Contests?

CC97

How Should Contests Be Handled?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like the idea of having one or two people decide who's contests get in and who's don't. Also, I think it could potentially create a new reason for more disagreements and fighting - something we are all tired of.

I have run two contests - both of which I think were cool ideas and ones in which the entrants had fun participating in. Since I've only been around on these boards for a few months, would my contests be rejected in favour of a more experienced member's contest or a friend of the mod? Besides, this is a public forum, not an elitist group. I like the idea that every Tom, Dick, or Harry can start a contest.

good point

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mod approval for polls and contests would be a great thing.  That way every Tom Dick and Harry isn't starting one.

I disagree. I don't like the idea of having one or two people decide who's contests get in and who's don't.

Besides, this is a public forum, not an elitist group.

Ahhh - but this is one person's board (not trying to cause trouble with this statement, please hear me out). :D

If the person running the board wants to run it with an iron fist, that's his right. The best board I'm on on the web is run by a self-professed dictator. If you mis-behave, you get banned. Do it too frequently, and you get permanently banned. Re-register under another name (and get caught), your IP address gets banned.

This board belongs to one person. He can decide which contests see the light of day and which don't. He can determine what he wants said and done here. This is not a public place where anyone is free to do what they want. There are no guarantees of free speech.

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I think people need to understand that what CC97 wants is all that matters. He can listen to any suggestions and accept them, or reject them (this one included) :D .

It's where I sit.

Mod approval for polls and contests would be a great thing.  That way every Tom Dick and Harry isn't starting one.

I disagree. I don't like the idea of having one or two people decide who's contests get in and who's don't.

Besides, this is a public forum, not an elitist group.

Ahhh - but this is one person's board (not trying to cause trouble with this statement, please hear me out). :D

If the person running the board wants to run it with an iron fist, that's his right. The best board I'm on on the web is run by a self-professed dictator. If you mis-behave, you get banned. Do it too frequently, and you get permanently banned. Re-register under another name (and get caught), your IP address gets banned.

This board belongs to one person. He can decide which contests see the light of day and which don't. He can determine what he wants said and done here. This is not a public place where anyone is free to do what they want. There are no guarantees of free speech.

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I think people need to understand that what CC97 wants is all that matters. He can listen to any suggestions and accept them, or reject them (this one included) :D .

Sure, the decision is ultimately up to Chris. It is obvious that Chris doesn't want to run this board like a dictator. He asked our opinion, so I gave mine.

Besides, maybe making constant decisions as to which contests are allowed and not allowed and being constantly bothered by members about contest-related issues is something that Chris and the mods don't want to have to be involved with. I certainly wouldn't want to be the bad guy turning away people with well thought out contests because of some arbitrarily chosen limit.

Well the mods and CC won't necessarily be turning contest ideas away, actually more of a first-come-first-serve basis. They should tell them to come back with their idea after the current shift of 4 contests is over, when they could present the idea for their contest again.

Just my opinion.

Well, I've said before, I'm in favor of putting contests in a separate thread.

I also think we should establish a "hall of fame" sticky where each contest winner gets listed.

I'd like to see a limit on the number of contests, when necessary. I think we're overrun now, but there are plent of lean times. It really depends on how involved each is.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I'm in favor of the idea of having mods approve a limited amount of contests per month, or every two weeks.

It's not just one or two people, it's a group of seven, pretty darn fair people. You have a good contest, and show good ability to run the contest, we won't turn you away unless there happen to be an abundance of good contests.

I say we have a seperate forum for contest. Because soem days Im in the mood for them some days Im not this way if I choose to see them I can venture into its section.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i think that contests should be by mod approval, and about 3-4 at a time is plenty, since its tough to compete in more than one anyway...right?

and i dont know if anyone esle sees it this way but i kinda see contests as requests...make this like this and we'll see which ones best. or maybe im losing it mentally

and i dont know if anyone esle sees it this way but i kinda see contests as requests...make this like this and we'll see which ones best. or maybe im losing it mentally

haha most definetley losing it mentally...contests are all out fun. those of us that enter love doing concepts regardless for the fun of it, and having contests to enter our concepts in is even better. that way we can compete with others and see how well we fare against other designers/entrants.

haha most definetley losing it mentally...contests are all out fun. those of us that enter love doing concepts regardless for the fun of it, and having contests to enter our concepts in is even better. that way we can compete with others and see how well we fare against other designers/entrants.

your right...i am losing it B)

Yeah, there are some request disguised as contests

Mod approval would eliminate such contests, at least keep it low.

i think that says it best....

there should be one major contest for each type of contest, like you have your Iron Crossover, the identity contest like the WebDav Challenge used to be, and then your any other type kind like discrimbattles or saintsfan's contests..you know?

I would be FOR approval for contests, I almost burned myself out in the early days.

And I have no fear of censorship, we all know how open minded and creative our MODs are... so that's a Yes vote for me...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Yeah, there are some request disguised as concepts, however for the most part i think they are good and will not be stolen. Take mine for example, what am I going to do with Team Norway jersey designs.

Do you know anyone at Hockey Norway? (Or whateve it's called)

:D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I also think we should establish a "hall of fame" sticky where each contest winner gets listed.

that sounds like an awesome idea.

And I do agree that we should have a separate forum for Contests and Challenges, but whether they are limited are completely up to you, i could care less, but my opinion would be to have them unlimited only because just in case we're done we can enter in the other available contests.

Archived