Least Favorite old school uniforms?

I feel most people really like the older uniform sets but i’m curious which older sets you dislike. Now to avoid the low hanging fruit like the Steelers bees or the Broncos brown and yellow I’m limiting it from the 1966 merger to the 90s. By far my least favorite has to be the 90s patriots uniforms with the giant logos on the shoulders. I feel it could’ve worked but the execution was atrocious. The current designs are OK but way better than these disasters spacer.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the 1990s royal blue Patriots look better than the current one.

A least favourite old school uniform for me?  Early 1960s Ottawa Rough Riders.  So busy.  Square design in pant striping.  Shoulder yokes mixed with UCLA stripe design.  Also piping between the digits on the shoulders. 

spacer.png      spacer.png

This uniform worn with lightning bolt design on the helmet, which was strange because it really did not mesh with the team nickname/identity.

http://www.packershistory.net/1962PACKERS-YEAR-CFL.html

I'm not sure that Patriots set can be considered "old school".  At the time, it was wild and crazy.

One of mine is the old Phoenix cardinals, with the unnecessarily-long sleeves that had both the logo and the state flag on them.  It looks like they took a normal uniform with a logo on the sleeve, then had a seamstress add material just to get the flag on there.  It's partially a carryover from their last St. Louis look, but this was eggregious.

hqdefault.jpg   61YX9ev9QhL._AC_SY445_.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the Phoenix Cardinals roads as an overly busy counterbalance to the overly spartan homes. They should go back to that set but with the cardinal head inside the stripes and black NOBs, which is what I think they did in St. Louis. 

The old Red Sox greys with no red on them were pretty awful. I hate the NY Giants' all-red road uniforms. There's a theme here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 4:53 PM, Reyes47 said:

By far my least favorite has to be the 90s patriots uniforms with the giant logos on the shoulders. I spacer.png

The Patriots uniform is not the worst uniform in this picture

The Quebec Nordiques uniforms right before they moved to Colorado. The way the fleur di lis are used on the hem sucks. They should've put them inside stripes instead. In addition to that, the sleeves are incredibly barren with just the small wrist stripes and solid white numbers isn't a great look. Plus, the only red on the entire uniform is in the logo, nowhere else. Finally, the logo, don't even get me started on this trash heap. It looks like an abstract elephant balancing a ball on its trunk. I seriously will never understand the love for this logo. 

Joe Sakic: Middle years highlight career – The Denver Post

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, GriffinM6 said:

Finally, the logo, don't even get me started on this trash heap. It looks like an abstract elephant balancing a ball on its trunk. I seriously will never understand the love for this logo. 

You just said it: it looks like an abstract elephant balancing a ball on its trunk!

Everything about the Nordiques was fantastic. Lovely shade of blue, simple but clearly French-Canadian uniforms, a weird logo that couldn't have come out of America or English Canada.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/25/2020 at 3:53 PM, Reyes47 said:

I feel most people really like the older uniform sets but i’m curious which older sets you dislike. Now to avoid the low hanging fruit like the Steelers bees or the Broncos brown and yellow I’m limiting it from the 1966 merger to the 90s. By far my least favorite has to be the 90s patriots uniforms with the giant logos on the shoulders. I feel it could’ve worked but the execution was atrocious. The current designs are OK but way better than these disasters spacer.png

That's better than New England's current uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

Everything about that uniform was bad...the navy blue, the number font, and drop shadow.

are you talking about the 2000s dolphins uniforms? 

First off there was no Navy blue. Secondly drop shadows are classic

Regardless can we get back on track to the topic at hand?

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

They also used Machine for the letters and numbers, which always looks cheap and rec-league to me for some reason. 

I get what you're saying, but by today's standards, it actually seems professional.  They were too thick though, and with the shadow, were kinda muddied.  They tried to fix it by reducing the shadow, but I would have preferred going to a thinner font and keeping the shadow as is.  I actually really liked that Dolphins uniform, even if it was a departure from their classic two-color-only look.

20 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

The Quebec Nordiques uniforms right before they moved to Colorado. The way the fleur di lis are used on the hem sucks. They should've put them inside stripes instead. In addition to that, the sleeves are incredibly barren with just the small wrist stripes and solid white numbers isn't a great look. Plus, the only red on the entire uniform is in the logo, nowhere else. Finally, the logo, don't even get me started on this trash heap. It looks like an abstract elephant balancing a ball on its trunk. I seriously will never understand the love for this logo. 

Joe Sakic: Middle years highlight career – The Denver Post

I love that logo, even if it is silly and doesn't make a ton of sense.  I've been to Quebec - people don't live in igloos (though as a kid I had no idea that's what it was).  I just love that style in general.  I don't know what it's called, but the abstract/clunky/block-ish type logos just do it for me.  My favorite logos as a kid were hockey logos, mostly because the league expanded so much in the 60s and 70s (and into the early 80s) and we got logos like the Flyers, Devils, Nordiques, Whalers, Flames, and North Stars.  Simple bold logos that were easy for a kid to draw, looked good at any size and on any medium, and weren't overly-aggressive animals in agressive stances.

15 hours ago, JayMac said:

Everything about that uniform was bad...the navy blue, the number font, and drop shadow.

Disagree.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:53 PM, Reyes47 said:

I think that uniform would work really well today if they moved the numbers to the shoulder and dropped Elvis altogether.  Today's sleeves wouldn't allow for it, unless they squoze it in there like they do now.  I'd rather it be left off, and just go with the one that's under the collar, or move it to the chest like the Steelers do.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I love that logo, even if it is silly and doesn't make a ton of sense.  I've been to Quebec - people don't live in igloos (though as a kid I had no idea that's what it was).  I just love that style in general.  I don't know what it's called, but the abstract/clunky/block-ish type logos just do it for me.  My favorite logos as a kid were hockey logos, mostly because the league expanded so much in the 60s and 70s (and into the early 80s) and we got logos like the Flyers, Devils, Nordiques, Whalers, Flames, and North Stars.  Simple bold logos that were easy for a kid to draw, looked good at any size and on any medium, and weren't overly-aggressive animals in agressive stances.

I don’t get the issue with the Nordiques logo. It’s clearly an igloo with a hockey stick on it. Fits the Northerns style hence the name Nordiques  

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I think that uniform would work really well today if they moved the numbers to the shoulder and dropped Elvis altogether.  Today's sleeves wouldn't allow for it, unless they squoze it in there like they do now.  I'd rather it be left off, and just go with the one that's under the collar, or move it to the chest like the Steelers do.

I personally still don’t get why people like these uniforms. I personally think they’re just too gaudy especially with the light blue stripes on the front which is hard to see in the photo

Personally I think the color rush should be the basis for the redesign (which is going to happen now that brady is gone). Just make the helmet and pants white and you got a pretty solid look. I don’t mind the Patriots logo just maybe change the color of the face from gray to white. Something like this would be really cool

spacer.png

18 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

are you talking about the 2000s dolphins uniforms? 

First off there was no Navy blue. Secondly drop shadows are classic

Regardless can we get back on track to the topic at hand?

All the drop shadows were navy as well as the outer most sleeve stripes on the home and alt

spacer.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived