AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

Flint Firebirds are honoring the Generals tonight with a Flint Generals alumni game before the Firebirds start. I know there’s already a Generals in the OHL. But damn being a Flint native and remembering going to the Flint Generals games when I would visit. I have some nostalgia 

Dostal, Wolf combine for shutout at 2023 AHL All-Star Challenge

NoVa Caps | Washington Capitals | News, Analysis, Opinion

I was watching the AHL All Star Games on NHL Network last night. I like that each division had their own colors and I don't know why the NHL stopped doing that, especially with all of the colors that were available from the 1994 All Star game and the Florida Panther color schemes over the years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/2/2023 at 8:45 PM, nash61 said:

The Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL) are moving to Brantford for at least the next two seasons, and will rebrand as the Brantford Bulldogs. Logos and uniforms will remain the same.

They made it official tonight. New shoulder logo, too.

1920x1080_brantfordbulldogs-1024x576.jpg

NOTE: The shield ghosting is just from a hastily removed previous shoulder patch.

el1rgSC.jpg

EDIT: Big version of the new shoulder logo added

B-Paws-1437x2048.png

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/7/2023 at 9:59 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Dostal, Wolf combine for shutout at 2023 AHL All-Star Challenge

I was watching the AHL All Star Games on NHL Network last night. I like that each division had their own colors and I don't know why the NHL stopped doing that, especially with all of the colors that were available from the 1994 All Star game and the Florida Panther color schemes over the years. 

I would hate to play a game where the colors are light gray and white...

• Like 1

So, I've been wondering for the longest time about the CCM Quicklite template that every minor league team uses.

Is it just a Reebok Edge template with a new collar, or is the jersey stitching from the Quicklite different from Edge and Adizero? Is there a difference between Edge, Adizero, and Quicklite at all aside from the collar designs?

I'm just wondering.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:45 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

So, I've been wondering for the longest time about the CCM Quicklite template that every minor league team uses.

Is it just a Reebok Edge template with a new collar, or is the jersey stitching from the Quicklite different from Edge and Adizero? Is there a difference between Edge, Adizero, and Quicklite at all aside from the collar designs?

I'm just wondering.

For the most part it's a different construction & lighter material. Front and back jersey panels are all one piece between the shoulders & arms, instead of having the underarm panels.  League & CCM logos are pressed onto the front (No longer stitched patches). 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I always thought Brantford should have a permanent OHL team.

The problem with Brantford is that it's already surrounded by OHL teams; it's in close proximity to the Storm, Ice Dogs, Rangers, Generals, Knights, Steelheads and especially the Bulldogs. I dunno if there's even room in that area for another franchise to try and root itself.

The entire reason the Bulldogs are going to Brampton while FirstOntario is being renovated to begin with is that it's only half an hour from Hamilton.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The problem with Brantford is that it's already surrounded by OHL teams; it's in close proximity to the Storm, Ice Dogs, Rangers, Generals, Knights, Steelheads and especially the Bulldogs. I dunno if there's even room in that area for another franchise to try and root itself.

The entire reason the Bulldogs are going to Brampton while FirstOntario is being renovated to begin with is that it's only half an hour from Hamilton.

Brantford already has a Jr A and Jr B team owned by the same guy who owns the Niagara IceDogs, Darren Dobbelaer.  I am surprised he didn't try and block the Bulldogs from this move as I have heard rumours he's talked about moving his team to Brantford

Will be interesting to see the fan support of the Bulldogs. Despite Brantford arguably being a hockey town, the Bandits average 73 fans per game during the regular season

Whichever city ends up with the Bulldogs after Hamilton's arena renovations are complete, I believe the other one will get an OHL expansion team.

The question is, who would be a second expansion city for the league?

bYhYmxh.png

19 hours ago, Underdog519 said:

Will be interesting to see the fan support of the Bulldogs. Despite Brantford arguably being a hockey town, the Bandits average 73 fans per game during the regular season

I think it's too early to make any projections yet, especially when you're comparing an OHL team to a Jr. B team.

I think just a few more people would turn out for an OHL game.

IbjBaeE.png

On 2/13/2023 at 6:35 AM, Burmy said:

Whichever city ends up with the Bulldogs after Hamilton's arena renovations are complete, I believe the other one will get an OHL expansion team.

The question is, who would be a second expansion city for the league?

The Brantford Civic Centre is nearly 60 years old, and holds less than 3000 people. I know the Bulldogs are pumping some money into it, but it really doesn't seem like anything more than a stopgap solution.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:37 PM, Underdog519 said:

Brantford already has a Jr A and Jr B team owned by the same guy who owns the Niagara IceDogs, Darren Dobbelaer.  I am surprised he didn't try and block the Bulldogs from this move as I have heard rumours he's talked about moving his team to Brantford

I believe they will either allow him to move the IceDogs to Brantford and the Bulldogs will move to Niagara, or he will sell the IceDogs to purchase the Bulldogs and keep them in Brantford.

At the end of the day, his other ownership partner is Wayne Gretzky. There is no way his end game is not Brantford.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, monkeypower said:

I think it's too early to make any projections yet, especially when you're comparing an OHL team to a Jr. B team.

I think just a few more people would turn out for an OHL game.

I will agree with you, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I'll go one level higher than Jr B. The Jr A 99ers (The direct affiliate of the IceDogs) averages 91 fans per game. I know the OHL has more buying power in terms of fan attractiveness, but on paper Brantford seems like a tough drawing market for hockey

22 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Calgary Hitmen will be honoring Bret "The Hitman" Hart with a Forever a Hitman honor as the team was named after him. They will wear special jerseys for the game.

Bret-Hart-Jersey-2.jpg

Bret-Hart-Jersey.jpg

This is the third Bret Hart night and you can see the two previous jerseys behind the players in the top photo, just a pink and black version of this same jersey. The Hitmen had made mention of a Forever a Hitmen night before the season but hadn't yet announced who it would be and now we know.

He'll join Brad Moran (who's number was actually retired because it was before the Flames introduced the "Forever a [name]" program and I don't really have a problem with the Hitmen, because of junior hockey's cyclical nature, and Roughnecks, who hadn't yet retired a number, doing it but it's stupid for the Flames), Ryan Getzlaf, Andrew Ladd and Kelly Kisio.

1 hour ago, Underdog519 said:

I will agree with you, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I'll go one level higher than Jr B. The Jr A 99ers (The direct affiliate of the IceDogs) averages 91 fans per game. I know the OHL has more buying power in terms of fan attractiveness, but on paper Brantford seems like a tough drawing market for hockey

Okay, that's a bit worse then. Yeah, the OHL has more buying power but if the Jr. A team is that low, it's a bit more concerning.

IbjBaeE.png