NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

2 hours ago, texashockeyfan said:

Great job, how is Vancouver coming along?

I've got the uniforms and wordmarks down, but as per usual, the logos are the hard part. I've cycled through a handful of ideas but none of them have stuck with me. I have a certain look in mind, it's just a matter of creating it. 

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• 1 month later...

After yet another long stretch of classes and little motivation, I've got a few updates to share. 

First up is Jacksonville. I've been pretty much happy with Jacksonville so far since my last update, but the logo and font especially felt a bit lacking to me. So I redesigned the whole package around the same logo and uniform ideas, this time with darker, stormier colors, a much better font, and a redesigned set of uniforms, partially inspired by the late St. Louis XFL team.

OCelMWO.png

4VWC8Y3.png

For New York, I modified the logo set to feel a bit more sturdy and to fit better on a helmet, and redesigned the font and uniforms.

8rfonHT.png

NphXGcy.png

Cincinnati gets an updated logo, with a custom font and a more unique C-shamrock logo. Uniforms are still a work in progress.

0P8VIu7.png

Arizona gets updated pants and helmet striping, based on southwestern native patterns, tweaked colors for a bit more pop, and a vibrant, shimmery orange helmet.

zcoZEAR.png

Chicago gets an updated uniform set, with standardized striping patterns now extending to the collar and cuffs, a flag patch instead of an alternate logo, and an updated wordmark and number font.

fijjUvg.png

Winnipeg gets an updated uniform set, aiming for a semi-traditional look with a more timeless number font and a more striking shade of blue.

oChOCQx.png

Lastly, here's the uniform set for Vancouver. I'm still having trouble with a logo, but I'm really happy with how this set will work for the team. Largely inspired by @nate.sweitz's Ravens concept, with shimmery feather patterns and gradients found throughout the set.

62RtPEc.png

That's all I have for now. As for the rest of the league, I'm working on updates for a handful of teams, including Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Montréal, Detroit, San Francisco, and maybe Denver. I can't be sure when I'll be able to get most of the updates and new teams done, as I now have summer classes for the next month and a busy summer between family plans and work. For now, though, I hope you enjoy this batch of updates.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to JAX, NY, + uniform updates added 6/2 ~ IAAF Project

JAX - Love the new set! The new colors are nice, I get a bit of a Detroit Lions vibe from the white set because of those numbers. The flag pattern is a bit tough to see now with the new colors but that's a minor issue.

NY - The logo is just too vertical to work well on a helmet. Not the biggest fan of the wide font you've used either, it doesn't seem to fit well. Perhaps a more art deco style would work?

CIN - There wasn't anything wrong with the old logo but this one is great as well! I like the new C but I have to wonder if the whole roundel is too busy. Think Bears-style, just the C and shamrock would work wonders as a primary.

ARZ - Love this set. Great pattern, excellent usage of the flag, the new colors pop nicely. No complaints!

CHI - I think I'd rather see the flag striping on the sleeves instead of the patch, especially when everything else has the flag style. Everything else looks great!

WPG - Big fan, no complaints!

VAN - I love how the purple and black fade into each other, but the purple into white doesn't work nearly as well. Not sure how to resolve the issue but you may have to remove the feather yoke on the away.

Overall great work yet again, only a few suggestions here. Keep it up!

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

I pretty much agree with everything @QCS said, although I will say the Shamrocks new roundel is a small step back from the last version. The spike on the C feels a bit odd, considering it’s a block font, and the roundel itself is very busy. I think the C and clover would make a fine logo on its own that fits more into football aesthetics anyway.

I also adore the Winnipeg update, that’s a gorgeous look.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

11 hours ago, QCS said:

NY - The logo is just too vertical to work well on a helmet. Not the biggest fan of the wide font you've used either, it doesn't seem to fit well. Perhaps a more art deco style would work?

That's understandable. I'll see if I can shrink the building down to fit completely inside the shield. That should probably make all the difference. As for the font, I'll revisit that too. I wanted something a bit more blocky but unique, but I definitely lost some of the Art Deco flair along the way, and I totally see that clashing a bit with the rest of the identity.

11 hours ago, QCS said:

CIN - There wasn't anything wrong with the old logo but this one is great as well! I like the new C but I have to wonder if the whole roundel is too busy. Think Bears-style, just the C and shamrock would work wonders as a primary.

6 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

The spike on the C feels a bit odd, considering it’s a block font, and the roundel itself is very busy. I think the C and clover would make a fine logo on its own that fits more into football aesthetics anyway.

Don't worry, the C-shamrock is still the primary logo, the roundel is more of a global logo like in the NBA's logo system. I'll definitely look into simplifying a bit. The spike on the C helps fit the shamrock and the C together for me, notice how it moves with the curve of the shamrock, plus it feels more in-line with the wishbone C the Reds use. I can see it sticking out from the rest of the font, but without it, it feels a lot more bland to me.

11 hours ago, QCS said:

CHI - I think I'd rather see the flag striping on the sleeves instead of the patch, especially when everything else has the flag style. Everything else looks great!

