The Yankees 1974 road jersey....

I have been pinged to this thread, and while I do think the Yankees don't have "team colors" in the sense that the Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, and others do, road pinstripes on the Yanks is something I can't get behind. I'm an ur-traditionalist on the topic; they should just be wearing the plainest of road greys:

FAHKCABFC5ETPN6PCAHAQKNN4Q.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like that would be a step back for the Yankees.  As it is, the road uniforms look like a perfectly natural evolution going all the way back to the days of Ruth and Gehrig.  Removing the stripes and white elements would be change for the sake of change and as ill-advised as the Red Sox removing all the actual red from their roads a few years ago.

I'm against a "road alternate" because it will inevitably be decided that they should wear it at home to "market" it to home fans.

And the Yankees should never wear anything but their home uniform at home. It's bad enough they've futzed with the caps a few times. 

12 hours ago, NicDB said:

I feel like that would be a step back for the Yankees.  As it is, the road uniforms look like a perfectly natural evolution going all the way back to the days of Ruth and Gehrig.  Removing the stripes and white elements would be change for the sake of change and as ill-advised as the Red Sox removing all the actual red from their roads a few years ago.

See, to me they look as held over from the '70s as powder blue pullovers. But it's nothing like what the Red Sox did; this is just a matter of getting rid of some superfluous white outlines and dated cuffs. The time to do this would have been when they moved from the old crumbling Yankee Stadium to the new crumbling Yankee Stadium, which shed a few architectural tweaks from the '70s renovations (the frieze and the exterior color being the big ones), but they didn't so I guess they're stuck with it now. 

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any example where I believe white outlines actually improve a gray baseball uniform. Maybe I'm forgetting one, but if I am it's because it's so rare. 

Also, if it had to be one or the other, I'd take an all-navy pinstriped road uniform for the Yankees over yet another super dull, dark jersey with gray pants. MLB Baseball uniforms should have matching pants and jerseys... Not beer league softball jerseys.

21 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any example where I believe white outlines actually improve a gray baseball uniform. Maybe I'm forgetting one, but if I am it's because it's so rare. 

It didn't improve the Yankees, Dodgers, Tigers, Mets (when they had them from 1988-94), Cleveland, Expos/Nationals, Angels, Marlins, Mariners, Orioles, or Rangers.

1250.gif6349631977.gif8fci5g0pqfn954bvfi0uwewkj.gif6799031988.gif6791991993.gifxg54smtpcah5k27agoyxzlrfi.gifd3gw6dxh6eg8gdz1cxzqcbggc.gifszg5q58xknfxdekk9qwin58jg.gif90wmsmefxpy43f3quas4wqp8f.gifgq8migeejsjjfgm6gnlpd57kl.gif6umdimucofsnskg08221liwfv.gifed25b9cokbvi5vzfzg3n7yugw.gifofg2iv4ko6tspk3frb2j3a27g.gif1358.gif

Seeing them all together, they would all be improved by removing a white outline. It'd get them all down to one or no key lines (save for that Marlins disaster) and they all use dark enough outer outlines to work. Outside of like one or two teams, one key line is the limit. If you need to incorporate a third color, use a contrasting front number, inlay in the wordmark, or limit said color to the cap logo/sleeve patch.

The only cases where it works is the Cubs (where the whole point of the uniform is to separate blue and red, even then a royal wordmark with red outlines is preferable), the White Sox (where white should be prevalent in every design), the Royals (white as a team color/Dodgers separation, but light blue or metallic gold would be preferable), and the 1968-70/1988-92 Reds/Phillies (again, white as a semi-team color). I'll even throw the 1994-99 Rockies a bone, seeing as how they should emulate the White Sox (albeit with purple replacing black).

9xcewwtm7ojxbg2xb9n9ue9se.gif9h9ly3yh0u3nht25vg1zn68eq.gifpvq7v3hb91mflrhxfyfr8ta8g.gif5644221968.gif5625831988.gif

13635a_robin_roberts.jpg98626a_lg.jpeg

I actually think the Tigers' road uniform would look worse without the white outlines. For some reason, the double outlines just work for them.

As for the Yankees, I'm not as down on their current road uniforms as many are, but I don't think they're untouchable by any means. Road pinstripes would make a lot of sense, especially since there's past precedent for it. Alternatively, I also wouldn't mind seeing them switch to their script font for the road wordmark.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If I’m someone from Podunk Iowa that saves up to make my once in a lifetime trip to Yankee Stadium and they’re wearing blue jerseys with a cursive Yankees script and wacky-ass hats, I’m pissed off, because that’s simply not the Yankees brand. 

I felt that way (not quite as much as I would if it was the NYY) when I made my first trip to Wrigley... but I had several more in my future. 

Im sick and tired of morons that begrudge the Yankees for holding true to their brand (even if they’ve caved in recent years). I wish the Phillies had resisted their short-lived red jerseys, all the Thursday light blue throwback alt.  For them, without the same brand as the Yankees, I’m fine with an occasional throwback weekend, but no need for all the alts. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I actually think the Tigers' road uniform would look worse without the white outlines. For some reason, the double outlines just work for them.

I was just gonna say, Detroit is the only one where I don't mind the white. I think it's because without it, the thin orange against grey seems to look a little red. 

I have a hard time seeing the cuffs as "outdated."  They just look like the Yankees to me.  How many times have we seen pinstripes on any other team called "outdated" knowing full well the Yankees wouldn't look like the Yankees without them?  I think the same logic applies here.

I suppose they could go to the more common tri-color piping pattern that the Brewers and a few other teams use.  But I just don't see how removing the white would improve anything.  The 1930s-style uniforms looked great for their era, but in a modern context they just look cheap and unfinished to me.

6 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Also, if it had to be one or the other, I'd take an all-navy pinstriped road uniform for the Yankees over yet another super dull, dark jersey with gray pants. MLB Baseball uniforms should have matching pants and jerseys... Not beer league softball jerseys.

The White Sox. Their road uniforms, prior to the slight tweaks that downgraded it, were some of my favourite uniforms in all of baseball. 

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I get that, but it's much cleaner without the added outline. It would make sense if the Tigers still used this cap logo, but they thankfully don't.

779.gif

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

As for the Yankees, I'm not as down on their current road uniforms as many are, but I don't think they're untouchable by any means. Road pinstripes would make a lot of sense, especially since there's past precedent for it. Alternatively, I also wouldn't mind seeing them switch to their script font for the road wordmark.

Meh, that script font looks way to "whispy" for road uniform use.

z5Y1T43.jpg

I'd leave the cursive scripts to the Mets.

7LmVXXx.jpg or 6735261987.gif

It's like an inversion of the 1988-92 Mets' road uniform problem. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The White Sox. Their road uniforms, prior to the slight tweaks that downgraded it, were some of my favourite uniforms in all of baseball. 

Yeah, I'll give you the White Sox.  Also, it's just my personal preference, but I grew up the the Dodgers using their nickname with a white keyline on the gray, and it's still what I think of as their look. Something about the blue elements having a white outline, and the (already vaguely out of place) red number not having it.... Plus Steve Garvey's bulging forearms...  just says L.A. to me.

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Meh, that script font looks way to "whispy" for road uniform use.

z5Y1T43.jpg

I'd leave the cursive scripts to the Mets.

Why and when was this created? Was it real or fake? Must have been late 1990s/Early 2000s by the Russell Logo.

da0Lbhs.png

On 7/31/2019 at 9:31 PM, mmajeski06 said:

As far as potential alternates for the Yankees go, those wouldn’t be terrible. 

would be a way better players weekend uni than this years crap 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived