classic, sharp look ... Just like the Cubs' and Reds' C, both of which you can argue look just as "boring".

The Indians' C logo is neither classic nor sharp. That's the problem with it. It is off-the-rack and generic.  

This contrasts sharply with the Cubs' and Reds' C logos. Both of those have some aesthetic qualities to them. They look designed, whereas the Indians' C looks like it was picked out of a catalogue (in a hurry).

I am a great admirer of the simple and dignified.  For instance, I'd call the Toronto Raptors' look one of the NBA's best.  But the Indians' C logo is not simple and dignified; it is artless and perfunctory.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Indians' C logo is neither classic nor sharp. That's the problem with it. It is off-the-rack and generic.  

This contrasts sharply with the Cubs' and Reds' C logos. Both of those have some aesthetic qualities to them. They look designed, whereas the Indians' C looks like it was picked out of a catalogue (in a hurry).

I am a big admirer of the simple and dignified.  For instance, I'd call the Toronto Raptors' look one of the NBA's best.  But the Indians' C logo is not simple and dignified; it is artless and perfunctory.

coveleski_display_image.jpg?1305031912

2b27ddefa289fc0377dd3b5e579d5412.jpg

2e6870c5b861e7a879e9b82a0f893bc4.jpg

It's a solid, clean look that fits them and is unique in MLB. That is the key here. There's no need to "spice it up".

SFGiants98's concept with a feather pinned to the serif C would get the job done as a primary/sleeve logo:

I'd go with a featherless C on the caps, though, gets a little detaily.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Put a white outline around the C home and road, and add the red bill to the home hat.

AKA take their default wahoo caps and replace the wahoo with a C

79783f2d250aaa32e12bf21befc7d2e8--clevel

I think the old Cleveland Buckeyes C is a direction I'd like to see them take.  

This is pretty awesome, classy, unique, and not sterile. 

hwl?set=sku%5B20934194%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

18 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

79783f2d250aaa32e12bf21befc7d2e8--clevel

I think the old Cleveland Buckeyes C is a direction I"d like to see them take.  

perfect, and what they should go with.

and tbh, i wouldnt mind the buckeyes look either.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

5 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

The only reason the "C" is becoming popular is because they aren't selling/making as much wahoo merchandise. The are censoring  and reducing the use of wahoo.

And your proof of that is...?

Besides, that's not what "censoring" means. 

So when the Indians show old clips of games they are blurring out the wahoo logo?

Because that's what censor means, replacing a logo isn't censoring it, its replacing it.

Which they haven't even completely done yet, wahoo is still on the sleeves.

I'm sure they would just like to get rid of him completely but sadly in this age of people whining on social media whenever anything happens they don't like and wanna cry "Traditions!"

Its funny cause if the Indian's just did a rebrand saying its to modernize they look, no one would probably cry too much, but its like once people know it's because people find the wahoo logo racist, then they get upset for some odd reason.

12 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Put a white outline around the C home and road, and add the red bill to the home hat.

AKA take their default wahoo caps and replace the wahoo with a C

I agree about the red bill but dunno about the white outline. My only problem with the red on navy cap logo is that it doesn't match the alt jersey but I'm thinking take the white off of that.

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

think the old Cleveland Buckeyes C is a direction I'd like to see them take.  

That is nice, although I have absolutely no problem with the block C.  Either would be great as the only cap logo. 

The focus of Cleveland's look should be the home wordmark, which is both distinct and historical. However, unless they bring back the corresponding "Cleveland" wordmark they used in the 90s and 00s and just slap that C on the hat, the block C works best because it's so neutral, much like how the block LA on the Dodgers hat works with their word mark.

10 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The focus of Cleveland's look should be the home wordmark, which is both distinct and historical. However, unless they bring back the corresponding "Cleveland" wordmark they used in the 90s and 00s and just slap that C on the hat, the block C works best because it's so neutral, much like how the block LA on the Dodgers hat works with their word mark.

The Giants used to have a neutral SF...but then went back to the more designed look in 1994, and it's been great ever since.  Neutral/sterile is not always the solution.  The Dodgers could likely make the LA look better by incorporating a design element or two from the Brooklyn days, but they won't because it'd create more problems than solve.  But we can kind of see the Dodgers getting bored with the LA by pushing the alternate look (the "D" hat).

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Giants used to have a neutral SF...but then went back to the more designed lookt in 1994, and it's been great ever since.  Neutral/sterile is not always the solution.  The Dodgers could likely make the LA look better by incorporating a design element or two from the Brooklyn days, but they won't.  

Besides the B, which is basically the same as the Red Sox logo, what did the Brooklyn Dodgers have that the Los Angeles ones don't?

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Besides the B, which is basically the same as the Red Sox logo, what have did the Brooklyn Dodgers have that the Los Angeles ones don't?

The serifs and "ornamentation" (for the lack of a better word) on the B.  

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6117/Brooklyn_Robins/1914/Cap_Logo

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

The "ornamentation" (for the lack of a better word) on the B.  

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6117/Brooklyn_Robins/1914/Cap_Logo

So the Long Beach State logo but with an A: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/73050262014/Long_Beach_State_49ers/2014/Primary_Logo

Is that really an upgrade? Especially since it doesn't connect to the wordmark.

Archived