Holy s***, I actually finished the entire NFL (Hand Drawn)(Falcons posted 5/9)

jn8

So here’s the first double post with teams doing small tweaks. Just a reminder, there’s no flat mock-up, just the player models. I feel like the teams that get this type of treatment don’t have big enough changes that they’d require a flat mock-up. Leading off...

Green Bay Packers

Obviously no major changes, just some cleanups I think were needed. I’ll go through the primary pieces first, leaving the alternate until the end. 

Helmet: 

No changes

Jerseys:

Both home and road drop the collar stripes, just for simplicity’s sake. On the road jerseys, there’s no more white in between the green and gold stripes. It doesn’t serve a purpose and causes the gold stripe to look blurry at any distance, so it’s dropped here. It’s something that was consistent through the whole uniform set: gold and white always have green separating them. 

Pants:

No changes. No white pants, no green pants, just the classic gold. Anything else is just unnecessary. 

Socks:

That’s right, we’re talkin’ bout socks. Two pairs! Green and white with stripes matching the jerseys. 

Stand Alone Alternate:

A fauxback, really. I took the solid green set from the 50s and applied it to the modern template, recoloring the primary set, essentially creating a Color Rush uniform. It’s a slightly different shade of green than the primaries use from the jerseys to the socks with gold numbers and stripes—no white. The helmet is also stripped of white, gold replacing anywhere it was on the primary helmet. 

Combinations:

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure this out, but there’s just three. Home is green over gold with green socks, road is white over gold with white socks, and the alternate is the fauxback solid green Color Rush.

spacer.png

So that’s the first team, now onto team two of this post:

Chicago Bears

Again, some simple cleanups. To someone who only pays casual attention, they might not even notice it. 

Helmet:

The general idea is kept the same, but the wishbone C loses the white outline. 

Jerseys:

Keeping in the theme set by the helmet, the jerseys drop all outlines. The navy jerseys have white numbers and three orange stripe. No number outlines, no outlines on the stripes. The white jerseys’ only change is the dropping of the number outlines and the orange jersey is a color swap of the navy. I thought about using navy numbers on the orange jersey as a fauxback, but in the end I went with white for better legibility. 

Pants:

No changes. 

Combinations:

Primarily navy/white at home and white/navy on the road, but all white is a good look I’d like to see them use in Green Bay and maybe against some other old school teams. The orange jerseys work with either pair of pants in my opinion, but I’d favor the white pants over the navy, though both can be worn. Socks always contrast the pants, so the current socks are kept, with the navy socks being updated to match the jersey stripes.

Nlg4yvo.jpg

And that’s the second team of the post. Any thoughts on the uniforms for either team? I know the tweaks were small, but were they good/bad/insignificant? 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that the Packers striping is closer to what it was in the Lombardi days in your concept. But it's also a reminder of how much better the original 5-stripe Lombardi design actually was.

Just realized this is one year and 4 days since this thread started. Wow I’m slow 😂😂

Maybe posting another team can help speed things up

Cincinnati Bengals

I don’t hate the current uniforms as much as a lot of people around here do and I think their classics are one of the most overrated. Great start to this, huh? Hopefully I don’t piss everybody off. Anyways, on with the show:

Helmet:

In a move that’s been done 1000 times, I made the helmet fade to white at the bottom. I know it’s what everyone does, but there’s a reason it’s a common theme in concepts for the Bengals and I like it so it’s included in mine. 

Jerseys:

Main thing here is that orange is now the primary home jersey. [Insert some excuse about how there are more black jerseys than orange jerseys and something about more visual diversity in the AFC North to distract from the real reason being that tigers are orange] The number font is tweaked just a tad, squaring off the 1 and removing the drop shadow. All three jerseys have identical sleeve caps. They have tiger stripes on orange fading to white at the end of the sleeve. 

Pants:

Three pairs; I added orange! Just like the sleeve caps on the jerseys, the pants stripe is the same on all colors. The body of the stripe is orange with some tiger stripes in it and the orange has a thin black outline that is only visible on the white and orange pants. 

Combinations:

At home, I’d  prefer the orange over white look for most games, maybe the black pants with it on rare occasions, but never the orange pants. The black jerseys can go with either white or orange pants, I don’t have a preference. Maybe all black once in a while with orange socks. The white jerseys can be paired with any pant option, and I really don’t prefer one over the others. 

spacer.png

u0OitlT.jpg

Thats all I have for now, another pair of teams should be coming relatively soon, but for now, let me hear some opinions on the Bengals

As a bungals fan I might be a bit picky so be prepared

Good news is, the gradient looks really good for the orange home. And when I say good I mean really good, like i would go buy it. Along with that helmet. But sadly that trend doesn’t continue to the other uniforms. Maybe try inverting the gradient to white to orange or black to orange. Next thing is that there’s not enough orange on both the black (the pants help a lot though) or white uniforms to match the orange home. If your going to have black numbers on the away I’d try an orange collar. Or maybe you could just substitute the gradient to normal sleeve caps on both the black and white uniforms so the orange is more evenly distributed.

