Should NHL Playoff Division winners hang a banner

Mybug

1 hour ago, Mybug said:

so y'all are saying that regular season division champions are more important than postseason division champions (if they are not the RS division champion) if they represent their division in the Conference finals and lose?

No, that’s not it.

There is no such thing as a postseason division champion with the NHL’s current set up. The wild card teams make this so. If it was a set up where it was just like the 1980s and the divisions were entirely separated until the conference finals, then you could.

But in the current set up, the only NHL division championship is a regular season one.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

spacer.png

On 6/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, McCarthy said:

Banners that are not acceptable, but have been raised by teams - things that didn't ultimately result in winning anything and/or require a long explanation: 

Playoff Participant, Conference finalist (Colts), Division Playoff Champion, Regular Season Western/Eastern Conference Champion, Attendance Champions, Wildcard. 

so the colts hung a conference finalist banner, that was stupid. they didn't win anything, I can see my Saints doing that thanks to the "Louisiana Screwjob" in the 2019 NFC title game vs the Rams just as an act to defy Commissioner Good-hell. WHO DAT! Rams are not the fair NFC Champs. (THE NFL IS RIGGED!!!)

Dear New Orleans Saints, 

On Behalf of Who Dat Nation, Hang a 2018 NFC Champions Banner to show off to The NFL 

so the canes if they hang something for division playoff champion will be as laughable as the Predators Regular season banners?

I don't mind Presidents' Trophy banners, but if you get bounced early in the playoffs it does look silly. If you win the Presidents' Trophy and go on to lose in the conference finals there is no shame in that. As a fan I could see that banner hanging and still think fondly of the team, even if they came up a bit short in the playoffs. 

But if your team suffers an embarrassing loss in the first round to a wildcard/8th seed? Yeah, I wouldn't want to be reminded of that when I go to games. 

T1oYViW.png

14 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Conference Championships and the PT, generally, but I will burn Amalie to the ground if the Lightning hang a PT banner from this past season. Maybe retroactively if they redeem themselves and win the Cup next year.

The Cup tis the ultimate goal, and the only one that people will generally remember, in the end. That being said, the PT is still hard to win. Heck, mathematically it's the harder of the two to get (31 teams in the mix vs. 16). I have zero issues with PT banners, even in embarrassment years. I think fanfare would be the bigger issue. The Bolts might be best just doing the raise while not doing much promotion for it, given the lay of the land with the fanbase, atm.

9 hours ago, NicDB said:

I don't have a problem with division champion banners in football and baseball where that actually means something. But in basketball and hockey, where half the league makes the playoffs, they're tantamount to participation trophies.

??? Division Champion banners would be limited to four in hockey, regardless of how many more teams make the playoffs. If anything the NFL and MLB's would be less meaningful, since they have more divisions (twice as many in football).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

They DO mean less in hockey and basketball where good teams might rest guys or not care about winning the division if it meant getting guys healthy since they make the playoffs anyway. It’s really just competing for a 1 seed, which isn’t really THAT big a deal, especially if you’re really the best team and just happen not to care about it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, Mybug said:

so the colts hung a conference finalist banner, that was stupid. they didn't win anything, I can see my Saints doing that thanks to the "Louisiana Screwjob" in the 2019 NFC title game vs the Rams just as an act to defy Commissioner Good-hell. WHO DAT! Rams are not the fair NFC Champs. (THE NFL IS RIGGED!!!)

Dear New Orleans Saints, 

On Behalf of Who Dat Nation, Hang a 2018 NFC Champions Banner to show off to The NFL 

[MOD EDIT: Don't egg him on like that.]

On 6/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, Mybug said:

so the canes if they hang something for division playoff champion will be as laughable as the Predators Regular season banners?

Yes.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

13 hours ago, Mybug said:

I don't see any reason the Canes would even consider doing that. They have been to the ECF four times now, all in the last 17 years. I know it had been a while since that last playoff appearance, but a conference finals appearance isn't exactly uncharted waters for them. 

T1oYViW.png

On 6/28/2019 at 2:38 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

[MOD EDIT]

Yes.

