Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Are you sure you’re in the right place? 😛 

Okay yeah, youre right.  IDK why i keep saying that 😂

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If that was at all the case, they’d use thick piping on the pants.   But they didn’t - they used the thin piping, which means the home uniform doesn’t even match the home uniform. 

spacer.png

So close to a good uniform, maybe even a great uniform.  But wrong on so many little details that add up to spoil that.

It reminds me of the 25th Anniversary set, which they quietly fixed a couple years later with a series of small upgrades that completely saved and elevated the uniform.  Hopefully they do the same this time. 

The easiest way to fix it, to me, would be to remove the pants piping and be done with it.  But replacing the thick piping with piping the size of the road uniform would definitely be the wrong move.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo, I think that’s the wrong approach. Jerseys with any kind of striping need to be paired with similar pants. 

The Brewers removed their pants stripes a couple years ago and wore plain pants with their piping jerseys.  It looked terrible.

The thin piping looks great everywhere they use it, they should just use it a little more.  Like on the home jerseys. 

I don't think the different sized piping will be such an issue once we see it on the field and in play.  In a way, the mismatch actually adds to the "vintage" feel. It works in the same way a lot of uniforms before the 1990s or so worked in spite of having "inconsistent" striping (the Super Bowl I-II Packers come to mind).

Yea, I think it’s worth mentioning that the last Brewers set had 3 different color schemes, along with differing logos for each set, with some (namely, the BiG) overlapping between schemes.

Although the new set isn’t perfectly consistent, it’s hard to deny that it’s at least an enormous improvement. 

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

it’s hard to deny that it’s at least an enormous improvement. 

This is so very true, and it’s also very frustrating.  I think so many people are overjoyed that the BiG is back, and that the last set is gone, that they’re willing to overlook all the many flaws.  Which, again, I totally understand.

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This is so very true, and it’s also very frustrating.  I think so many people are overjoyed that the BiG is back, and that the last set is gone, that they’re willing to overlook all the many flaws.  Which, again, I totally understand.

If only you had a platform where you could advocate for certain directions to design their uniforms and orient their brand in the name of Brewers history.... 😛

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Ooo, I think that’s the wrong approach. Jerseys with any kind of striping need to be paired with similar pants. 

The Brewers removed their pants stripes a couple years ago and wore plain pants with their piping jerseys.  It looked terrible.

The thin piping looks great everywhere they use it, they should just use it a little more.  Like on the home jerseys. 

No.

I really, truly, honestly, dont think the piping is inconsistent.  Its the same pattern, and each color holds the same weight, its just the piping on the jersey is bigger than on the pants.  Basketball does this all the time yet nobody blinks an eye there...

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

24 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Basketball does this all the time yet nobody blinks an eye there...

And in basketball, same color jerseys-shorts  are pretty much the only uniform combinations that look good, while in football, same color jerseys-pants is pretty tough to pull off. Different sports have different aesthetics that are kinda hard to compare to each other

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Are you sure you’re in the right place? 😛 

If that was at all the case, they’d use thick piping on the pants.   But they didn’t - they used the thin piping, which means the home uniform doesn’t even match the home uniform. 

spacer.png

So close to a good uniform, maybe even a great uniform.  But wrong on so many little details that add up to spoil that.

It reminds me of the 25th Anniversary set, which they quietly fixed a couple years later with a series of small upgrades that completely saved and elevated the uniform.  Hopefully they do the same this time. 

I don't think this is all that different from other sports that have trim with the same design but differing weights across the same uniform..

For example:

spacer.png

Clemson's helmet and pants

spacer.png

Chicago's neck/waistband/leg trim is 3 different weights..

So, while my personal opinion is that they should've used the thicker trim on the cream pants as well (I just think the thicker trim looks better on the cream than the thinner trim), I don't see any issue with them not being the same weight.. honestly, it would make more sense to me if teams would occasionally have slightly thicker trim on their pants than their jerseys, since it runs across so much more length uninterrupted and doesn't have anything else competing with it for attention, like on the jerseys, the pants could stand for a slightly bolder design element (i.e. slightly thicker trim/piping than the jerseys).. 

