MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

39 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Lol they're such morons. Even when they flat out say they're gonna stick to something they can't do it. Unbelievable what a mess that organization is. 

FWIW I don't think they're morons, I think they're liars.

(And actually, if I recall correctly, the owner who said they look forward to growing in these jerseys or whatever later said in the same interview that he had nothing to do with the uniforms.)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also liked the sleeveless jerseys, but to me, the easy solution for the Angels would be to bring navy back as a primary color. Normally I wouldn't be in favor of adding yet another navy and red MLB team, but at least the Angels have historical precedent.
Their old BP hat is easily my favorite hat in their history
51YMHdV4dgL.jpg

1 hour ago, radchad said:

I also liked the sleeveless jerseys, but to me, the easy solution for the Angels would be to bring navy back as a primary color. Normally I wouldn't be in favor of adding yet another navy and red MLB team, but at least the Angels have historical precedent.
Their old BP hat is easily my favorite hat in their history
51YMHdV4dgL.jpg

That thing is beautiful.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

44 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Do the Angels really look like the Cardinals? They both wear red but their hats are pretty different and the Cardinals have their wordmark across their stomach. 

If they really have to differentiate, I vote for one adding front piping. 

No they don't.  I think going back to blue as a primary causes more issues with looking like other teams than the current look.

The Angels, unlike their blue-heavy 1980s look, have a unique look and I hope they keep it.  I think it's their best look ever.

As an aside, I was in LA last week and took in a Dodgers game and an Angels game.  I was really struck by how the team was just "the Angels" with no mention of LA or Anaheim.  When the Twins take the field for the bottom of the first the PA announcer says something like "And now...your Minnesota Twins!"  Here it was something like "And now...your Angels!"  I really felt what was missing there.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

Can we find a shade darker than kelly but lighter than hunter? I wouldn't say split the difference right down the middle but it has to be brighter than it is now.

The Stars found it:

9963_dallas_stars-alternate-2014.png

It's the perfect blend of the two green shades and would pair well with 1235 C. Here's a test:

OAK_DallasGreen.thumb.png.ff560e5d91c24ca0e97a79df4807c526.png

23 hours ago, insert name said:

Nah, the only thing the A's need to bring back is this hat.

51oD5TZd2pL._SX355_.jpg

It's good in a vacuum, but all of the A's road caps are inferior to just wearing the home cap on the road:

487b84272ce073207d7b65f14b1120c0.jpg491175554.thumb.jpg.8abf8d5826bec573a780c7f8c9db0f15.jpg

This is one case where cheaping out on batting helmets improved an identity. The elephant should also be white (per its origin story - John McGraw didn't call the Philadelphia Athletics a "green elephant").

Here's my complete thoughts on the Wahoo matter.  Personally, I don't really care much one way or the other about Wahoo as a logo.  He's just there, like the Angels' "A".  However, I think all political correctness people can go fly a kite, so I'm naturally going to stick up for Wahoo.  I have a bad feeling about this "resolution" they keep talking about.  Anyway, I think the Indians should decide between the block C and Wahoo.  Their mismatched jerseys have a logo for each (Wahoo home and blue, C road and sadly-departed cream alt), and there's not much mixing and matching other than Wahoo gracing the sleeve of the road jersey and the odd red cap-blue jersey combo.  One logo should win the war, and unpopular opinion time...I love the block "C".  Yes, it's simple, but I like it that way.  BUT IT DOESN'T MATCH THE ROAD JERSEY FONT GRRRRRR

Anyway.

The cream alt should be the home jersey.  Another unpopular opinion...love the red hat.  Just with the home jersey only.  Current roadie stays.  Blue version of the home jersey, with a red-brimmed blue cap for both home and road appearances.  Keep Wahoo on the sleeve, just to stick it to the PC people.  But only on the sleeve.  PC people won't accept anything less than Wahoo being killed with fire, but the block C takes preference.  I guess it already does.

Sorry for cluttering up the message boards.  Just purveying Common Sense. :)

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, "I support this thing just because it makes other people mad" is a perfectly defensible position. :rolleyes: 

As is, "We need to change something that in no way harms or hurts anyone because, all of the sudden, I personally feel offended by it.":rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

As is, "We need to change something that in no way harms or hurts anyone because, all of the sudden, I personally feel offended by it.":rolleyes:

Pandering to the minority. >:(

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's good in a vacuum, but all of the A's road caps are inferior to just wearing the home cap on the road:

487b84272ce073207d7b65f14b1120c0.jpg491175554.thumb.jpg.8abf8d5826bec573a780c7f8c9db0f15.jpg

Why can they not understand this?  Their current road hat is just awful.  I have to stare at it every time I watch video of the '14 AL wild card.  Go KC.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

1 hour ago, Viola73 said:

You should probably stay with the "stick a thumb in the other guy's eye" argument, because your straw men are even weaker. 

It's not my offense that's at issue here.  Not by a long shot. 

honordud.jpg

IMG_6820.JPG.b15092bdc5dc5dc49b48924057571c72.JPG

But sure.  Tell them that nobody's hurt or harmed by it.  Or maybe we should enjoy "sticking it to them"?

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

You should probably stay with the "stick a thumb in the other guy's eye" argument, because your straw men are even weaker. 

honordud.jpg

But sure.  Tell them that nobody's hurt or harmed by it.  Or maybe we should enjoy "sticking it to them"?

If this drawing is criticizing a caricature/stereotype, why is the Indians fan portrayed as a caricature/stereotype?  

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

honordud.jpg

IMG_6820.JPG.b15092bdc5dc5dc49b48924057571c72.JPG

By offended, you mean the 9 out of 10 Native Americans who take no offense to their likeness being used in sports? The only straw man here is to believe the argument that a sports logo is the cause of everything that has happened to the Indian Nations and that being offended means being hurt. Now, if your feelings are hurt and you feel like you need to say something, the go ahead, no one is stopping you. But it also means that I don't have to agree with your feelings or even see the harm in a sports logo.

As someone who is of Irish ancestry, should I feel offended by the Boston Celtics character of a portly, smoking, winking Irishman or Notre Dames fighting leprechaun to represent the Irish? If I was thinskined....maybe....but I see them as what they are...a sports logo and nothing more. So, if anyone wants chief wahoo gone and be replaced by something more dignified, like some here have posted, then fine. Have the Indians replace chief wahoo with something like the Redskins have...no problem. But those that want chief wahoo totally gone just because it will make them feel better, or make the one Native American feel better, then I suggest a better argument than your feelings.

I just wish the Indians would move on to something else, and not a boring C.  Wahoo's time has passed, and it might have nostalgia (and let's face it, most of the nostalgia is from Major League), but it's a horribly awkward logo for any casual baseball fan to wear.  Thus, it's time to move on.  Surely they can do better than the two options they have now.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Wahoo's time has passed, and it might have nostalgia (and let's face it, most of the nostalgia is from Major League)

Yeah, that's the whole point: it was all over a really funny sports movie that everyone likes, so calling it a visual hate crime is hard to take. And part of me feels like, you know what, if it's hung on this long -- political correctness was not invented in 2014 -- it may as well hang on forever. But as a graphic design geek, I appreciate the problem-solving of creating a new logo without Wahoo's problems, understanding that the team has been called the Cleveland Indians for a hundred years and will be called the Cleveland Indians until the world ends from nuclear warfare.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I just wish the Indians would move on to something else, and not a boring C.  Wahoo's time has passed, and it might have nostalgia (and let's face it, most of the nostalgia is from Major League), but it's a horribly awkward logo for any casual baseball fan to wear.  Thus, it's time to move on.  Surely they can do better than the two options they have now.

I agree that Wahoo's time may have passed, but the current C is becoming the definitive symbol of this era of Indians baseball. Some people may still look at it as a "boring C", but it's a classic, sharp look that's unique in MLB. The more the Indians win in it, the more history they have with it, the more "fun" it will look. Just like the Cubs' and Reds' C, both of which you can argue look just as "boring". The average Indians fan probably wouldn't describe it as such at this point:

Archived