I’m not a fan of our current number don’t at all. I do like our color rush numbers tho (and this uniforms as a whole are much better than all our other uniforms even if it doesn’t have a drop of orange on it.) so I would try to mimic those more than the current ones. 

I like the pant stripe and removal of the awkward underarm stripes which look bad. I’ve also always wanted to see what it would look like with the tiger stripes on the socks. I think that would work really well.

All in all, it’s an upgrade. I like a lot of the pieces. That home uniform looks great, I do wonder what a monochrome orange or set with black pants would look like tho. But I do like that it matches the helmet and sleeves with the white pants.

But to finish this off, finally, it’s just a few tweaks from being a really really nice set. And as always the illustrations are fantastic!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

On 4/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, BellaSpurs said:

As a bungals fan I might be a bit picky so be prepared

Good news is, the gradient looks really good for the orange home. And when I say good I mean really good, like i would go buy it. Along with that helmet. But sadly that trend doesn’t continue to the other uniforms. Maybe try inverting the gradient to white to orange or black to orange. Next thing is that there’s not enough orange on both the black (the pants help a lot though) or white uniforms to match the orange home. If your going to have black numbers on the away I’d try an orange collar. Or maybe you could just substitute the gradient to normal sleeve caps on both the black and white uniforms so the orange is more evenly distributed.

I’m not a fan of our current number don’t at all. I do like our color rush numbers tho (and this uniforms as a whole are much better than all our other uniforms even if it doesn’t have a drop of orange on it.) so I would try to mimic those more than the current ones. 

I like the pant stripe and removal of the awkward underarm stripes which look bad. I’ve also always wanted to see what it would look like with the tiger stripes on the socks. I think that would work really well.

All in all, it’s an upgrade. I like a lot of the pieces. That home uniform looks great, I do wonder what a monochrome orange or set with black pants would look like tho. But I do like that it matches the helmet and sleeves with the white pants.

But to finish this off, finally, it’s just a few tweaks from being a really really nice set. And as always the illustrations are fantastic!

So I tried to use some of this... First, I really want to keep the gradient sleeves on all the jerseys for consistency, so as of now it’s not a change I’ve made, but if it’s more popular, I can. Second, the number font. Done. You’re right about the one I used, it’s not the best, so a block font replaces it. Third, the lack of orange on the white jersey struck me as soon as I finished it, so that’s something I tried to fix. 

I didn’t draw up a full set yet, but here are a pair of white jerseys with the new font and a couple different color combinations. Whichever is more popular will be the one I run with going forward 

WzzBNJm.jpg

Thought about waiting a bit, decided to just post now. On to the next:

San Francisco 49ers

Overall, I think the classic set is better than the 2000s, but there were a couple things from that version that I wanted to incorporate. Let’s get to it. 

Helmet:

Immediately jumping to one of those 2000s carryovers, the only tweak is a red facemask. I’m not anti-gray facemask, but I feel like there’s better alternatives for most, like in this case. 

Jerseys:

Just the two. Both have the standard block number font and the third stripe returns to the sleeves. The second 2000s carryover is the logo on the sleeves, bet with a minor tweak: instead of the SF monogram, the oval contains the players’ numbers. 

Pants:

One pair of gold pants with a red-white-red stripe. 

Combinations:

I ain’t no math magician, but two jerseys and one pair of pants is pretty simple. Only thing to note is a pair of striped white socks for the white jerseys. And yes, stripes are on the red pair too. 

0x1CDt5.jpg

And the second in this pair of teams:

Detroit Lions

I really like their recent redesign, so I kept the base intact, only making a couple adjustments. 

Helmet:

Most noticeably, the facemask is now blue. The second change that might slip the radar is the addiction of white to the stripe, replacing silver to match the logo (blue outlined in white outlined in blue).

Jerseys:

Just the two, the gray alt is killed. Just like the helmet, white is added to the stripes on the home jersey and silver is added on the roads. Numbers drop the outlines and at home they become white, since I felt like the blue is so light it can blur with the silver at times and cause legibility issues. One of the more controversial details on the redesign was the sleeve wordmark. I actually like it, so I kept it and put it on both sleeves, replacing the WCF memorial patch because, no disrespect to anyone, no memorial patch should be permanent, at least in such a prominent place. 

