Charlotte Bobcats Branding Guide

CC97

That is a excellent pdf! I'd love to get my hands on a hard copy of that. They did do one thing right, they hired a real graphic design firm to work on their marketing and other graphic design. I mean the design of that pdf and pretty much everything they've done non-logo wise has been surprising, and in a good way. The pop up ads you see on their site, this pdf. Its very different from what most professional teams do, and I think it works.

As a graphic designer, I'm happy with this stuff.

As a logo/uniform designer, I'm still disapointed with them.

After seeing that, they would have been better off as the Dragons. Most of those logos are much better and more intimidating than all of the Bobcats logos, especially since Bobcats aren't all that threatening. Then, looking at the explination of the uniform, it looks like the "see-through" comment was referring to the gray mesh inserts, which isn't even all that see-through. Just, someone tell me, besides the side panels (which don't count), what is so revolutionary about the uniforms from a visual sense?

VmWIn6B.png

if you have illustrator...open that bad boy up in it. They left it editable...that means you have everyone of those logos in vector format....

I don't know for sure...but I'm thinkin' thats a mistake. Cause you can make a pdf uneditable...

Anyway...might be able to have some fun with that.

if you have illustrator...open that bad boy up in it. They left it editable...that means you have everyone of those logos in vector format....

I don't know for sure...but I'm thinkin' thats a mistake. Cause you can make a pdf uneditable...

Yes, I noticed that too :) Not sure if I should list all of those as Bobcats unused on the site... that would be a huge list!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

beat ya to it...I already started playing with everything in Illustrator :P

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

yes, but the thing is, its still in vector form. Meaning we can resize it anysize we want without losing resolution. We can edit them in illustrator and they'll still look good. etc.

It was just a mistake. An intern at along the line somewhere forgot to unmark the leave editable option is all.

They chose what was probably what would've been my 3rd or 4th, or perhaps even 5th choice for their design. Though the jerseys look okay if not better than average for an NBA team, the look they chose will get old - quick.

In looking at all the name choices now along with the designs, the one name which I thought was absolutely stupid at the time is now the one I'd probably have chosen - the Charlotte Flight. Of all the names, to me the Flight designs appear the best of the bunch.

nav-logo.png

the bobcats logo in the "evolution of the logo" page that is the first one on that page with the profile of the bobcat head and the "leaping" bobcats wordmark that looks exactly like the one on their uniforms would most definitely been better, but of course the bobcat would have to have a face. (its the first one on the left in the row of 4 with the 4th one being the actual selected logo.)

By the way, their uniforms are awesome. The other ideas they had for them SUCKED. except for the one that is almost the exact same as the ones they released except for the middle insert on the side panel is the same color as the uniform. that one would have been better.

Oh yea, Chris, when or can you get the Secondary and Uniform scripts up on your site?

Well, looking through the rejected logos, I really like the first one in the third row (the one with the head in the C), just because that Bobcat actually looks fierce unlike the housecat in the actual logo. The second in the 6th row also had promise, because of the crowns on the shield. I still think that Dragons would have been a much better name, since not only are they quite menacing, but because that would connect to the whole regal connection with Charlotte as the Queen City. However, something tells me that a Gothic dragon couldn't incorporate the hip-hop look they were looking for. It's just amazing thinking about all the possibilities that were wasted. What's interesting is that Encarta says that a Bobcat is another name for a wildcat, so pretty much, that means that Charlotte borrowed the same mascot from Arizona, Kentucky, Northwestern, Kansas State, Villanova, etc. etc. So, doesn't is seem like they could have at least been somewhat original when choosing the name, yet alone the logo?

VmWIn6B.png

Archived