21 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

Or they'll just get to work as soon as possible slapping up a new roof at the Trop and this will all be moot.

of course the Trop's gonna have a new roof by the end of the year. nothing ever happens.

53Ocz8U.png

1 hour ago, Partycrasher said:

of course the Trop's gonna have a new roof by the end of the year. nothing ever happens.

And you can expect an oddly proportioned governor to be waddling around in an ill-fitting hard hat taking credit for it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

55 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Eh just get  a big blue tarp from Home Depot and fling it on top of the roof cables. Call it a day. Im sure it will be fine.

With the A's leaving Oakland, I'm sure that the tarps over Mount Davis could be shipped to the Trop and reused.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

14 hours ago, schlim said:

Maybe baseball should just put the Rays and A's on hold for two or three seasons. Would anybody really miss them in Sacramento, Vegas or Tampa?

(Yes I know it's unfeasible and the union would never allow it, but still)

Probably less than a hundred people total would miss the Rays. In the world, not just the Tampa Bay area. That number includes the weirdos on the internet who think that two piddling world series appearances makes them a precious and irreplaceable part of the fabric of major league baseball or whatever the hell.

Real shame that this happened after the stadium deal got Marlins'd through; they would have had the perfect excuse to just go away and never come back.

• Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 4

11 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I wonder if it can be expanded past 10,000 with temporary bleachers and the like.

Does it really need to be expanded?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NFL at Galaxy Stadium is to NHL at ASU is to MLB at Disney World? Or the Tampa Yankees spot? Can't be too far off from RiverCats Stadium either.

I have vague memories from my childhood of going to an Orlando Rays game at that ballpark when I had to go to Disney World for some family thing. I remember it being the single most empty sporting event I ever went to. Quiet enough that you could hear runners on first talking to their coach. It was a nice park! But I guess most people don't prefer single-A baseball to Mickey Mouse when on vacation.

12 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Eh just get  a big blue tarp from Home Depot and fling it on top of the roof cables. Call it a day. Im sure it will be fine.

HD by me was having a huge sale on bungee cords, so they could probably get a case or two of those to secure the tarp with. It’s kind of a no brainer if you ask me. 

And if Rays ownership applies for the HD credit card, they’ll get 15% off of the order!

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Just get some cheap canvas and three middle-aged British dudes to fix it.

spacer.png

If it works on a minivan, it’ll work on a stadium!

• Like 1

I was going to say "don't give them any ideas," but with a maintenance department of all Florida Men, they're probably five steps ahead of us with a jury-rigged fix already. We've all been dunking on this stadium since it opened but, lemonade out of lemons (or juice out of oranges?), this feels like an opportunity to let this weird dump become its purest self.

Recently returned from evacuating for this storm- first of all glad my roof fared better than one for a Professional Baseball team. Second, this is another easy way to tell that Tropicana Field was built before Hurricane Andrew made the State of Florida completely redo building codes. No way that thing would meet modern building codes in this state now and we can see why clearly. 

As for what they do now: seems like insiders and people I'm in contact with who work for the team are as clueless as we are from the outside. Looks like it depends on how much damage the rain did since as was safely assumed in this thread: there is no drainage system- So that greatly complicates my first thought/desire of them just going roofless with the thing. And of course the fact that there already is a new stadium on the way and the question if it's worth it to keep this going for 3 more years once the damage is assessed.  It's a very real possibility they A's/Coyotes it at one of the minor league stadiums or Disney World. Personally I'm fine if they set up shop at one of Dunedin, Clearwater, or Tampa so they keep serving the market. Of course that means that there's now a non-zero chance of an AL East team, whether it's the Jays or Yankees, renting out a spring training stadium to a rival AL East team: which would just be a cherry on top of how weird it has been following this team over the years. So I guess we're in wait and see mode.

• Like 3

KtHjnlJ.png

3 hours ago, SavardToColton said:

Recently returned from evacuating for this storm- first of all glad my roof fared better than one for a Professional Baseball team. Second, this is another easy way to tell that Tropicana Field was built before Hurricane Andrew made the State of Florida completely redo building codes. No way that thing would meet modern building codes in this state now and we can see why clearly.

The part that gets me is that Andrew happened three years after the stadium opened and several years before it's first set of renovations. Why the hell wouldn't they upgrade the roof then, especially after other storms like Katrina and Harvey?

Eyes my youtube history, filled with building and vehicle disaster analysis videos.

I can see why a bunch of cheap people wouldn't spend to upgrade the building to code. The Top Gear convertible minivan top isn't far off from the departed roof.

• Like 1

Dissolve the major-league team, disperse the major-league players, and re-"activate" it once the new stadium is built and then treat it like a continuation of the franchise.  It sucks for the few Rays fans there are, but I'm not sure too many MLB fans in general would miss them.

Keep the minor-league system going and let Rays' mgmt continue to run it (though I'm not sure how this is possible considering players on the 40 man wouldn't have a parent club to be called up to... that would get ugly).  Then re-activate the team, have an expansion draft, and the inherit their minor-league system which hopefully has major-league ready talent ready to go.

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Dissolve the major-league team, disperse the major-league players, and re-"activate" it once the new stadium is built and then treat it like a continuation of the franchise.  It sucks for the few Rays fans there are, but I'm not sure too many MLB fans in general would miss them.

Keep the minor-league system going and let Rays' mgmt continue to run it (though I'm not sure how this is possible considering players on the 40 man wouldn't have a parent club to be called up to... that would get ugly).  Then re-activate the team, have an expansion draft, and the inherit their minor-league system which hopefully has major-league ready talent ready to go.

Stick to the gorilla bit. At least it comes off as lighthearted and humorous.

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The part that gets me is that Andrew happened three years after the stadium opened and several years before it's first set of renovations. Why the hell wouldn't they upgrade the roof then, especially after other storms like Katrina and Harvey?

Probably a sort of benign neglect: the stadium was a white elephant and the Rays didn't really want to be there anymore (until announcing that they wanted to be in the parking lot right next to it). Say the Trop gets destroyed by a hurricane, hit by a meteor, or is blown up by a Florida Man who successfully points out that there's no law that says you can't train a pet snake to use dynamite. Like a failing Greek restaurant that happens to catch fire at 3 in the morning, collect the insurance money and move on with your life.

• Like 3

Presuming that Central Florida now has more pressing needs for taxpayer dollars than building America's millionth dome that can host the Final Four, maybe just put a fraction of that money into renovating the Trop into something palatable. I mean, the thing people hated most about it was the baseball-colored roof, and thanks to an act of God, it's gone. Put a clear roof on and put in some windows in center field and you've basically got The Stadium That Kills Birds but for baseball. And they could host a Final Four!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

Presuming that Central Florida now has more pressing needs for taxpayer dollars than building America's millionth dome that can host the Final Four, maybe just put a fraction of that money into renovating the Trop into something palatable. I mean, the thing people hated most about it was the baseball-colored roof, and thanks to an act of God, it's gone. Put a clear roof on and put in some windows in center field and you've basically got The Stadium That Kills Birds but for baseball. And they could host a Final Four!

Do those clear roofs create any glare or greenhouse-effect issues?  I suppose LA hasn't had any issues, but it's also more like an outdoor stadium.  It'd be cool if they had the tech to have a clear roof that could tint or frost at the flip of a button.