Pants: 

I kept both pairs, with the same changes to the stripes as all other elements to match. 

Combinations:

I’d keep silver pants at home for most games, maybe, juuuust maybe, all blue can be worn sometimes, but not often at all. Road should probably be an even split between pants. Two pairs of socks, both with stripes matching the jerseys of the same color. 

IAJhCpv.jpg

So that’s that. How do we feel about those two tweaks? I’m all ears. 

PS: I’ve got a lil something I’ve been working on that should be up in a couple days, kinda just something for fun related to the concepts 

It really is crazy what a difference your illustrations make in presenting your uniform concepts. It makes me wonder if other user's concepts are actually great, but just aren't presented well with the same old flat templates... there were several designs where I thought "meh" when I saw the flat templates, and then completely 180'd when I saw the game-action drawings 🤩

11 hours ago, jn8 said:

Thought about waiting a bit, decided to just post now. On to the next:

San Francisco 49ers

Overall, I think the classic set is better than the 2000s, but there were a couple things from that version that I wanted to incorporate. Let’s get to it. 

Helmet:

Immediately jumping to one of those 2000s carryovers, the only tweak is a red facemask. I’m not anti-gray facemask, but I feel like there’s better alternatives for most, like in this case. 

Jerseys:

Just the two. Both have the standard block number font and the third stripe returns to the sleeves. The second 2000s carryover is the logo on the sleeves, bet with a minor tweak: instead of the SF monogram, the oval contains the players’ numbers. 

Pants:

One pair of gold pants with a red-white-red stripe. 

Combinations:

I ain’t no math magician, but two jerseys and one pair of pants is pretty simple. Only thing to note is a pair of striped white socks for the white jerseys. And yes, stripes are on the red pair too. 

0x1CDt5.jpg

Awesome work on the drawings. I appreciate the time it took for you to do that. The niners combo of the new and old designs are great. I like the logo number on the sleeves, it makes the uni very distinct from the traditional designs in the past. The socks are awesome and not having the number on the shoulders really makes a difference on uniform. 

20 hours ago, jn8 said:

PS: I’ve got a lil something I’ve been working on that should be up in a couple days, kinda just something for fun related to the concepts 

In honor of the NFL Draft:

sceJ9dw.jpg

Like I said last night, I’ve been working on this for a couple days and had this idea for about a month at least, but I needed to wait until now to do it. Started the drawings Sunday and filled in jerseys as players went. No particular reason for those chosen, just a few that were high in mock drafts. Numbers are kinda random, based on the player’s college number and a quick glance at the available numbers on their team, so if I accidentally used an active player’s number or retired number, my bad but it’s just for fun here. 

Small things to note:

Jacksonville, Denver, Arizona, and New York and have tweaks. Jacksonville gets gold added to the number outlines (previously was just a black outline, now has both), Denver’s facemask is now white (was orange), Arizona has a new pant stripe, and I started using the green helmet for the Jets. 

Larger note:

Bucs preview, full thing coming very soon. 

If a player you wanted to see isn’t here, I’m sorry, but I probably either couldn’t find a good picture or fit them in here. Feel free to ask for a rookie you wanna see tho

40 minutes ago, jn8 said:

In honor of the NFL Draft:

sceJ9dw.jpg

Like I said last night, I’ve been working on this for a couple days and had this idea for about a month at least, but I needed to wait until now to do it. Started the drawings Sunday and filled in jerseys as players went. No particular reason for those chosen, just a few that were high in mock drafts. Numbers are kinda random, based on the player’s college number and a quick glance at the available numbers on their team, so if I accidentally used an active player’s number or retired number, my bad but it’s just for fun here. 

Small things to note:

Jacksonville, Denver, Arizona, and New York and have tweaks. Jacksonville gets gold added to the number outlines (previously was just a black outline, now has both), Denver’s facemask is now white (was orange), Arizona has a new pant stripe, and I started using the green helmet for the Jets. 

Larger note:

Bucs preview, full thing coming very soon. 

If a player you wanted to see isn’t here, I’m sorry, but I probably either couldn’t find a good picture or fit them in here. Feel free to ask for a rookie you wanna see tho

This was the first thing I thought of when you said something fun and special. Great work! Also love the slight changes to the Niners and Lions.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

I already have a bit of a sneak peek of the Bucs so I might as well roll out the full redesign now. I took major inspiration from the 2000s set, but gave everything a bit of my own twist, hopefully that’s a good thing. 

