MLB Nike 2020 Redesign

St Louis Cardinals

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, moving on to the next two teams.  I decided to rebrand both the Twins and the Indians.  The twins is my favorite in the whole series, and the gladiators is my least favorite.

Gladiators: Decided to rename the Indians and create a whole new logo.  The identity is based loosely around the guardian statue around Cleveland.  I decided to keep the script on the home and the block on the away, same as what the indians do now.  I am pretty unhappy with how the logo turned out, would love to know what you guys think i could do to improve it.

Wolfpack: I wanted to base the Minnesota teams identity around some of the beautiful nature photos I have seen of the state.  I based the colors on the northern lights, and made a geometric looking wolf logo.  i was going to put the state of Minnesota logo on the sleeves, but it looked really bad with where the template cut it off.  It just looked like a purple blob, so I decided to keep it off.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

For Cleveland, try completely re-doing how and where the face is lit from. Tbh this is something I’ve had a lot of trouble with in the past, but it’s also important to learn. Maybe (if treating the logo as a 3-D object, in this case a head) don’t just light its face, but instead light it from the viewers perspective. Still keep the mix of warm colors in there to make it feel kinda like a bronze statue (kinda the vibe I’m getting, if I’m wrong lmk). For Minnesota, I don’t think the word you’re thinking of is geometric to describe the logo. It has a smoothness and flow to it that I really like, and maybe use that kind of flow on the sleeves as a design coming up to the shoulders, if you’re willing to go pretty far out there. The pinstripes just don’t really make sense for me, especially making them faded. Like I understand why, but I feel like with such a modern design otherwise, maybe make the accenting more modern than pinstripes.

I like the idea behind both these rebrands. For Cleveland, the color scheme is too similar to the Pirates, so maybe look to the other Cleveland teams for inspiration. Cavaliers maroon and gold or Browns orange and brown are some possibilities. 

The Wolfpack are interesting. I think you need a little more contrast behind the teal and turquoise for the road pinstripes idea to work. 

On 5/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, St Louis Cardinals said:

Here's the Devil Rays with a sleeve stripe and Blue logo on the alt.  i had no idea what to do on the sleeve stripe, and I wasn't really pleased with what I came out with, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  I also am not sure about the blue logo on the alt.  Kind of pops out while most everything else in the set is more muted.

spacer.png

The blue TB is an improvement, but after seeing it, maybe white would work better?

As for the striping, it's too few colors with kinda jarring jumps. I was thinking more gradual stripes, sorta like the pattern of the script on this shirt the Rays are selling:

D4n-vhoW4AEwMQF.jpg

For Detroit's home, I think navy works best for the D. Maybe try it without an outline?

The crowns on KC's scripts is really cool. I like the powder blue away a lot, but the crown doesn't work on a gold jersey like it does on royal blue. Also, the sleeve logo looks weird with the flat shield and the curved crown together.

Cleveland's scripts are nice, and the idea is interesting. I agree with @Htown1141 is totally right about there being way too much shadow on the logo. I think using a bronze as the main color is the way to go, maybe some maroon accents.

Minnesota looks awesome! My only suggestion is to go dark blue or black for the alt, with white or teal pinstripes.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s also confusing with the twolves in the same state.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

3 hours ago, Blindsay said:

It’s also confusing with the twolves in the same state.

Tell that to the Bills/Sabres/Bisons/Bulls, Dolphins/Marlins, Capitals/Nationals, and Astros/Rockets

13 hours ago, JG36 said:

Tell that to the Bills/Sabres/Bisons/Bulls, Dolphins/Marlins, Capitals/Nationals, and Astros/Rockets

Well Wolves And Wolfpack? The bills are at least buffaloes. Sabres are swords that happened to have a buffalo on it. Dolphins and Marlins are different species. At least the others  have different names for different things. But wolves are both in their name. So how about the Reign or Rock? Both Prince references

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

While I work on the updates I'll throw in the next two teams.  I am reading the comments and will implement your guys suggestions soon.  Meanwhile here are the Astros and Angels.  For the Astros I wanted to incorporate more of a space theme.  There is a moon pattern on the scripts and the sleeves.  The sleeve pattern mimics some of the Astros prior uniforms.  The line in the A and the H on the scripts is from the NASA logo.  For the Angels, I wanted to clean up the disney era set.  I switched out red for gold, and took out the Angel wings.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

I really applaud you for thinking outside the box with these designs! Some of them work better than others, but I admire your creativity nonetheless.

The Angels scream '90s, and if that's what you were going for then you certainly pulled it off. Definitely a big departure from their current identity.

The Astros are a cool idea. While I'm not sure it's necessarily something a Major League team would attempt, I like the thought process behind it. I might replace black with navy, since there are already two other black and orange teams, and it might help make the set feel a little more "Astros."

Keep up the good work! 

Ok I'm back with some updates.  I took off all the outlines on the Tiger's home jersey.  I do like this look better.

spacer.png

For the Devil Rays, I tried the sleeve stripe again, but I still don't like what I've come up with.  I tried basing it off the shirt design that vtgco posted but it still clashes with the jersey badly, in my opinion.

spacer.png

And finally, for the Astros i changed the black to blue.  I don't know if this really fits with the space theme I have going for them, but that's up to you guys.

spacer.png

Obviously these are all quick changes, so when you guys decide which is better I'll update the presentation photo and make it look nice.  For the Royals I will change the sleeve logo to look 2-D, and I am going to completely re-do Cleveland.  I am still working on an update to the wolfpack jersey.  Might also change the name, still unsure about that.

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

And two new teams for today.  For Oakland, I decided to go really out of the box.  obviously a design like this wouldn't work in real life, but I do really like it.  The chinese character on the home jersey means Elephant.  The alt. design is almost like a NBA City alt.  The dragon (didn't make it myself) is almost invisible, and the number is the only thing on the jersey to stand out.  The Oakland Flag tree is on the sleeve.  The one time I went to Oakland we passed through Chinatown, and I thought it was a really cool place and something I could base their identity around.

For the Mariners, I took a lot of inspiration from the TATC jersey.  Red and black are brought back, and the scripts are altered a bit to add the compass logo to both jerseys.  I also created a new alt. logo.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Woah! Cool to see someone embrace the M’s TATC look. I like the A’s too, but I think you should stick with elephant imagery on the alt and drop the dragon. I wonder if you could modify the standing elephant logo to give it some Chinese art characteristics.

Keep up the awesome work!

That Mariners TATC identity is absolutely stunning and perfect. Overall this series has been very fun to look at as you have given us some very unique concepts. Can’t wait for the next batch of phenomal concepts!

rAUPGPZ.png

Thank you for the kind comments.  As for the elephant logo, I have no idea where to start to make something look chinese.  I'll try but no promises haha.  

I was messing around tonight, and thought it would be a good idea to try and overhaul the Marlins, since I really didn't change too much with them.  Here are two logos I created.

Miami Sea Tigers: This logo looks a bit unfinished, but I can't put my finger on why.  I like the idea but I'm not sure about the execution.

spacer.png

Miami Fighting Dorados: I like this logo a lot, although I'm not sure it really translates as a baseball logo.  let me know what you guys think.

spacer.png

Here are the logos on caps.

spacer.png

StLouisCardinals.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Archived