MLB Nike 2020 Redesign

St Louis Cardinals

It's been a while since I last posted a concept, and I feel my designing has improved a lot, so I wanted to challenge myself.  I took it upon myself to redesign the MLB.  Instead of just tweaking my way through the MLB, I wanted to make every single team look greatly different than they do now.  I have already finished all thirty teams, so I will release two every couple days or so.  Hopefully you guys don't mind the format, I thought it looked cooler than simply showing the uniform on a blank background.

Yankees: I didn't know how to redesign the Yankees without changing the name, so that's exactly what I did.  I thought if any team was going to have a vintage look, it should be the Yankees.  The name plays of the nickname "Bronx Bombers", while also doubling as a homage to the Army.  I put a flannel pattern on the road, and kept the wordmarks simple.  there are no alternate jerseys or hats for the bombers.

Rays: I decided to bring back some of my favorite uniforms of all time, but with a twist.  I went with a minty green color and a lighter blue.  I got rid of the gradiant on the wordmarks and tweaked them a little.  The TB hat could be worn with any of the uniforms, while the Devil Ray hat would only be worn with the away and alternate jersey.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Wow, you really went there and rebranded the Yankees. That takes some balls. 

That is right. Hard to change tradition with a team like this , but went for it. Nice job. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

I love the devil rays. Probably what they should’ve done when they rebranded in 07 (or when they originally changed their colors). For the Yankees/Bombers: if you want to rebrand that’s cool, but you should at least keep an interlocking NY. You can change their current one, but it’s necessary to keep it for practical reasons. Also, maybe make the bomb more 40’s bomb-shaped, if that makes sense. Like try to round it out, give it more definition (like a highlight or something). Love the shark paint tho

1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

I love the devil rays. Probably what they should’ve done when they rebranded in 07 (or when they originally changed their colors). For the Yankees/Bombers: if you want to rebrand that’s cool, but you should at least keep an interlocking NY. You can change their current one, but it’s necessary to keep it for practical reasons. Also, maybe make the bomb more 40’s bomb-shaped, if that makes sense. Like try to round it out, give it more definition (like a highlight or something). Love the shark paint tho

spacer.png

Is this more of what you had in mind?  Added a NY logo and rounded out the bomb.  I am trying to stay away from highlights on the logo to keep it as simple as possible.  I'm trying to make the logo seems as if it's one of the classic logos, a logo that's been around for a while.

And now for 2 more teams in the AL East.  This is the division I am least happy with, so probably shouldn't have started out with them, but oh well.

Red Sox: Decided to completely revamp them as well.  I only wanted one SOX team, and I decided to keep the White Sox because I thought they had some pre-existing logos that were easier to work with then the Red Sox.  I named the Boston team the Ports.  I have been to Cape Cod before, and boating and fishing is definitely a huge thing up there.  I went with a powder blue and yellow scheme to try and get away from the red-blue that is so common in the MLB.  I kept the jerseys similar to their current jerseys.  The blue hat could be worn with all uniforms, while the White hat would be for the white jersey and blue jersey only.

Orioles: To be honest I had no idea what to do with the Orioles.  I did this a couple months ago, so if I tried my hand now at them I would probably change the name completely.  I might come back and revisit them later, but all I did to them was add a stripe that goes down the sleeves, ala the St. Louis Browns.  I decided to get rid of the cartoon oriole and brought back the realistic bird, while taking away some highlights and generally simplifying the logo.  The Alternate is a throwback to the Ripken days, since that is what the club is known most for.  All hats could be worn with all uniforms.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

You madman, you rebranded the Red Sox, too! The Ports look good, but I’d play with the shades of blue and yellow. As you can probably see, the colors bleed together and look green on the scripts. And since you gave them a blue alternate, how about just making the road set blue and giving them a yellow alt?

Also what about the numbers? (Besides the o ‘s)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 5/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, coco1997 said:

You madman, you rebranded the Red Sox, too! The Ports look good, but I’d play with the shades of blue and yellow. As you can probably see, the colors bleed together and look green on the scripts. And since you gave them a blue alternate, how about just making the road set blue and giving them a yellow alt?

You're right about the colors, I didn't notice anything until you said it.  I'll try and tweak it today or tomorrow and fix it.  I'm thinking I'll just darken the shade of blue a hair.  As for the blue away uniform, I actually think the gray compliments the two colors really well so I'd rather keep it, especially since there is already two blue away uniforms in the league.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, Blindsay said:

Also what about the numbers? (Besides the o ‘s)

When I look at concepts I don't really pay attention to the numbers, so I did away with it in this.  It would have added extra work and really wouldn't have added anything to the series, for me personally.

And finally, to round out the AL East and dip a little into the AL Central, here's the blue jays and White Sox.

Blue Jays: I actually liked the mid 2000's blue jays set, so I decided to keep it with a little tweaks.  I modified the back edge of the blue jays head and re-emphasized the blue.  I brought back the white panel hat, and changed the bill to gray because I don't like how on the current hat the bill and back of the hat are the same color.  I added silhouetted maple leafs on the tops of the sleeves and a Canadian flag on the sleeves, to emphasize the blue jays as Canada's team, much as they do now.  The only team in the series with three hats, each hat would only be worn with one jersey.  White to white, blue to gray, and red to red.

