Possible New New York Red Bulls logo?

Dilbert

On 11/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, njdevs7 said:

Lol. Yea man. Branding matters but there are way more important things. The Red Bulls have a beautiful stadium/facilities, won 3 Supporters Shields in 6 years, and have arguably the best academy in the country. 

NYCFC literally had to move their playoff game to Citi Field because they got kicked out of their own stadium. (Some fans couldn't even see the goal  at Citi field setup). They get kicked off YES network in favor of Yankees post game shows. Oh, and if you want to talk about branding....every time I've been to Yankee Stadium for a soccer game, I barely see any NYCFC stuff. I see huge photos of A-Rod and Jeter on the concourse though. 

It's not called "NYCFC Stadium' it's YANKEE STADIUM. It's not "NYCFC Entertainment and Sports" it's Yankees Entertainment and Sports. It's not their own stadium, and quite frankly, I, as well as most fans, want them gone. It's an embarrassment seeing soccer lines on my otherwise pristine baseball field.

Anubis.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

It's not called "NYCFC Stadium' it's YANKEE STADIUM. It's not "NYCFC Entertainment and Sports" it's Yankees Entertainment and Sports. It's not their own stadium, and quite frankly, I, as well as most fans, want them gone.

[Citation Needed]

3 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

It's an embarrassment seeing soccer lines on my otherwise pristine baseball field.

If you actually went to Yankee Stadium, for either a baseball game or a soccer match, you would know that isn't an actual thing.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

[Citation Needed]

If you actually went to Yankee Stadium, for either a baseball game or a soccer match, you would know that isn't an actual thing.

I went to dozens of games last year - including the playoffs - and they were visible for all of them, as well as turf wear around midfield and the nets. And everyone I've gone with has complained about it and called it a joke. Giants Stadium sits empty all summer and is the right shape - go there if you want to play soccer.

Anubis.png

1 hour ago, Anubis2051 said:

I went to dozens of games last year - including the playoffs - and they were visible for all of them, as well as turf wear around midfield and the nets. And everyone I've gone with has complained about it and called it a joke. Giants Stadium sits empty all summer and is the right shape - go there if you want to play soccer.

Everyone who's willing to go to Jersey for a soccer match would rather go to Red Bull Arena.

What about Columbia or Fordham? Might either be willing to cough up the space their football teams currently play on for the sake of the Yankees building a modern facility which they could also use?

13 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

You are thinking of this like a fan. The Yankees operate as a business. Just like Red Bull and the New York Red Bulls, the Yankees are operating the club as a business and an investment. Why would they pay to have the team play elsewhere? They have an interest in NYCFC and a facility for them to play in. Ideal facility? No. One they control? Yes. It makes 0 business sense to pay for their team to play elsewhere when they don’t have to.

11 hours ago, NicDB said:

Everyone who's willing to go to Jersey for a soccer match would rather go to Red Bull Arena.

What about Columbia or Fordham? Might either be willing to cough up the space their football teams currently play on for the sake of the Yankees building a modern facility which they could also use?

I won’t pretend to know all the whys and hows but there tends to be a lot of politics involved in the idea of university partnerships, particularly with big east coast private schools. Would be a nice solution for the Revs; we can dream of a renovated Harvard Stadium as the most historic ground in MLS but it’ll never happen, Harvard has no incentive to deal with the Krafts.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:
13 hours ago, NicDB said:

I won’t pretend to know all the whys and hows but there tends to be a lot of politics involved in the idea of university partnerships, particularly with big east coast private schools.

Are you saying that there is something different about the Northeast as opposed to the rest of the country?

Hofstra's stadium is home to the MLL's New York Lizards, and also hosted the latter-day iteration of the Cosmos as well as the Long Island Rough Riders.

As far as universities in New York City, Columbia's stadium was the site of a Red Bulls home game in the U.S. Open Cup, just as the St. John's stadium was the site of an NYCFC home game in that competition; and the newly-announced Queensboro FC of the USL will play at York College. Also, the baseball stadium at St. John's was for one season the home of the New York-Penn League's Queens Kings, a Blue Jays affiliate, after the team moved from St. Catharines, Ontario, before it became a Mets affiliate under the name Brooklyn Cyclones.

Staying with baseball, Montclair State University is the site of Yogi Berra Stadium, the home of the New Jersey Jackals of the independent Can-Am League (which has just merged with the Frontier League). 

So it clearly is possible for universities to have pro teams play in their stadiums even in New York City and the immediate area.

In the broader Northeast, let us note that the football Giants played two full seasons at the Yale Bowl.

What are the challenges that you assert are unique to the Northeast region?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

29 minutes ago, Digby said:

We're talking about building a full-time permanent stadium for a MLS team, where the needs are pretty obviously different than one-off Open Cup games nor lower independent leagues nor 50-years-ago NFL.

Columbia's Baker Field (as opposed to the smaller soccer-specific stadium on the campus at which the Red Bulls hosted a U.S. Open Cup match) seats nearly 20,000, which is not far from the 25,000 capacity of Red Bull Arena.

That university could conceivably agree to rent that stadium to NYCFC, and also to upgrade its capacity to 25,000, if it felt that this was worthwhile. It hasn't done so, which indicates either that the parties could not agree upon a rental fee and the assumption of costs, or else that NYCFC have not pursued the matter.

But, what I do not understand is the assertion that this type of negotiation is somehow different in New York City and the Northeast as opposed to other places around the country.

Can’t speak for the northeast as a whole, but New York City is indeed its own animal, where development is concerned.  No other city has its particular combination of rapid growth, ravenous demand, shrinking availability, and public transit access requirements.

That’s why MLS decided it couldn’t wait for a stadium deal before putting a club in the city.  Takes a while for the stars to align. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Can’t speak for the northeast as a whole, but New York City is indeed its own animal, where development is concerned.  No other city has its particular combination of rapid growth, ravenous demand, shrinking availability, and public transit access requirements.

Right, but that difficulty of building a stadium within New York City would presumably function as an incentive to pursue agreements with universities, where stadiums already exist.

Anyway, Sunnyside Yards would be the perfect spot for a new stadium (and it's even a great name). The area is rich in public transit access; and there are plenty of nearby pubs and restaurants into which a stadium would inject loads of new business. One could easily imagine a Seattle- or Vancouver-style "March to the Match" taking place from Long Island City and Astoria to the stadium.

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right, but that difficulty of building a stadium within New York City would presumably function as an incentive to pursue agreements with universities, where stadiums already exist.

Except that MLS requires its teams to control their own stadium.   The days of renting are over. As they really should be.  

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, Sunnyside Yards would be the perfect spot for a new stadium (and it's even a great name). The area is rich in public transit access; and there are plenty of nearby pubs and restaurants into which a stadium would inject loads of new business. One could easily imagine a Seattle- or Vancouver- style "March to the Match" taking place from Long Island City and Astoria to the stadium.

Couldn’t agree more.  I’d love to see them cover the Yards (as they did on the West Side) and build up.  That’d be just about perfect.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I won’t pretend to know all the whys and hows but there tends to be a lot of politics involved in the idea of university partnerships, particularly with big east coast private schools. Would be a nice solution for the Revs; we can dream of a renovated Harvard Stadium as the most historic ground in MLS but it’ll never happen, Harvard has no incentive to deal with the Krafts.

Harvard wouldn't be my first choice for the Revs.  That'd be Nickerson Field at Boston U, which is already used primarily for soccer and is on the site of the old Braves Field.

Nickerson Field would be a nice location but I don't see how that plot of land is large enough for a modern MLS stadium, unless you wipe out a substantial portion of that block by knocking down a bunch of BU dorms or the businesses that front onto Comm Ave (and I'd rather not lose the Paradise, thanks). Both seem like non-starters to me.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Columbia's Baker Field (as opposed to the smaller soccer-specific stadium on the campus at which the Red Bulls hosted a U.S. Open Cup match) seats nearly 20,000, which is not far from the 25,000 capacity of Red Bull Arena.

Baker Field is on the complex with Robert K. Kraft field, maybe selling/renting to a rival has something to do with it. 

I really do wish they could work it out...that would be a great spot for them.

Archived