AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

2 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Just read in Victoria's Times Colonist that the Ice were originally supposed to move to Nanaimo but they city voted down using tax money to either refurbish Frank Crane Arena or build a new one. So they moved to Winnipeg.

Interesting, apparently a similar thing happened in Chilliwack where they also said they were happy and committed to the BCHL.

Nanaimo is undergoing an effort to revitalize itself and make it more appealing, and there has been talk about putting another WHL team Up Island since they originally went back to Victoria. I guess the appeal of moving from Junior A to Major Junior wasn't enough of a leap to make it worthwhile, but you'd think they'd want to upgrade the city's only real arena eventually.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, the admiral said:

The Ice and Moose are both two teams too many for the market. Boot the farm team to Indianapolis or something.

If a smaller, let's say, 5,000 seat arena had already existed in Winnipeg the ICE could have made a go of it. The interest and fan support was there. But it's understandable that no one wanted to lay out the better part of a hundred million dollars to build them a new arena, that part was hard to swallow.

So what's the deal with the Wenatchee Wild's identity? Do they just carry everything forward from the BCHL to the WHL? Or is a new look likely?

Also, what usually happens to the old team's stuff in a situation like this? I wouldn't mind copping an team-issued ICE jersey if I could get my hands on one...

1 hour ago, zubazpirate said:

If a smaller, let's say, 5,000 seat arena had already existed in Winnipeg the ICE could have made a go of it. The interest and fan support was there. But it's understandable that no one wanted to lay out the better part of a hundred million dollars to build them a new arena, that part was hard to swallow.

That's the issue. Nobody wanted to do it. Not even the ownership who was allowed to move under the condition that they get an arena built. If there was less competition, maybe there would have been more appetite to build an arena.

It was going to be a problem when the ICE (I am so glad all the Dub teams are now back to the correct number of 0 all-capitalized team names) moved to Winnipeg and not being owned by True North. That's why the Ice move out of Edmonton to Cranbrook in the first place, because they were being squeezed out by the Oilers.

1 hour ago, zubazpirate said:

So what's the deal with the Wenatchee Wild's identity? Do they just carry everything forward from the BCHL to the WHL? Or is a new look likely?

That's what the plan appears to be. I personally hope they take a look at updating the logo because it's not great.

Wenatchee_Wild_Logo2018.png

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

That's the issue. Nobody wanted to do it. Not even the ownership who was allowed to move under the condition that they get an arena built. If there was less competition, maybe there would have been more appetite to build an arena.

It was going to be a problem when the ICE (I am so glad all the Dub teams are now back to the correct number of 0 all-capitalized team names) moved to Winnipeg and not being owned by True North. That's why the Ice move out of Edmonton to Cranbrook in the first place, because they were being squeezed out by the Oilers.

That's what the plan appears to be. I personally hope they take a look at updating the logo because it's not great.

Wenatchee_Wild_Logo2018.png

Looks like they desperately tried to combine the Minnesota Timberwolves and Wild logos together. Shockingly it didn't work out well...

29 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

An Indy suburb is building a 7,000 seat arena for the ECHL Fuel. Could definitely work for an AHL team.

Naturally it'd be in freaking Fishers... <_<

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

The fairgrounds area is horrible, Fishers is a clear upgrade. Putting it in the development with the new soccer stadium would've been better though.

Related: I don't get why they need a separate brand new arena for the G League team one town over in Noblesville. They could've easily shared one building.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

It's Indiana, they probably think they can justify it by locking down the International Live-Laugh-Love Throw Pillow Expo & Trade Show for 30 years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/20/2023 at 9:40 AM, monkeypower said:

The plan at the outset was to build a new arena next to a then-new ice rink facility, called The Rink Training Centre. The ICE's owners actually threw down a fair bit of money to build a team facility next to what was going to be their arena, but obviously the WHL arena never materialized and they only ever used it for practices (no idea what happens to all that stuff now, that's pretty big 4 year old facility to be sitting there without a use). 

I would imagine the pandemic threw them quite a curveball. The first season's playoffs were wiped out, and then the team was off the radar for the entire second season when they played a short bubble season in Saskatchewan. In the meantime, inflation caused construction costs to skyrocket. Maybe they could cobble together money for a new arena at cost of $60 million or whatever the original figure was going to be, but not at, say, $85 million. Clearly circumstances changed significantly between 2019 and 2022.

2 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

The plan at the outset was to build a new arena next to a then-new ice rink facility, called The Rink Training Centre. The ICE's owners actually threw down a fair bit of money to build a team facility next to what was going to be their arena, but obviously the WHL arena never materialized and they only ever used it for practices (no idea what happens to all that stuff now, that's pretty big 4 year old facility to be sitting there without a use). 

Yes, the initial plan was for the Ice to go in on the new arena with the the Rink program but I believe, from some online scuttlebutt, the Ice ownership had a falling out of some kind with the Rink and the plan fell apart.

Did the Ice actually build a new facility or was it just an addition to the Rink's building? If it's the latter, maybe it could still get some use after taking down some signage and repainting?

2 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

I would imagine the pandemic threw them quite a curveball. The first season's playoffs were wiped out, and then the team was off the radar for the entire second season when they played a short bubble season in Saskatchewan. In the meantime, inflation caused construction costs to skyrocket. Maybe they could cobble together money for a new arena at cost of $60 million or whatever the original figure was going to be, but not at, say, $85 million. Clearly circumstances changed significantly between 2019 and 2022.

Obviously circumstances changed, but I don't think the ownership were ever at a point where they would be impacted by construction costs or costs exceeding the original figure because they had nothing about an arena. They didn't even have a site. I don't even know if they had any plans past the Rink partnership and once that didn't materialize, nothing happened.

You can point to the pandemic or rising construction costs and it could have bought them some more leniency if they had shovels in the ground or even a solid plan but they had absolutely nothing to show. They were allowed to be moved under the condition there would be an arena built and they had nothing.

IbjBaeE.png

23 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Yes, the initial plan was for the Ice to go in on the new arena with the the Rink program but I believe, from some online scuttlebutt, the Ice ownership had a falling out of some kind with the Rink and the plan fell apart.

Did the Ice actually build a new facility or was it just an addition to the Rink's building? If it's the latter, maybe it could still get some use after taking down some signage and repainting?

Obviously circumstances changed, but I don't think the ownership were ever at a point where they would be impacted by construction costs or costs exceeding the original figure because they had nothing about an arena. They didn't even have a site. I don't even know if they had any plans past the Rink partnership and once that didn't materialize, nothing happened.

You can point to the pandemic or rising construction costs and it could have bought them some more leniency if they had shovels in the ground or even a solid plan but they had absolutely nothing to show. They were allowed to be moved under the condition there would be an arena built and they had nothing.

The ICE's facility at The Rink was essentially a team complex. It's located under the stands of the main rink. You can get a taste of it from this video... I've been in there and there is more to it than what the video shows, but this hits the highlights.

There is still a CSSHL team playing at The Rink, so maybe they will adopt it for their use.

As for the arena situation, one of the owners' friends explains it pretty succinctly in this HFBoards post he wrote yesterday:

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/winnipeg-ice-sold-moving-to-wenatchee-washington-renamed-wenatchee-wild.2860712/post-190794729

Not surprisingly the carrying costs skyrocketed due to inflation and interest rate hikes. When the ICE owners presented a plan B, the WHL turned it down and forced the sale which resulted in the relocation. Clearly the league had lost its taste for trying to make it work in Winnipeg.

4 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

The ICE's facility at The Rink was essentially a team complex. It's located under the stands of the main rink. You can get a taste of it from this video... I've been in there and there is more to it than what the video shows, but this hits the highlights.

There is still a CSSHL team playing at The Rink, so maybe they will adopt it for their use.

Yeah, I think with some repainting and some signage changes, that could still get some use by the CSSHL teams.

4 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

As for the arena situation, one of the owners' friends explains it pretty succinctly in this HFBoards post he wrote yesterday:

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/winnipeg-ice-sold-moving-to-wenatchee-washington-renamed-wenatchee-wild.2860712/post-190794729

Not surprisingly the carrying costs skyrocketed due to inflation and interest rate hikes. When the ICE owners presented a plan B, the WHL turned it down and forced the sale which resulted in the relocation. Clearly the league had lost its taste for trying to make it work in Winnipeg.

See none of those were made public, at least to my knowledge and I doubt they were public if the first explanation of it comes from the owner's friend on a message board, so I had nothing to go off of.

I think your comment at the end here and a person in that thread a couple replies down from your linked one explain it really, I think the league just wanted to wash their hands of Winnipeg after everything fell apart and no new arena appeared to be coming. Winnipeg was so far away from every other team and for being in a large metro (in relation to junior hockey), the WHL wasn't getting much benefit out of it when Winnipeg wouldn't get a brand new facility and couldn't be a flagship franchise.

I'm not surprised the WHL said no to the plan B, if that is all true, because that plan still wouldn't have fixed the issues with the location. 20 million is pretty steep for still not getting up to the 5000 seat requirement and it wasn't going to be a new arena which the WHL wanted.

IbjBaeE.png

On 6/19/2023 at 7:20 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

Just read in Victoria's Times Colonist that the Ice were originally supposed to move to Nanaimo but they city voted down using tax money to either refurbish Frank Crane Arena or build a new one. So they moved to Winnipeg.

We voted down a new facility on the waterfront.  The referendum ran about 80 percent against.

I can haz sig?

21 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I think your comment at the end here and a person in that thread a couple replies down from your linked one explain it really, I think the league just wanted to wash their hands of Winnipeg after everything fell apart and no new arena appeared to be coming. Winnipeg was so far away from every other team and for being in a large metro (in relation to junior hockey), the WHL wasn't getting much benefit out of it when Winnipeg wouldn't get a brand new facility and couldn't be a flagship franchise.

I'm not surprised the WHL said no to the plan B, if that is all true, because that plan still wouldn't have fixed the issues with the location. 20 million is pretty steep for still not getting up to the 5000 seat requirement and it wasn't going to be a new arena which the WHL wanted.

That's a fair assessment. It looks like the WHL never wanted to be in Winnipeg, but it was induced by the promise of a new arena in a large WHL market that it could hold up as a trophy. When the new arena never materialized, the WHL no longer had a use for Winnipeg and that pretty much was the end of it.  This despite the fact that the plan B probably could have worked out well over the long term.

I've never 100% figured out what the deal is with the Saguenay and at this point I don't intend to. Something is a city, or used to be a city, or became a city, and I guess someone's mad about that? I dunno. I like the old logo better even if it's objectively poorer design.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That old logo has to be one of the wordiest hockey logos in existence. 8 different words/place names by my count.

Also someone once told me that the Sagueneens logo was a reference to blueberries or some other sort of berry that grows in the region... is there any truth to that, or was my leg being pulled?