MOD EDIT: That's not necessary. You're free to disagree with your fellow posters, but do so in a civil manner.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:12 AM, Mybug said:

spacer.png

Jet fuel can't miss pass interference calls,

(Or fail to stop a last ditch Rams FG drive, or not throw a pick in OT, or stop another offensive possession cold).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, Fitzy0220 said:

1991 and 1992 Pittsburgh Penguins Championship Banners were 3 separate Banners that combined to make 1 big banner and had: Patrick Division Champs (left panel) Stanley Cup Champs (middle panel) Wales Conference Champs (right panel)

https://binged.it/2l77BkK

I dislike the playoff division one, but that was back when there was guaranteed to be one every season. Let's say Avs-Sharks Game 7 went the other way, this past season. Do the Sharks get to hang a PDC banner? They were the last standing, despite only winning one round. Should the Avs get to hang one for the Pacific? Since there are two central teams left, would the conference championship decide the division? The current format just invalidates a logical argument for a postseason division champs banner. From where I'm standing, any team who does it just kind of looks like a mickey mouse operation that is making up excuses to hang some cloth. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

7 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I dislike the playoff division one, but that was back when there was guaranteed to be one every season. Let's say Avs-Sharks Game 7 went the other way, this past season. Do the Sharks get to hang a PDC banner? They were the last standing, despite only winning one round. Should the Avs get to hang one for the Pacific? Since there are two central teams left, would the conference championship decide the division? The current format just invalidates a logical argument for a postseason division champs banner. From where I'm standing, any team who does it just kind of looks like a mickey mouse operation that is making up excuses to hang some cloth. 

I prefer the Divisional Format but HATE this wild card cross over bull :censored:. Why can't it just be like it was from '81 - '93 and be Top 4 in Each Division (1 v 4, 2 v 3).

Having a little fun here but As an Avid Disney World Fanatic, Mickey operates pretty damn efficiently, just saying  LOL! Hell former usher at CONSOL Energy Center, SMG (owned the Arena) used Disney as their Business Model for how Employees act, look, talk and take pride in where they work (All Disney Cast Members are Responsible for Trash around the Park = All CONSOL Employees are Responsible for trash around the Arena, not talking about major trash but if I were to see a napkin and a empty cup on the concourse floor, I was Obligated to pick it up and put it in the trash can) 

The Joe Louis Arena rafters were heavily padded with all manner of regular-season/postseason divisional and conference banners and the effect was very cool. 

95f764cef48c41f75108c57ea22ec5cd.jpg

It might be that the Red Wings can get away with it because they have enough of the ones that count whereas it's dopey for the Perds to celebrate only a few shortcomings.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It might be that the Red Wings can get away with it because they have enough of the ones that count whereas it's dopey for the Perds to celebrate only a few shortcomings.

I would argue the opposite. If you're the Red Wings why the hell do you want regular season conference champion banners? You've got sooo many legitimate banners, you don't need the regular season fluff stuff. 

The Predators can at least make the excuse they are trying to make the rafters look more full. Still kinda silly to have that regular season conference champs banner, but I get why the Preds wanted to have it.

T1oYViW.png

It's the minimalism of the banners, the sheer volume of them, and the fact that they had the joint to themselves. It told you that the Red Wings had been around a long time and just about always accomplishing something. If it looked like they did recent and expensive print jobs to show off all the times they won the Norris Division, it would be lame, but the simplicity of the old banners makes it feel meaningful. Does that make any sense?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

It's the minimalism of the banners, the sheer volume of them, and the fact that they had the joint to themselves. It told you that the Red Wings had been around a long time and just about always accomplishing something. If it looked like they did recent and expensive print jobs to show off all the times they won the Norris Division, it would be lame, but the simplicity of the old banners makes it feel meaningful. Does that make any sense?

But when you have 10 Stanley cups and 6 retired numbers, banners for beating 1/8th of the league just seem very weak in comparison. Now a team like the predators have no history of success they will take any reason to celebrate that they can.

4 hours ago, selby56 said:

The Predators can at least make the excuse they are trying to make the rafters look more full.

I've never seen a case where teams try to make the rafters look full where it actually works. "Best fans" banners, "playoff participant" banners, "conference finalist" banners, "regular season conference champions" banners- they all make your team look small-time. The Preds have a Western Conference Champions banner and a President's Trophy Champions banner they can hang. That's more than some teams. No need to clutter it up with extra nonsense.

There should only be banners for

-Division Champions

-Conference Champions

-Presidents Trophy

-Cup Champions

-Retired Numbers

However, depending on how successful a team has been, Things like Divsion Championships should either be removed, or all years put on one banner. 

I.E. Predators can hang Division Banners, but Detroit shouldn't. 

I prefer @McCarthy 's standard. If you win a trophy? You can raise a banner.

Obviously some teams like Montreal hold to the standard that it's a Cup or nothing, but I won't criticize any team for any banner that resulted in hardware being won.

The President's Trophy is tricky. If you go down swinging in the playoffs? There's no shame in hanging the banner. If you pull a Lighting, however, then you should probably avoid a banner just to save yourself further embarrassment and mockery.

The Lighting should get a banner that says "President's Trophy winner and Playoff Participant."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived