AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

9 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Whoa, am I the only one who thought they were still the Lake Erie Monsters?

People here still call them the Lake Erie Monsters. 

Fun story: I worked at the team shop when the name change happened, and people came up to me ALL THE TIME blaming me (or my coworkers) for the name change. And mind you, this was after the Monsters won the Calder Cup in 2016, and the organization mentioned that the change was submitted way before they won the cup. It was annoying...

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

11 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

People here still call them the Lake Erie Monsters. 

Fun story: I worked at the team shop when the name change happened, and people came up to me ALL THE TIME blaming me (or my coworkers) for the name change. And mind you, this was after the Monsters won the Calder Cup in 2016, and the organization mentioned that the change was submitted way before they won the cup. It was annoying...

I had absolutely no idea they changed. Then I went and looked it up and it happened in 2016 LOL. 

sig.png

Springfield Thunderbirds to play as Ice-O-Topes

December 20, 2019 - 23:00 PM

There are 33 towns or cities called Springfield in the United States. One of those, Springfield, Massachusetts, is home to the AHL’s Thunderbirds. Another, Springfield, Oregon, more than 3,000 miles away, is the inspiration for the hometown featured in the […]

Read More...

Oak View Group had its trademark application for the name Palm Springs Firebirds refused by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The USPTO's ruling cited the "likelihood of confusion with the mark" of the Ontario Hockey League's Flint Firebirds and concluded that "the compared marks are confusingly similar".

The ruling also stated:

"Additionally, because each party offers identical services, it is likely that consumers will perceive the applicant's hockey services to be related to registrant's hockey services, as it is common for hockey teams in one league to affiliate themselves with hockey teams in a different league and for the affiliated teams to share the same team name."

Oak View Group has until May 12, 2020 to "respond to the refusal by submitting evidence and arguments in support of registration", otherwise the application for the Palm Springs Firebirds name will be abandoned.

In addition to the Palm Springs Firebirds name, Oak View Group has - to date - also registered Palm Springs Dragons, Palm Springs Eagles, Palm Springs Falcons, Palm Springs Hawks, and Palm Springs Sun with the USPTO. As a result, they may simply opt to go with one of those names for the franchise. They could, of course, still file additional trademarks.

It's interesting to note that, prior to the USPTO's refusal of the Palm Springs Firebirds name, the team's website had featured the promotional tagline, "We got Fire. Bring on the Ice." In the wake of the refusal, the tagline has been changed to, "We got the heat. Bring on the ice."      

USPTO Trademark Status & Document Retrieval Case Viewer - Case ID 88573330

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

In turns out the Calgary Canucks also went retro for the game, and the rematch tonight, but for the Canucks retro means last season’s jerseys.

EOirWfDUcAEWG3p?format=jpg&name=large

Calgary Canucks should just admit they made a mistake with the uniform change this year and go back to this.  I am really not a fan of the new Calgary Canucks primary logo or look after decades of have the blue and green and this classic logo as the primary logo.

Québec Remparts throwing back to 1983-1984 tonight:

img-2835079-f.jpg

img-2835078-f.jpg

The original version had a Fredericton Express logo on one shoulder and a Nordiques one on the other (Remparts were owned by the Nordiques back then).  This one has a Nordiques logo on each shoulder.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, Dante_X said:

Québec Remparts throwing back to 1983-1984 tonight:

img-2835079-f.jpg

img-2835078-f.jpg

The original version had a Fredericton Express logo on one shoulder and a Nordiques one on the other (Remparts were owned by the Nordiques back then).  This one has a Nordiques logo on each shoulder.

The color balance of this sweater is absolutely beautiful.

• Like 1