XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

10 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:

The NY UFL team played at Hofstra University, so they could use that

The UFL was fine with lesser facilities. I don't see the XFL/USFL being fine with that. That's a 12,000 seat stadium for a school that no longer has football. So then you're paying to put in new turf and a stadium that's too small. I don't think it's set up well for TV either. At least not at the level needed for pro football broadcasts. 

21 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

The travel logistics must drive the leaders of these leagues nuts.  Seattle makes sense from an attendance standpoint, but has to be an expensive one to keep. 

How did the New Jersey Generals draw?  Do they have a good venue to play in?  I could see them wanting another Northeast team, especially one in the New York market.  Perhaps Seattle gets dropped for New York, which is easier on travel to DC, Detroit, and Orlando.

American flies direct to Seattle. If the XFL keeps teams training all year in one spot, there's no extra costs associated with flying them out to Seattle and back. From Birmingham it's one stop. Even from San Antonio and Orlando, there are direct flights. We need to stop treating Seattle like they're flying to Hawaii or Tokyo. The reason that Arlington made sense for teams to set up camp was the ability to control costs for travel. 

Here's the problem with the Generals and attendance. The USFL refused to release the numbers of fans for any of their games this year. Unless someone is taking the time to scroll through the game film of each game, the numbers aren't known. I do know that some folks from my hometown made the trip up to catch a couple games, but not if they were Generals "home games or Maulers "home" games, or another team hosting them at their supposed "home" stadium. That was another thing that was rather strange this year. The Generals and Stars each played "home" games at two different stadiums. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, kmccarthy27 said:
52 minutes ago, McCall said:

Where are they gonna play? The Guardians didn't do well at MetLife and not sure if they can get Red Bull Arena. So until NYCFC's stadium is completed (and assuming they'd get permission to use it), where would a NY area team play? The Generals identity doesn't solve that problem.

The NY UFL team played at Hofstra University, so they could use that

38 minutes ago, McCall said:

That stadium only seats about 12k.

That sort of seating capacity is a good thing for this league (even if siting a team called "New Jersey" out on Long Island is not).

The league should be talking to other colleges in New Jersey and  New York City about rentals.  In New Jersey, the stadiums of Rutgers (47,000) and Princeton (27,000) are too big; but Yogi Berra Stadium at Montclair State University, holds 5000.  I'm sure that there are plenty of other colleges in New Jersey that I don't even know about that have similar-sized stadiums.

In the City, Columbia's stadium holds 17,000, which is probably too much.  Thinking more realistically, the Fordham football stadium seats about 7000.  Getting more realistic still, Wagner College's stadium holds 3000 and  the stadium on the campus of St. John's University holds about 2000.

Apart from colleges, the recently-refurbished Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, New Jersey seats 10,000 for football. Let us also note that the Brooklyn Bolts of the FXFL played at the Brooklyn Cyclones' baseball stadium, which seats 7000. 

• Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That sort of seating capacity is a good thing for this league (even if siting a team called "New Jersey" out on Long Island is not).

The league should be talking to other colleges in New Jersey and  New York City about rentals.  In New Jersey, the stadiums of Rutgers (47,000) and Princeton (27,000) are too big; but Yogi Berra Stadium at Montclair State University, holds 5000.  I'm sure that there are plenty of other colleges in New Jersey that I don't even know about that have similar-sized stadiums.

In the City, Columbia's stadium holds 17,000, which is probably too much.  Thinking more realistically, the Fordham football stadium seats about 7000.  Getting more realistic still, Wagner College's stadium holds 3000 and  the stadium on the campus of St. John's University holds about 2000.

Apart from colleges, the recently-refurbished Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, New Jersey seats 10,000 for football. Let us also note that the Brooklyn Bolts of the FXFL played at the Brooklyn Cyclones' baseball stadium, which seats 7000. 

They want stadiums in the 20k range. And probably don't want to have to use baseball stadiums again. The XFL-USFL are essentially trying to be a major league of Spring Football, not one of these regional leagues or UFL.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Brooklyn Bolts' Opener a Hit Amid Coney Island's Attractions - WSJ

I would expect that the spring leagues will want stadiums that are similar in size to most MLS stadiums. So anything under 20,000 isn't going to work. After the fiasco that was Cashman Field, I'd expect that they would avoid baseball stadiums unless they are turf, and expandable to at least 18,000. I know the primary tenant is a soccer team now, but some of the issues with Cashman were that it was still configured in a way that it can be quickly swapped into a baseball stadium. 

XFL Return To Las Vegas: XFL's Newest Version Makes Its Vegas Debut  Saturday As Vipers Lose Home-Opener At Cashman In Downtown - LVSportsBiz

That torn up bit of grass in the middle of the field was an eyesore and injury risk as well, but for most people, it was the idea that that backdrop to the right gave the impression of a stadium that was still being built around the field. 

In regards to New York/New Jersey, Hofstra would require a lot of repainting that the league, and most importantly the school, won't want to do. 

James M. Shuart Stadium - Facilities - Hofstra University Athletics

ROBERT K. KRAFT FIELD AT LAWRENCE A. WIEN STADIUM - Facilities - Columbia  University Athletics

Columbia could be workable as a one year deal, but I think Red Bull or new NYCFC stadium would be the better option. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Seems to me like it would be Red Bull or bust, when it comes to the Generals.  Thank you guys for sharing all that research.  

I flubbed in a prior post when I asked about what the Generals drew; doesn’t matter if they played in Canton.  I meant the Guardians in 2020 when they played at MetLife, as that would be the most accurate indicator of whether NY/NJ can support 15-25k tickets per game.

59 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Seems to me like it would be Red Bull or bust, when it comes to the Generals.  Thank you guys for sharing all that research.  

I flubbed in a prior post when I asked about what the Generals drew; doesn’t matter if they played in Canton.  I meant the Guardians in 2020 when they played at MetLife, as that would be the most accurate indicator of whether NY/NJ can support 15-25k tickets per game.

They played 2 home games: week 1 was 17,634 and Week 4 was 12,116.

• Like 1

Towards the end of this article https://usflnewsroom.com/news/details-emerging-regarding-a-potential-usfl-xfl-merger/

Additionally, reports have surfaced that FOX/USFL were in close talks to a couple of facilities in the New Orleans area (i.e. The Shrine, Tulane). Where those conversations currently sit amongst the merger discussions is unknown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Towards the end of this article https://usflnewsroom.com/news/details-emerging-regarding-a-potential-usfl-xfl-merger/

Additionally, reports have surfaced that FOX/USFL were in close talks to a couple of facilities in the New Orleans area (i.e. The Shrine, Tulane). Where those conversations currently sit amongst the merger discussions is unknown.

Yulman would be fine, if Tulane will have them and the rich next door NIMBYs on Audubon Place aren't able to stop it. Though I don't think it's in writing, one of the deals was that Yulman wouldn't be used too much, but already it has been hosting high school games including state championship games.

The Shrine on Airline ( Zephyr Field) is another story.  Holds 10,000 for baseball,  and has a not-good set-up for  football (and rugby). It HAS held quite a few high school football games, and there are preliminary plans being floated by Jefferson Parish to convert  it to a more rectangular seating set-up for football, rugby, and soccer.

It is what it is.

15 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Yulman would be fine, if Tulane will have them and the rich next door NIMBYs on Audubon Place aren't able to stop it. Though I don't think it's in writing, one of the deals was that Yulman wouldn't be used too much, but already it has been hosting high school games including state championship games.

The Shrine on Airline ( Zephyr Field) is another story.  Holds 10,000 for baseball,  and has a not-good set-up for  football (and rugby). It HAS held quite a few high school football games, and there are preliminary plans being floated by Jefferson Parish to convert  it to a more rectangular seating set-up for football, rugby, and soccer.

