XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

On 9/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Portland reportedly is out of the running. Nashville and Tempe are the two in contention if the XFL can't keep the team in Vegas. 

Tempe would be interesting because it would end any plans the USFL might have to bring the Arizona Outlaws back, assuming the USFL ever decides to leave their hub system.  

34 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Tempe would be interesting because it would end any plans the USFL might have to bring the Arizona Outlaws back, assuming the USFL ever decides to leave their hub system.  

I can't see the USFL staying in hubs past 2024. Houston becomes a bit larger issue if the Roughnecks stay at Rice past 2024/2025.  That's one more stadium the USFL  won't have access to.  Blocking off the other leagues from a city isn't the best way to go about picking locations either.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I can't see the USFL staying in hubs past 2024. Houston becomes a bit larger issue if the Roughnecks stay at Rice past 2024/2025.  That's one more stadium the USFL  won't have access to.  Blocking off the other leagues from a city isn't the best way to go about picking locations either.

I am going with 5 cities for the USFL in 2023: the 4 they already have and New Orleans.  If they go to their cities, Pittsburgh's only choice is Acrisure.  Philly has a few: Subaru, Franklin Field and the Linc.  New Jersey has Rutgers, MetLife, Red Bull and (longshot) Princeton.  The Gamblers are not going to Houston.  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:21 PM, GDAWG said:

Philly has a few: Subaru, Franklin Field and the Linc. 

The only chance of success is if they could get Franklin Field, because then you'd grab casually-interested fans (like me) from the city, and it'd at least be in a vibrant area and maybe some local bars could run XFL specials (idk... dollar off a beer if you show your ticket?  Just spitballing.)

The Linc is a wasteland for anything that doesn't have lots of tailgating associated with it.  I can see it from the roof of my house and I'd never go down there for a game, because that's literally all there is.  At least with Franklin Field, if you get bored, you're in the heart of University City.

Union park is a bad idea.  At least the Union / soccer have a die-hard fanbase.  No way anyone from the City would drive to an XFL game, and I doubt many would take any of the mass-transit options just for XFL.  And again - that's your whole day.  There's no easy bail-out solution.

Penn has a lot of spring activities at Franklin Field, so I'm not sure if it would work (I haven't checked the schedules to see how much overlap there is) - but IMO that's the only chance of XFL succeeding in Phila.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Between Fox and The Rock, we are about to definitely find out who has been the biggest sucker over these past couple of years. And I genuinely can't predict an answer!

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

35 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Axios reports today that XFL and USFL are in advanced merger talks.  An announcement could come as early as this week. Story here

This would probably help decide the Vegas situation for 2024 and beyond. Maybe this gets them moved into Allegiant Stadium, or both leagues decided together where to place the team. I'd love to see which rules between the two remain, I actually like the XFL's kickoff better, but I like the idea of using the USFL 1 point try instead of the XFL version. If this merger also gets them the support of the NFL, in terms of allowing practice squad players and third stringers to play, as well as coaches and referees they can see a major improvement in viewership as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, Sodboy13 said:

Between Fox and The Rock, we are about to definitely find out who has been the biggest sucker over these past couple of years. And I genuinely can't predict an answer!

The Rock has lost $75 million, reportedly. Fox has to have lost much, much more just this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

44 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

A couple other notable details from the Axios story:

• The plan is to have this merged league in place for the 2024 season. So they're not messing around.
  • The story cites Fox executives as saying the USFL is profitable while the XFL lost $60M. I find that odd. 

They said that throughout the year, even when games weren't drawing fans. I don't believe that they were profitable no matter what Moose says on TV. ESPN, Fox, and NBC splitting coverage costs would bring costs for Fox down significantly too, so that can't be a coincidence either. I wonder if they plan to announce a merger before the XFL/USFL seasons with one more year for both, or if they'll be under one banner this spring. I feel like the former is the most likely. The lack of stadium space for the Stars, Gamblers and Generals is the biggest issue for the USFL teams. The same only applies to the Vipers in the XFL. 

I could see Under Armour as the uniform supplier still, unless adidas or Nike decide they need to get in the game. Ripon has not done anything with the USFL teams that make them stand out so far. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If this does indeed happen, they better take the XFL's starting date the first week after the Super Bowl. Waiting until April loses so much interest in football when you have that big of a gap. Plus, some players picked the XFL in 2023 instead of going back to the USFL due to the start date which allows them the possibility to participate in OTAs and minicamps. And like MJWalker said, I too like the kickoff of the XFL and the 2-pt and 3-pt conversions, but would prefer a simple kick for 1 point ala the USFL and every other level of football from at least high school up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I hope that the combined league keeps the uniform aesthetic of the USFL, which is far superior to that of the XFL.

USFL teams were pretty bland, especially Houston, Memphis and Pittsburgh. The rest were safe, with New Orleans having the most "out there" uniform. 

USFL Teams Unveil New Uniforms For Reboot Season – SportsLogos.Net News

I do agree Arlington and Houston need to be redone. Just go back to their 2020 uniforms. Never re-use a gimmick helmet that Texas Tech had. 

Ranking The XFL 2023 Uniforms From Worst To First

Power ranking every XFL team's home and away uniforms

Power ranking every XFL team's home and away uniforms

I also wonder if they'd consider adding 2 more weeks to the season, especially if they go with the week after the Super Bowl?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The USFL's branding and uniforms could fit in the NFL. There's a reason it all bears so much resemblance to the original USFL: the looks are timeless.

The XFL's is typical minor league garbage that was dated the moment any of it was revealed. For that reason I hope the Gamblers brand stays while the Roughnecks get the boot

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

They said that throughout the year, even when games weren't drawing fans. I don't believe that they were profitable no matter what Moose says on TV. ESPN, Fox, and NBC splitting coverage costs would bring costs for Fox down significantly too, so that can't be a coincidence either. I wonder if they plan to announce a merger before the XFL/USFL seasons with one more year for both, or if they'll be under one banner this spring. I feel like the former is the most likely. The lack of stadium space for the Stars, Gamblers and Generals is the biggest issue for the USFL teams. The same only applies to the Vipers in the XFL. 

I could see Under Armour as the uniform supplier still, unless adidas or Nike decide they need to get in the game. Ripon has not done anything with the USFL teams that make them stand out so far. 

The merged league will be sponsored by anything the Rock is involved with: Under Armor, Termana, Zoa.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The USFL's branding and uniforms could fit in the NFL. There's a reason it all bears so much resemblance to the original USFL: the looks are timeless.

I fully agree with this.

20 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The XFL's is typical minor league garbage that was dated the moment any of it was revealed.

Mostly true.  But D.C.'s and St. Louis's looks were very good — if you take away the silly monochrome and give D.C  white pants with its red jersey and St. Louis grey pants with its blue jersey.  Also, the second Renegades helmet logo was nice.  I love a letter logo; football has far too few of them.

20 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I hope the Gamblers brand stays while the Roughnecks get the boot

I hope so, too.  I'm willing to take the optimistic view and to assume this until we're told otherwise.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

28 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The XFL's is typical minor league garbage that was dated the moment any of it was revealed. For that reason I hope the Gamblers brand stays while the Roughnecks get the boot

The Gamblers are one of the worst looking uniforms in either league. The Roughnecks are almost as bad, but the plainness of the Gamblers is even worse. I would think Houstonians have more affinity to the Roughnecks, since they've actually played in Houston within the last five years. 

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, the second Renegades helmet logo was nice.  I love a letter logo; football has far too few of them.

The renegade head is so much better than that DAR logo.

A Potential Look at the Secondary Logos for Each XFL Team

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png