Logo/Colors:

I dropped silver/chrome from the scheme. In early sketches, silver actually played a major role, but once I settled on a design I liked there was no way to incorporate it and keep a good look, in my opinion, so it gets removed. More noticeably, I returned to the darker shade of red. I can’t really explain why, I just feel like the darker shade works better for a pirate-based mascot. As for the logo, its sort of a hybrid between the old and new. I kept the skull and swords from the current logo, but the flag goes back to the old style with the rips and tears. 

Helmet:

One thing I really like from the current Bucs look is the larger helmet logo, so that’s kept here. Other than that, the helmet is very similar to the 2000s pewter shell and black mask. 

Jerseys:

Three jerseys here, the home red, away white, and the alternate is pewter. The jerseys have a sword-inspired stripe that was initially colored silver, but like I said above, the silver didn’t look right, it took too much focus away from other colors, so I made it either pewter or red, depending on the jersey. The numbers are a modified block font with different angles and curves and stuff. IDK how to describe it, I was messing around in class one day and it just sort of happened and I thought it fit my Bucs design.

Pants:

Something odd to say, but the pants actually drove most of this design. For a while I was just kinda throwing stuff at the paper and hoping I’d like something I did, but nothing seemed to work until I based my pants stripe off the 2000s set. It’s sort of inspired by a sword, but colored like the old stripe. There’s two pairs, pewter and white, both with identical stripes. 

Combinations:

Surprisingly, with 3 jerseys and 2 pants, there isn’t much mix-and-match. The home jersey can only be worn with the pewter pants and the pewter jersey can only be worn with white pants, only the white jersey can mix both pairs, but even then I’d stick with the pewter pants most of the time. One change in combinations from the 2000s is the socks, which were black then but mine uses red, except for the pewter jerseys, which have matching socks. 

Alright, here they are:

rmsHuyS.jpg

5ki1gOk.jpg

I really hope that the pewter shows up as pewter on here. I spent more time on that than I have on any other color in this and finally got it to a shade I thought was close, so hopefully it looks right on everyone’s screens. 

6 hours ago, jn8 said:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

I already have a bit of a sneak peek of the Bucs so I might as well roll out the full redesign now. I took major inspiration from the 2000s set, but gave everything a bit of my own twist, hopefully that’s a good thing. 

Logo/Colors:

I dropped silver/chrome from the scheme. In early sketches, silver actually played a major role, but once I settled on a design I liked there was no way to incorporate it and keep a good look, in my opinion, so it gets removed. More noticeably, I returned to the darker shade of red. I can’t really explain why, I just feel like the darker shade works better for a pirate-based mascot. As for the logo, its sort of a hybrid between the old and new. I kept the skull and swords from the current logo, but the flag goes back to the old style with the rips and tears. 

Helmet:

One thing I really like from the current Bucs look is the larger helmet logo, so that’s kept here. Other than that, the helmet is very similar to the 2000s pewter shell and black mask. 

Jerseys:

Three jerseys here, the home red, away white, and the alternate is pewter. The jerseys have a sword-inspired stripe that was initially colored silver, but like I said above, the silver didn’t look right, it took too much focus away from other colors, so I made it either pewter or red, depending on the jersey. The numbers are a modified block font with different angles and curves and stuff. IDK how to describe it, I was messing around in class one day and it just sort of happened and I thought it fit my Bucs design.

Pants:

Something odd to say, but the pants actually drove most of this design. For a while I was just kinda throwing stuff at the paper and hoping I’d like something I did, but nothing seemed to work until I based my pants stripe off the 2000s set. It’s sort of inspired by a sword, but colored like the old stripe. There’s two pairs, pewter and white, both with identical stripes. 

Combinations:

Surprisingly, with 3 jerseys and 2 pants, there isn’t much mix-and-match. The home jersey can only be worn with the pewter pants and the pewter jersey can only be worn with white pants, only the white jersey can mix both pairs, but even then I’d stick with the pewter pants most of the time. One change in combinations from the 2000s is the socks, which were black then but mine uses red, except for the pewter jerseys, which have matching socks. 

Alright, here they are:

rmsHuyS.jpg

5ki1gOk.jpg

I really hope that the pewter shows up as pewter on here. I spent more time on that than I have on any other color in this and finally got it to a shade I thought was close, so hopefully it looks right on everyone’s screens. 

Not a big fan of the sword stripe on the jersey. I think just keep the stripe without the curve of the sword would be fine on the jersey. 

That being said, I love the sword stripe on the pants. I think it works better there and these concerns are amazing. Keep up the good work

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

22 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Not a big fan of the sword stripe on the jersey. I think just keep the stripe without the curve of the sword would be fine on the jersey. 

That being said, I love the sword stripe on the pants. I think it works better there and these concerns are amazing. Keep up the good work

Tried a couple alternate versions, is one of these better?

i8gbv2n.jpg

Archived