The Gates Are Closed

CC97

Should We Allow Guests to View Topics on the Board Again?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For forever guests have been allowed to read posts and topics on the board, but couldn't reply... on August 7th I closed the gates to members only to help prevent stolen logos.

This move has made an effect on the board... membership has increased big time, but the board hits have been cut almost in half.

With the possibility of selling Ad-Space on the board soon I am at a cross-roads... naturally I would get more with twice as many hits, but you guys could get your work stolen.

What should be done... do you feel comfortable with the gates open here? Or should they stay shut?

Chris

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no, but maybe this can be slightly remedied...

Is there a way to only allow guest access to certain boards? Like the Sports logos board alone? What if there was a separate board for concepts (not necessarily requests), and that could be locked for guests. This way, if guests are only coming here for news, they can still read & view it, but our concepts would be a little safer (in theory).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I voted yes, because I think that even though there has been some work stolen recently, it should remain a public forum.

Every member has the right (and privilege) to post here, and guest should be allowed to see what's being discussed. Regarding this, I think it is also our responsibility to correctly protect our work. A simple watermark could do, although I know that it is very though to do it in paint...

It would also save some space on the server as the member list would not be full of "no-posts wonder". (Correct me if I'm wrong Chris ^_^)

I will respect every decision that is going to be taken for this matter. Hey, I'm already registered and contributing somehow :D

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

The thing is, does it really prevent a logo-stealer from stealing? They could easily register and steal them while never really being a part of the community.

I think the gates should remain closed, but we need to somehow monitor the registration into the board.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

we need more board hits, and at the same time have a lot of members. I doubt it will prevent stealing, agreeing with Braden. But I voted yes, because the more people that see our concepts the better. Plus, after seeing that the IHA got caught, i think those that want to steal our work will think twice. So lets try to keep them open for now, but if things get worse we'll close them.

Just my opinion, do what you will CC, i'll still be active in your forum. B)

I think we can have a best-of-both-worlds solution here...

Reshuffle the deck, and divide it out in a new way-

News - Open to viewing, must be a member to post - This will be Logo-uni news as well as general sports news. These two forums have always had a grey line between them, and this puts them all in one bucket, which allows Chris to get good hits here.

Concepts/Contests - Closed viewing, closed posting - With the max 4 contests pinned, and then concepts free flowing underneath, this allows a constrained access to anyone's individual work. It wont prevent stealing, but nothing really can. It does allow a user to know when they are entering the world of YOUR new Bobcats jersey, as opposed to the REAL new Bobcats jersey, which should be in News. It sorts out the flotsam from the jetsam as well. One single place to see member's creations.

Requests - Close Viewing, Closed posting - As always a separate place to be, to keep these from getting mixed in everywhere. Having it closed to outsider viewing keeps folks (hopefully) from registering simply to ask for a logo for their minor league hockey team.

The Lounge - Open to viewing, closed to posting - This is how visitors know we are a real community, are real friends, and are real crazy.

So, that?s what I think. Anyone agree?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think we can have a best-of-both-worlds solution here...

Reshuffle the deck, and divide it out in a new way-

News - Open to viewing, must be a member to post - This will be Logo-uni news as well as general sports news. These two forums have always had a grey line between them, and this puts them all in one bucket, which allows Chris to get good hits here.

Concepts/Contests - Closed viewing, closed posting - With the max 4 contests pinned, and then concepts free flowing underneath, this allows a constrained access to anyone's individual work. It wont prevent stealing, but nothing really can. It does allow a user to know when they are entering the world of YOUR new Bobcats jersey, as opposed to the REAL new Bobcats jersey, which should be in News. It sorts out the flotsam from the jetsam as well. One single place to see member's creations.

Requests - Close Viewing, Closed posting - As always a separate place to be, to keep these from getting mixed in everywhere. Having it closed to outsider viewing keeps folks (hopefully) from registering simply to ask for a logo for their minor league hockey team.

The Lounge - Open to viewing, closed to posting - This is how visitors know we are a real community, are real friends, and are real crazy.

So, that?s what I think. Anyone agree?

That's the way I was thinking. Close only the part where we show off our work. Keep the rest open for other people to see.

Well, I think it should be open to viewing. I know before I joined I lurked and got to figure out how things worked. And like Braden said it wouldn't stop stealing. I think we may have more problems if we continue to keep the board closed.

Right now I'm diggin' Paynomind's idea of re-shuffling the boards... but not sure about grouping sports and logos news into one forum, might defeat the purpose of being a Sports Logos Community rather than just a Sports community.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i don't really like the idea of a re-shuffle. I think there is such a thing as too many boards. I think logo news and concepts should stay together. If there seperated I think that the those boards may become "dead" with little movement. I think were were are now is enough. It's not going to stop thiefs becuase if they really want a logo to steal they can take the five seconds to register.

Keep 'em wide open Chris.

Nobody has had more work stolen on this board than me and I am firmly in favor of keeping the forum open to all as it (probably) was intended.

We cannot let fear dictate our behavior. Besides, I could not ask for a better theft defense mechanism, than your collective 1000 and growing sets of eyes and ears. Let us not forget, that with our collective resources, we have stopped (if not prevented) every misuse we've come across and stopped some more that weren't even our responsibility!! Cheers to us!!

I would never have known of the IHA misdeeds nor any of my Moose misappropriations without these boards and the unparalleled knowledge and sincere vigilance exhibited here everyday.

You get your hits, sell your advertising, maybe do this full time like the Bros Chaps and we'll all still be here.

I appreciate your concern for us and the temporary lockdown, but there has been markedly less to look at in the days since these measures were taken. I predict a policy of fear would eventually limit even members to frequent less often.

Can't live afraid people.

And my argument isn't even factoring in the "what good would it do" points raised so eloquently in previous postings of this thread.

After all, buffaloprohockey, the biggest theif by no small margin, was a full-on member.

Can't live afraid.

OPEN I say! :D

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Yes, or else it's harder for people to find out how cool this forum is and it makes it a bit of a hassle for lurker types. If people want to steal work, they'll still be able to -- all they have to do is get a membership. The best way to protect yourself is to use watermarks and whatnot.

I was a guest who never posted but just liked looking at the concepts/news once in awhile. I agree with whoever said it's not that hard to even get a membership. It only took me five minutes. I'd maybe try to come up with new security measures to protect work. I don't have any ideas now, but if I think of one I'll let you know.

Oh, and I don't make concepts since I have no artistic talent whatsoever!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I did vote NO, but I'd like to qualify it...

I have to admit that I have showed some of my concept to friends after posting them here, which they wouldn't have been able to do if it were closed.

As far as selling advertising, I say it's all in the way you sell it...

Would you rather advertize to lots of guys you don't know who go to one page once in awhile over a 2-minute session or to a few guys you know their interests and stay for hours by session?

After reading Paynomind's suggestion I have to go with CC, I am digging the different levels.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Archived