Good news: Shrine on Airline's field is in much better shape than Cashman's: 

https://images.app.goo.gl/4pEDfdHrB525Rov7A

Bad News, its still a baseball stadium with a rugby/football field in it: 

https://images.app.goo.gl/5DGpjg2Pcbcz2jva6

But it looks like the city plans on converting it to a football/soccer/rugby configuration by 2025 that based on the renderings, looks like it would be the perfect sized venue for a UXFL team: 

https://www.nola.com/news/business/the-shrine-on-airline-could-get-a-major-facelift-in-metairie-here-is-the-latest/article_50ec24ec-d22d-11ec-95eb-4bae2e8bc112.html

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, Cujo said:

After trimming the fat, gonna assume the UXFL might look something like this:

Birmingham Stallions

Dallas Renegades

DC Defenders

Houston Gamblers

Memphis Showboats

Michigan Panthers

Orlando Guardians

San Antonio Brahamas

Seattle Sea Dragons

St Louis Battlehawks

Throw in NOLA and Ohio and I think this will be how it turns out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

Good news: Shrine on Airline's field is in much better shape than Cashman's: 

https://images.app.goo.gl/4pEDfdHrB525Rov7A

Bad News, its still a baseball stadium with a rugby/football field in it: 

https://images.app.goo.gl/5DGpjg2Pcbcz2jva6

But it looks like the city plans on converting it to a football/soccer/rugby configuration by 2025 that based on the renderings, looks like it would be the perfect sized venue for a UXFL team: 

https://www.nola.com/news/business/the-shrine-on-airline-could-get-a-major-facelift-in-metairie-here-is-the-latest/article_50ec24ec-d22d-11ec-95eb-4bae2e8bc112.html

I think Yulman should be the goal. If they get it, continue to play there successfully and, when Shrine is completed, decide it fits their attendance figures better, THEN move. Basically like in St. Louis. The original intention was for them to play at The Dome until the soccer stadium (now known as CITYPark) was completed. Then move there like some of the other teams were playing in soccer-specific stadiums since it fit their average attendance projections better. But the actual numbers greatly outperformed expectations to the point where it clearly made more sense to stay at The Dome.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cruhawk7975 said:

Thanks for the share, but one point-- it's not "the city", it's Jefferson Parish ( county equivalent) in the suburbs outside of New Orleans, in conjunction with the State of Louisiana.   City of New Orleans government is too incompetent to do anything. 

19 minutes ago, McCall said:

I think Yulman should be the goal. If they get it, continue to play there successfully and, when Shrine is completed, decide it fits their attendance figures better, THEN move. Basically like in St. Louis. The original intention was for them to play at The Dome until the soccer stadium (now known as CITYPark) was completed. Then move there like some of the other teams were playing in soccer-specific stadiums since it fit their average attendance projections better. But the actual numbers greatly outperformed expectations to the point where it clearly made more sense to stay at The Dome.

That would work well, and if Yulman is put out to be a temporary XUSFL measure, it might placate the adjacent rich NIMBYs. 

Oh, and for those who may not want to take the time to click on Cruhawk's links, here are the renderings of the converted Shrine on Airline/Zephyr field:
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

627e6c2ed3a40.image.jpg

Note that in some of these renderings SOCCER field markings and nets are shown.  This could also wind up being the home of the new USL team that  the area is scheduled to get in the coming years.   As I described in this post,  it is  IMHO a much better location than an "in-town" location. 

It is what it is.

1 minute ago, Fowler said:

Remove the baseball grandstand and you have a nice little soccer park. 

The grandstand works in Portland, no reason to get rid of it here. But these are the future. Currently, is it really any better than Cashman? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The grandstand works in Portland, no reason to get rid of it here. But these are the future. Currently, is it really any better than Cashman? 

From the pictures I looked at, probably only a little. One thing I couldn't find is what the expected capacity would be after renovations. I'm guessing if it's 10k now, it would be at least somewhat more than that. I think it would need to be a minimum of 15k for the league to even consider it for a full-time stadium. And that's being a little generous.

• Like 1