The Yankees 1974 road jersey....

57 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

I could see the Yankees eventually using this as an alternate uniform one day. 

All concessionaires wear these jerseys, be they roving the bleachers or standing behind a counter.  Which is good, because it's another reason why the Yankees will never wear it as an alternate.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don’t see the outrage for a navy alternate. I mean it’s a 162 game season and Boston wears 2 alternate jerseys. Heck, beloved Norte Dame wears alternate uniforms.

KISSwall09.jpg

Because Yankees fans think that their team is more special than the rest of the league. Not altering their uniforms in any way gives them another way to look down on everyone else.

I'm a traditionalist in a lot of ways (as I've been so loud in pointing out, often very rudely) but refusing to make any kind of changes, including having a temper tantrum over putting Nike's logo on the jerseys, is a stupid hill for people to die on.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I can’t begrudge Yanks or their fans for believing that their uniform is worth preserving. I only wish that more clubs had their resolve. 

A simple alternate (I'd go so far as to remove the pinstripes and make it solid navy blue with a white NY) wouldn't do anything to sully the tradition of the home and road jerseys. In no way am I suggesting that it should be anything more than an alternate and aside from minor changes such as adding a manufacturer logo, I don't think the Yankees should change their home/road jerseys, but any time someone brings up the possibility of an alternate jersey (case in point, look at the Players' Weekend uniforms) someone throws a fit and acts like it's the apocalypse.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The original New York Highlanders wore navy road uniforms in the early 1900's, and I think a navy uniform with white pinstripes (using the same general design) isn't sacrilege.

The current road uniforms aren't really the traditional Yankee road look unless you remove the white trim around the lettering & numbers and the trim on the sleeves.

If you can move out of the original Yankee Stadium, you should be able to consider other uniform options.

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

The original New York Highlanders wore navy road uniforms in the early 1900's, and I think a navy uniform with white pinstripes (using the same general design) isn't sacrilege.

And the 1905 NY Giants wore black uniforms in the World Series. That's always my go-to argument when I hear people complain about colored jerseys on the basis of them being "non-traditional". Colored jerseys, full uniforms even, have roots going back to MLB's earliest days. The biggest reason why they weren't heavily used is because of concerns back then about, if Ty Cobb spikes you in the leg and the color in those uniforms leaks into your wound, you could get blood poisoning...or something like that. Same reason why sanitary socks and stirrups existed the way they did. Gray road uniforms? Used because road teams didn't always have great access to laundering facilities and gray is an effective color for hiding schmutz and dirt. There are so few teams in MLB that actually use gray in their color scheme, yet every team wears gray uniforms. Isolated from historical context, it seems weird. 

All of that is to say that, provided the uniform does look good of course, I give the fullest endorsement to the Yankees wearing a blue road alternate jersey. And I don't mean their BP/spring training road uniforms, either. Whether it be an inverted home uniform, or a blue jersey with a New York/Yankees script (kinda prefer the former) and appropriate trim, there would be nothing wrong about it. Probably don't wear them at Fenway or Dodger Stadium, for the sake of form, but just about anywhere else would be fair game. I don't see the problem.

Love the sport but I do feel like it could use some more color sometimes, no doubt. Don't mind white home uniforms being the standard, but road uniforms? Wear whatever jersey color makes you happy.

spacer.png

They've adjusted to the designated hitter, interleague play, divisional play, integration, astro turf, night games, etc., so I don't see how a different-colored jersey for a few games a year would be a problem.

2 minutes ago, Bobster said:

They've adjusted to the designated hitter, interleague play, divisional play, integration, astro turf, night games, etc., so I don't see how a different-colored jersey for a few games a year would be a problem.

You've just made the best argument anyone could have made.

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I just want the Yankees to occasionally wear a grey version of their home pinstripes on the road. You know how @the admiral said the Yankees transcend the idea of “team colors” in favor of the pinstripes? I think it could be something worth exploring. 

Pinstripes is something that I grapple with in general because, in a vacuum, I think pinstriped jerseys look better than non-pinstriped jerseys. But, *obviously*, you can't have 30 teams all wearing pinstriped jerseys, either. The novelty would be completely worn off (and then some). 

But yes, a road pinstriped uniform is something I would definitely endorse. For all the teams that wear pinstripes, only the Yankees tend to be nicknamed after them, so I kinda feel like why not fully embrace them and go all the way with them. 

spacer.png

Archived