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

And in basketball, same color jerseys-shorts  are pretty much the only uniform combinations that look good, while in football, same color jerseys-pants is pretty tough to pull off. Different sports have different aesthetics that are kinda hard to compare to each other

Clemson providing more examples - this time more sport-specific:
(And they've been on all sides of this little situation)
Thick jersey / thin pants trim
spacer.png

Thin jersey / thick pants trim

spacer.png
And both the same (thick) trim

spacer.png

True, that’s one example where trying to match across uniforms has had negative results (partly because they don’t actually match very well). 

But different sports have different aesthetics. What looks good or bad in football or basketball has nothing to do with what looks good on a baseball diamond. The Wizards got raked over the coals for pairing a gold shirt with black pants, while the Saints’ best look is the same thing swapped. Football players wouldn’t look good in cream pants and jersey, while it just looks right on a baseball diamond.

Not sure any comparison between sports aesthetics is valid. Basketball jerseys don’t have sleeves, but I would criticize the ever living f out of a team that rolled out a sleeveless hockey jersey. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, that’s one example where trying to match across uniforms has had negative results (partly because they don’t actually match very well). 

But different sports have different aesthetics. What looks good or bad in football or basketball has nothing to do with what looks good on a baseball diamond. The Wizards got raked over the coals for pairing a gold shirt with black pants, while the Saints’ best look is the same thing swapped. Football players wouldn’t look good in cream pants and jersey, while it just looks right on a baseball diamond.

To be fair, Saints also got raked over the coals for pairing a gold shirt with black pants, so that could be an issue with that combination in general, rather than a sport-by-sport thing.. 

Also, Oregon State's football team looks pretty good in cream pants and jersey..

While I do agree that the trim on the Brewers cream pants should be of the same weight/thickness as the jersey trim (the thicker of the two), I don't think there's really any issue with what they've done.. it's much less egregious than previous styles that had oversized sleeve trim with normal pants piping/trim (such as Eddie Murray's Orioles, along with others like periods from the Twins and Rangers history).. there are even examples of teams having trim in one place, with a completely different style of trim on the same uniform - or even the same garment (looking at you, Giants), or the Yankees who have sleeve trim but bare pants.. IMO, this fits comfortably within the established aesthetic framework of good-looking baseball uniforms.. but that's just my twin Lincolns

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Football players wouldn’t look good in cream pants and jersey, while it just looks right on a baseball diamond.

Hey now! While I absolutely support the point you’re making, I can’t agree with this. Football players can absolutely look good in cream pants and jerseys 😛

M1ICMIW.jpg

4 hours ago, jn8 said:

Hey now! While I absolutely support the point you’re making, I can’t agree with this. Football players can absolutely look good in cream pants and jerseys 😛

M1ICMIW.jpg

17 hours ago, jn8 said:

I completely support you shooting down your own prior point lol 😉.. especially to agree with the counterpoint

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I completely support you shooting down your own prior point lol 😉.. especially to agree with the counterpoint

Well that’s not quite the truth. 

I was agreeing with this larger point, which is similar to my original point:

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But different sports have different aesthetics. What looks good or bad in football or basketball has nothing to do with what looks good on a baseball diamond. The Wizards got raked over the coals for pairing a gold shirt with black pants, while the Saints’ best look is the same thing swapped.

While disagreeing with this specific example:

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Football players wouldn’t look good in cream pants and jersey, while it just looks right on a baseball diamond.

I can agree with the overall point, while still disagreeing with certain aspects of it. In this case, I agreed with the overall point (designs shouldn’t be compared to the aesthetics of other sports) while disagreeing with the example used (cream uniforms in football). 

3 minutes ago, jn8 said:

Well that’s not quite the truth. 

I was agreeing with this larger point, which is similar to my original point:

While disagreeing with this specific example:

I can agree with the overall point, while still disagreeing with certain aspects of it. In this case, I agreed with the overall point (designs shouldn’t be compared to the aesthetics of other sports) while disagreeing with the example used (cream uniforms in football). 

Oh, don't be coy.. 😊

On 11/23/2019 at 10:28 PM, NicDB said:

This has been my argument for navy all along. Apart from 1970-1993, Milwaukee teams have worn navy going back to the 19th century.

That’s not actually true - the old Brewers wore royal blue from the late 1930s through the late 40s.  Including their best period, when they won the American Association pennant three times in a row, 1943-45.  Just sayin’. 😛 

They also wore both burgundy and black & gold (though not all at once) in the 1900s, but that’s probably not worth referencing in today’s uniforms. 😁   

Archived