XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The league should say that its championship game will alternate annually between St. Louis and Washington. Those are the only places that can give it a big-time feel.

It's likelier to float between San Antonio and St. Louis than between St. Louis and DC. Mainly because they can assure a game with less issues due to weather. I'd expect them to rotate through all of the cities though. San Antonio did pretty well this year. Had there not been major storms all weekend they could have done even better. I've already got my seats for next year reserved though. I think season ticket sales may help determine this year's host. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's likelier to float between San Antonio and St. Louis than between St. Louis and DC. Mainly because they can assure a game with less issues due to weather. I'd expect them to rotate through all of the cities though. San Antonio did pretty well this year. Had there not been major storms all weekend they could have done even better. I've already got my seats for next year reserved though. I think season ticket sales may help determine this year's host. 

I think you'll see after a few seasons if they are still operating it could go down the path of the NFL and take bribes to win the XFL Big Game.

I do see your point of weather taking a big part in the decision, after money.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

6 hours ago, tigers said:

I think you'll see after a few seasons if they are still operating it could go down the path of the NFL and take bribes to win the XFL Big Game.

I do see your point of weather taking a big part in the decision, after money.

Since the XFL is single entity, the bids would operate more like the MLS All Star Game, where the league picks the spot and the team coordinates with the city to make sure it happens. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Given that the game is two weeks after the semifinals, it's predetermined location and they're wanting a big show of it, it makes sense for now to keep it in a dome. Later on after a few years they can move it and risk an outdoor venue. 

For TV, I think the 23 title game was handled like a major event and not just another game. A rainy, sloppy, lightly attended neutral site game could kill any interest other than the train wreck factor

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/xfl-issues-statement-houston-roughnecks-future-tdecu-stadium/

Roughnecks may have to move away from TDECU Stadium next year, due to renovations. They may move over to Rice Stadium as a result, which could affect the USFL and the Gamblers if they decided to not have hub cities. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/xfl-issues-statement-houston-roughnecks-future-tdecu-stadium/

Roughnecks may have to move away from TDECU Stadium next year, due to renovations. They may move over to Rice Stadium as a result, which could affect the USFL and the Gamblers if they decided to not have hub cities. 

I don't think Houston can afford two spring football teams anyways.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Good. That was depressing. I think a new city would be better, Preferably San Diego or somewhere east so you can put Seattle and the Texas together to go back to an East-West divisional alignment. I don't even think Sam Boyd Stadium would draw well. They're now an NFL city and probably aren't interested in continuing to be a Spring League market right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McCall said:

Good. That was depressing. I think a new city would be better, Preferably San Diego or somewhere east so you can put Seattle and the Texas together to go back to an East-West divisional alignment. I don't even think Sam Boyd Stadium would draw well. They're now an NFL city and probably aren't interested in continuing to be a Spring League market right now.

Oakland have anything they could use?  Maybe Indianapolis or see if Philadelphia would be on board, since the USFL team doesn't actually play there.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

As much as I like the idea, the Vipers moving to Portland probably won't work since the Timbers and Thorns are extremely protective when it comes to Providence Park.

The field can handle all three sharing since it's turf, but I'd agree that I can't see PTFC signing off on letting them play there. There's a reason Portland State plays in Hillsboro now instead of Providence Park. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, McCall said:

I would almost prefer a move of the Sea Dragons to Portland and the Vipers elsewhere. But I have always liked the idea of the XFL at Providence Park.

The only team with poor enough attendance to require a move is Vegas. If the numbers didn't improve in 2024 I could see that as a reason to move.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The field can handle all three sharing since it's turf, but I'd agree that I can't see PTFC signing off on letting them play there. There's a reason Portland State plays in Hillsboro now instead of Providence Park. 

To be fair to the XFL, I don't think they should be talking to Merritt Paulson anyways.  

• Like 1