That's the thing, I felt like the flag striping was used too much. I felt that the cuff and collar detail combined with the patch was a good compromise that stayed consistent with the rest of the uniform. I'll see how the full stripe works on the sleeves, but I prefer the current detailing for now.

11 hours ago, QCS said:

VAN - I love how the purple and black fade into each other, but the purple into white doesn't work nearly as well. Not sure how to resolve the issue but you may have to remove the feather yoke on the away.

How's this? Silver should work a lot better. I'd hate to completely get rid of it, considering how unique it is compared to rest of the league, not to mention how much I loathe mismatched home and road sets.

bjrHyRi.png

Thanks again for the C&C! I can always count on you two to give me some helpful feedback. 😊

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to CIN, JAX, NY, + uniform updates added 6/2 ~ IAAF Project
On 6/3/2021 at 8:22 PM, QCS said:

I concur with QCS above, but also, I think Towers is a bad nickname for a team. I think there are a lot of better options. 

• Like 2

N3d5IIl.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 1:29 PM, jbird669 said:

I concur with QCS above, but also, I think Towers is a bad nickname for a team. I think there are a lot of better options. 

I also agree, might I propose The New York Zeniths? Zenith meaning, of course, the most powerful of the time or the tallest point in the sky. I think that could work well for a New York team and the Empire State Building logo is too nice to get rid of.

It's Me

17 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

I also agree, might I propose The New York Zeniths? Zenith meaning, of course, the most powerful of the time or the tallest point in the sky. I think that could work well for a New York team and the Empire State Building logo is too nice to get rid of.

I, personally, am not a fan of that either. To me, team names need to roll off the tongue. Zeniths does not. Why not Highlanders? Similar idea to Zenith and used to be the Yankees nickname.

• Like 3

N3d5IIl.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 6:10 AM, Bomba Tomba said:

Yo OP, I recently dug out my old copy of Madden 08, and was thinking of making some of these teams as custom teams. Would you allow it?

Go for it! Glad you're enjoying my work so much.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:21 PM, Raptorman415 said:

(New York team name ideas)

On 6/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, jbird669 said:

(New York team name ideas)

As sometimes clunky as the Towers nickname is, it's the only name I like that I have had any realistic ideas for. It's certainly not my favorite name, but it works fine as is, especially if I lean into the Art Deco theme to celebrate multiple famous buildings in the area.

I'll be sticking with it for the time being, but I'm planning an update to the logo package in the future.

Anyways, while I haven't been able to design much since the last update, I was able to get some progress done on a handful of updates, though only one I think is ready to share. 

Miami Tropics: Full rebrand. Brighter, more tropical colors take the stage in a revamped logo package that emulates a neon sign while still retaining a tropical vibe. Uniforms are essentially lifted from what I would call a perfect Dolphins set, though with wavy stripes to mimic both a wave and sunburst imagery to represent the Florida region. 

5OlgDsG.png

K1PtveB.png

Not a big update by any means, but I wanted to get something out here, and I'm really happy with how Miami turned out. Expect some more scattered updates throughout the summer.

That's all I have for now.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to MIA update added 7/19 ~ IAAF Project
  • 1 month later...

Alrighty, time for another batch of updates.

First off, now that the league no longer has teams outside of the US and Canada, the league is getting a new name and a logo to match.

The league will henceforth be known as the North American Football Association.

The logo is pretty straightfoward, with simplified US and Canadian flags inside the same badge that was previously used to keep the North and South imagery denoting the conferences.

0NDppSa.png

Montréal Monarques

The Monarques get a complete overhaul, with a new badge logo honoring Montréal's fortifications, a tweaked color scheme for a more royal feel, and more classy, timeless uniforms.

wGH3U7p.png

bo7aWoH.png

Indiana Checkers

I'm not completely sold on whether this is an upgrade over the previous logo, but I'd like to hear your thoughts regardless. The Checkers logo is redesigned to fit a badge, shaped to echo a racing track. A thin red white and blue racing stripe runs down the center of the badge and inside the jersey collar. I tried out a checkered helmet for the first time, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

Aside from that, I think the uniforms and font are a clear upgrade, I'm just not quite sold on the logo or helmet.

ORX3hVS.png

8si0ZiF.png

Cleveland Buckeyes

Tweaked the crest to be more timeless and simple.

JaWcynv.png

Toronto Lakers 

Simplified the crest down to only what I felt was necessary. The CN tower in the anchor is gone, as I felt it threw off the shape of the anchor and bogged down the logo.

JmulwuD.png

Washington Sentinels

Tweaked colors to pop more and updated the font.

MO83wGi.png

That's all I have for now. School's starting up again soon, and this fall should be especially busy for me, but I'll try to work on the series through the school year as best as I can. Until next time!

Made in Affinity Designer. Backgrounds from Unsplash. C&C appreciated.

• Like 7

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to MTL, IND, + Other updates added 8/30 ~ NAFA Project