White Sox:  I went for a really throwback vibe to this set because of how good the throwback logos are.  Modified an old SOX logo and added the chicago flag stars in it, to add some local flair.  I went with sleeve numbers on the away jersey, similar to how they were back in the 60's I believe.  Tried out a pinstripe hat and pinstriped jersey with piping on top.  I was worried it might look too college-ish but I actually think it turned out great.  The white hat would obviously only be worn at home, and the black hat only on the road.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

NY and Boston look great, at least in a vacuum! The shadows on Boston's lighthouse are a bit weird, but otherwise, great logo. NY's bomb is cool and I like the monogram a lot.

The Orioles' bird logo is a nice simplification; they should totally use that. The alt looks great.

I love the colors and logo usage for Tampa Bay! My suggestions are to switch the text to blue on the cap and green jersey, and add some sleeve striping (maybe a little bit of a gradient callback?)

The White Sox look pretty good; I'd ditch the silver outline at home, though. I really like all the Chicago stars, especially on the road script.

Toronto's good, for a 2000s logo concept!

Fun series you've got going!

20 minutes ago, vtgco said:

The White Sox look pretty good; I'd ditch the silver outline at home, though. I really like all the Chicago stars, especially on the road script.

I didn’t even notice the Chicago stars replaced the regular five-pointed stars on the logo. Clever! 

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

NY and Boston look great, at least in a vacuum! The shadows on Boston's lighthouse are a bit weird, but otherwise, great logo. NY's bomb is cool and I like the monogram a lot.

The Orioles' bird logo is a nice simplification; they should totally use that. The alt looks great.

I love the colors and logo usage for Tampa Bay! My suggestions are to switch the text to blue on the cap and green jersey, and add some sleeve striping (maybe a little bit of a gradient callback?)

Toronto's good, for a 2000s logo concept!

Fun series you've got going!

Tried to take some of your suggestions.  Here's the White Sox with no gray outline, I actually do like this and think it's an improvement.

spacer.png

Here's the Devil Rays with a sleeve stripe and Blue logo on the alt.  i had no idea what to do on the sleeve stripe, and I wasn't really pleased with what I came out with, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  I also am not sure about the blue logo on the alt.  Kind of pops out while most everything else in the set is more muted.

spacer.png

On 5/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, coco1997 said:

spacer.png

I darkened the blue's a bit.  Hopefully this is better.

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Now is when things start to get interesting.

Tigers: I played around a little with the template and added a tiger stripe to the sleeves.  I thought this was a good way to add some flair to an otherwise drab uniform, and allowed me to keep the iconic D logo on both the home and away jersey.  I used the Detroit script on the alternate.  I made the D on the white jersey white with a thick blue outline because i really liked the way it looked and also you could tie it into a white tiger.  All caps could be worn with all jerseys.

Royals: I almost completely re-did the Royals based on their turn ahead the clock uniform.  I added a faux-vest look to the sleeves and added a new, more royal looking font.  I used this font to create a new KC logo.  The road is gold.  I tried to experiment a lot with how many grays and different colored away uniforms I could use in this series.  The alternate is, in my opinion, a really simple and futuristic looking alt. that is simple enough to look good a couple years from now, but futuristic enough to be a really interesting look.  All caps could be worn with all jerseys.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Tigers: Nice job! I prefer the newest gothic d tho

KC: that’s unique, sort of like a 2000s concept but works nicely. Keep up the good work!

also a black cap with the ray would look good on the rays concept.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have to be honest, I'm not really feeling these last two teams as much. I like the Tigers shoulders stripes, and the navy alt is a nice addition, but the white on white "D" doesn't stand out. I'd make the "D" orange with a navy outline like a reverse of the road "D." 

The Royals feel like a big downgrade over their current look, which is pretty much perfect. I've never cared for that dark shade of gold--it feels very late '90s/early 2000s. When the Royals do use metallic gold, it works best as an accent color. The TATC-inspired alt is pretty cool, though. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Royals feel like a big downgrade over their current look, which is pretty much perfect. I've never cared for that dark shade of gold--it feels very late '90s/early 2000s. When the Royals do use metallic gold, it works best as an accent color. The TATC-inspired alt is pretty cool, though. 

I have to disagree, the royals look is a lifeless copy of the dodgers imo, this change is so fresh and unique to them I love it. The gold away needs to be blue but the gold could still be an alt

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

19 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I have to be honest, I'm not really feeling these last two teams as much. I like the Tigers shoulders stripes, and the navy alt is a nice addition, but the white on white "D" doesn't stand out. I'd make the "D" orange with a navy outline like a reverse of the road "D." 

I understand why you say that about the Royals, it is a big change.  But I do want to make drastic changes to pretty much every team, an the Royals were a great candidate to do so because of how similar they are to the Dodgers.  If you have any suggestions about what way you'd want me to take the Royals let me know and I can try and adjust them.  I did take your suggestion on the tigers and here's what I was playing around with.  Let me know which one you guys like best.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

17 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I have to disagree, the royals look is a lifeless copy of the dodgers imo, this change is so fresh and unique to them I love it. The gold away needs to be blue but the gold could still be an alt

Thanks for the kind words.  I changed the gold away to blue, as you requested.  I'm not sure if I really think this is an upgrade, but it is up to you guys.  Like I said before, there's already two teams with powder blue roads (the Dodgers being one of them) so I'm hesitant to add a third.  I also made the alt. gold just to see how it looks, wasn't sure on how to color the crown.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Archived