Biggest Upgrades in Sports history

Milkman14

I think the Patriots going from their original Flying Elvis look to their true 90's look was a HUGE FANTASTIC upgrade.

1993-0807-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg to Drew.jpg

I think this was a huge upgrade. It went from a boring, no personality uniform to a uniform that was bold, and rich in personality.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, KingKongTom said:

I think the Patriots going from their original Flying Elvis look to their true 90's look was a HUGE FANTASTIC upgrade.

1993-0807-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg to Drew.jpg

I think this was a huge upgrade. It went from a boring, no personality uniform to a uniform that was bold, and rich in personality.

Your two photos sandwiched another uninspired uniform in '94, but I don't feel like searching for pics right now.

On 4/15/2018 at 2:17 PM, Morgo said:

Ja4guLx.jpg

PMTZtwu.jpg

You know I've always wondered, was the decision to use the Aviator Blue made for the corolation to the Thrashers as a nod or just coincidental?  I don't remember any reference to it at the time of the release. 

They're not the same shade of blue. The Jets' light blue is significantly darker.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Your two photos sandwiched another uninspired uniform in '94, but I don't feel like searching for pics right now.

They didn't. The only change the Pats had before their true 90's look was the same uniform in the first photo, but with a red facemask

11 hours ago, KingKongTom said:

1993-0807-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg to 

dec-1994-quarterback-drew-bledsoe-of-the

to

Drew.jpg

On 4/15/2018 at 2:33 AM, Bmac said:

This might be the best upgrade of all time. They went from a forgettable, generic look that was poorly designed to a unique and well developed identity that has stood the test of time. The identity utilizes unique colors and has a clear theme, but has never been over the top or gimmicky. It's actually kind of surprising to see something that timeless come out of the 90's. It's a modern classic that appeared just before the merchandise craze and has proven to be a strong identity for years.

If the Mariners had waiting until around 1999 or 2000 to rebrand all they would have done was take the 80s set and add a bunch of black and we would have missed out on the teal navy and silver look. 

This:
CGrB-9MWwAIY8Tn.jpg

To This:
MIL_Johnson_Marques.jpg

I preferred the second (lime green) version of the green rainbows, but they're both classics and still the only truly great uniforms the Bucks have ever worn.  I think they really dropped the ball not bringing them back this last go-round.

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, KingKongTom said:

Actually you're right they had the original Flying Elvis uniforms but the numbers only had a blue trim.

They also changed the home uniform from '93 to '94. The numbers changed from red to white, and the pants stripe changed.

3454-878894Fr.jpgfootball-new-england-patriots-ben-coates

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

The New York Giants went from this in the late-1970s...

quarterback-joe-pisarcik-of-the-new-york

...to this in the 1980s

pepper-johnson-new-england-patriots-new-

Not sure if this belongs in the "unpopular opinions" thread instead, but the Giants' 1980s-style uniform is bad. Mismatched blues, three different striping patterns (helmet, sleeves, pants), and completely generic (including the "logo" wordmark). I suspect people like it because of the fond memories of two championships wearing that uniform, rather than the actual design.

To the extent that it's an upgrade over the 1970s design, it's because the 70s design is even worse.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

^^

The biggest improvement in that Patriots example is outlining the TV numbers.  I did not like that mismatched look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived