Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

The logo design for Feather River has a nice underspoken-ness to it and, at least to this unknowledgeable outsider, the tribute to the community seems nice. The jerseys are quite nice design motifs that I imagine would have some good staying power (how could they change away from a River kit and a Feather kit?)

I like the inclusion of the MLK monument into Hub City's logo. The jerseys are quite pretty as-is... but given the shape of that logo, I'd rather see that elegant white light effect worked into either a rising star / comet tail design or a hub with more spokes rather than a cross. Love the centered logo; that's always a nice look for a couple teams to have, IMO.

Burbank's logo looks good in its own right; no worries about distinction here! The shape's very nice and way better than that strange hexagonal seal thing but it's hard to see the connection; maybe modified proportions would help. Also, I'd like to see a couple boundary lines on the film reel; right now it feels a bit too highway-lanes. I really like the font you chose.

Finally, the jerseys are solid. I like that away a lot, even if it reads more as as a medical staff than a plane to me, but you could maybe show the front nose of the plane to help, or just show off the art deco wing as its own symbol not related to anything else.

More excellent work here!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, vtgco said:

The logo design for Feather River has a nice underspoken-ness to it and, at least to this unknowledgeable outsider, the tribute to the community seems nice. The jerseys are quite nice design motifs that I imagine would have some good staying power (how could they change away from a River kit and a Feather kit?)

I like the inclusion of the MLK monument into Hub City's logo. The jerseys are quite pretty as-is... but given the shape of that logo, I'd rather see that elegant white light effect worked into either a rising star / comet tail design or a hub with more spokes rather than a cross. Love the centered logo; that's always a nice look for a couple teams to have, IMO.

Burbank's logo looks good in its own right; no worries about distinction here! The shape's very nice and way better than that strange hexagonal seal thing but it's hard to see the connection; maybe modified proportions would help. Also, I'd like to see a couple boundary lines on the film reel; right now it feels a bit too highway-lanes. I really like the font you chose.

Finally, the jerseys are solid. I like that away a lot, even if it reads more as as a medical staff than a plane to me, but you could maybe show the front nose of the plane to help, or just show off the art deco wing as its own symbol not related to anything else.

More excellent work here!

Thank you very much! :)

I'd say that Feather River has created a rather timeless look for itself, and I'm glad that you think it works! The current light effect actually didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, so I could definitely rework it into a sunburst design (Palo Alto already lays claim to the comet-tail design). As for Burbank, I can definitely add some extra linework to make it look like a film reel more; I originally had only the wing design on the clash and added the rest of the shape at the last minute, and I can get rid of the extra lines to make it a little better!

---

Western Division

Mountainmen SC

Los Gatos/Scotts Valley, California

Founded: 1995

51279759454_bcd4c2cc4e_o.png

The Santa Cruz Mountains are represented in the CSL2 with a team that plays half its home games in Los Gatos (on the San Jose side of the mountains) and in Scotts Valley (on the Santa Cruz side). This team's identity is heavily inspired by the flora and fauna found in the Santa Cruz Mountains: the colors and the "MM" monogram are inspired by the area's towering redwoods, and a mountain lion (the cats that the Town of Los Gatos is named after) stands above the shield. Inspiration was also taken from Humboldt State University's academic logos.

The green home kit utilizes a chevron pattern (from the crest's main "M") and distorts it to mimic a ground-level view of the redwoods. The tan clash kit incorporates a tree bark pattern. The kits are appropriately supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Roku*.

*Roku used to occupy office space from Netflix, which is headquartered in Los Gatos. Netflix already sponsors the CSL Hollywood SC, so Netflix wasn't used for this one

---

The 50th CSL2 team (only 21 teams left!) will be preceded by some suggested edits to previous teams, so stay tuned for those! :)

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 49/70 Mountainmen SC)

My man! This is an incredible thread - as a Native to southern California I'm blown away by what you've done here. I'm a bit Biased but I'd love to see Manhattan Beach get a team if you're still looking for cities! 

Keep up the great work!

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

On 6/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, McElroy19 said:

My man! This is an incredible thread - as a Native to southern California I'm blown away by what you've done here. I'm a bit Biased but I'd love to see Manhattan Beach get a team if you're still looking for cities! 

Keep up the great work!

It's really been fun learning about all the different parts of California through this series, and I'm glad that my research for these designs has paid off! I already made a team for the Torrance/San Pedro area, but I still have Inglewood for you!

On 6/29/2021 at 4:26 PM, qboy18 said:

So then do you make these in Illustrator or inkscape? I would like to start a similar series and have ideas but I just don't know how to put them all together and actually create it.

I use Illustrator for all my designs, and I've actually never touched Inkscape. There's plenty of tutorials for these design programs out there, and I'm definitely still learning new things on Illustrator despite having used it for five years now. I look forward to seeing what you make!

On 6/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, johnrafael said:

I really loved how your crests developed since my last comment, months ago. CSL2 is maybe more realistic than CSL1 right now. Congratulations!

Thank you! 

The cool thing with CSL2 is that I'm able to create hyper-specific designs for more locations than I could with the CSL, so there are a lot more possibilities with these teams. I'm glad you like them~

---

Before I start making Team No. 50, here are some revisions from a backlog of suggestions  by @vtgco, starting with the most major one:

Frogtown SC

Spoiler

51223754611_ec53b08192_o.png

Not gonna lie, I wasn't 100% satisfied with my first Frogtown crest. After some comments on here, I decided to take on my "Plan B" of a more traditional design with the frog front and center. The team name now takes up both halves of the oval with "SC" on side banners. The light green on the home kit has now been brightened up as well.

Sacramento East

Spoiler

51246353049_c58906f421_o.png

This one's an extremely minor edit, as I just took out the white stripes on the home kit sleeves

Hub City SC

Spoiler

51269421188_2731252c7b_o.png

I replaced the "neon" white cross of the original home kit with a more radial sunburst design

Burbank SC

Spoiler

51274821671_83a989a201_o.png

To make the crest seem less like highway lanes and more like a film reel, I added a line above and below the squares. I also took off the middle design of the clash kit so that it's only the Art Deco wing design

---

As always, I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions you send your way! There's still 21 teams left in this series, so there is still plenty of room to accommodate your suggestions. Here are the remaining teams left:

Spoiler
  • Berkeley
  • Buena Park
  • East San Jose
  • El Cajon
  • Encinitas
  • Goleta
  • Hanford
  • Hayward
  • Inglewood
  • Jackson
  • Porterville
  • Poway
  • Richmond
  • Riverside
  • Roseville
  • Santa Maria
  • Soledad
  • Thousand Oaks
  • Turlock
  • Watsonville
  • Woodland

---

I have Richmond's team up next after the long weekend, and I hope all of my fellow Americans have a safe Fourth of July celebration! :)

On 7/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, PascalHugo said:

Good job as always my friend! Keep going!

Thank you very much for all the support! :)

---

Northwest Division

Richmond Riveters

Richmond, CA

Founded: 2010

51297604831_33c9a36a9f_o.png

The Riveters are an homage to Richmond's wartime shipbuilding industry, and the name is directly inspired by the Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historic Park located on Richmond's old shipyards. The crest features an "RR" monogram loosely based on steel beams, a hard hat at the top (inspired by these Columbus Crew concepts by @vtgco), and a rivet border on the bottom third of the crest. The CSL/CSL2 were lacking in blue/orange teams, so I decided to give Richmond an iron red color.

The home kit features a design that is inspired by the orange oil tanks that overlook the city from the west. The clash kit consists of a line design based on the "roller-coaster" span of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, with the rivet motif doubling as streetlights for the bridge and its reflection on the water. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Nation's Giant Hamburgers (a local burger chain founded in neighboring San Pablo).

---

We are down to our final 20 CSL2 teams! Up next, it's either Berkeley or Roseville!

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 50/70 Richmond Riveters)

Richmond's jerseys are nice, and the colors are quite pretty shades. I definitely like the bridge themed one, though I kinda wish the pattern were more prominent somehow (thicker lines?)

The RR of the logo and riveting is quite nice too. I appreciate your shoutout with the hard hat, but to me, this navy blue hat reads more as a tricorn or a soldier's helmet than anything else... I think having the "dent" on top jut out upward instead of inwards would make a big difference (more like the Massive Report blog logo, which I referenced for my design).  Some vertical highlights instead of that curved highlight might help too.

You could also try some other stuff instead if it still doesn't look right in those colors (Rosie the Riveter bandana? Gear? Hammers?)

Those updates are looking good! Good job on that Hub City home jersey.

Burbank's away is nice but maybe the design could be even more prominent if it were vertical running below the crest or on both sides or something.

Frogtown's crest looks a tad better; the desaturated colors are a bit more pleasant even if the frog is the same. Did you consider having a solid non-gradient light green belly for it?

Finally, that Mountainmen away jersey is another beauty! Good work.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:14 PM, vtgco said:

Richmond's jerseys are nice, and the colors are quite pretty shades. I definitely like the bridge themed one, though I kinda wish the pattern were more prominent somehow (thicker lines?)

The RR of the logo and riveting is quite nice too. I appreciate your shoutout with the hard hat, but to me, this navy blue hat reads more as a tricorn or a soldier's helmet than anything else... I think having the "dent" on top jut out upward instead of inwards would make a big difference (more like the Massive Report blog logo, which I referenced for my design).  Some vertical highlights instead of that curved highlight might help too.

You could also try some other stuff instead if it still doesn't look right in those colors (Rosie the Riveter bandana? Gear? Hammers?)

Those updates are looking good! Good job on that Hub City home jersey.

Burbank's away is nice but maybe the design could be even more prominent if it were vertical running below the crest or on both sides or something.

Frogtown's crest looks a tad better; the desaturated colors are a bit more pleasant even if the frog is the same. Did you consider having a solid non-gradient light green belly for it?

Finally, that Mountainmen away jersey is another beauty! Good work.

Thanks for all the pointers! I've taken your suggestions and made the following edits:

Richmond Riveters

Spoiler

51297604831_33c9a36a9f_o.png

I took a second look on the hard hat visual (both from your reference and pictures of hard hats), and reshaped the hat a bit and added vertical highlights. I did realize after first posting concept that the Richmond "hat" resembled more of an American Revolutionary than a shipyard worker. I also thickened the lines on the clash jersey.

Burbank 97

Spoiler

51274821671_e7a13a6a57_o.png

As suggested, the Art Deco wing motif now lines the sides of the clash jersey instead of being a horizontal wing logo on the upper torso.

Frogtown SC

Spoiler

51223754611_4fa7b61758_o.png

I went ahead and added a solid-colored belly onto the frog, and it does break up the plainness of the frog a little!

---

I'm super excited to show y'all this next one, and I hope you all enjoy it!

Northwest Division

AFC Berkeley

Berkeley, CA

Founded: 1988

51304385227_db55df3e93_o.png

Today, Berkeley is known for its history of left-leaning politics and protests that was rooted in the counterculture of the 1960s. As a result, AFC Berkeley's entire aesthetic is based on psychedelic "hippie" design with its unusual letterforms inside a circle. The turquoise is taken from UC Berkeley's Sather Gate, which I paired with the Mighty Ducks purple

The home kit takes the shape and architectural details of the Sather Gate and gives it a curvy, groovy aesthetic. The clash kit pairs the team's purple with UC Berkeley gold for a "radiating sun" design. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Peet's Coffee.

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 51/70 AFC Berkeley)

I've basically stopped commenting on these because each and everyone is so great. The Berkeley roundel really does capture the counter-culture vibe that you're going for. Can't believe you're still cranking out such high quality work. It'll be a sad day on the boards when this series comes to a close.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, MDTrey4 said:

I've basically stopped commenting on these because each and everyone is so great. The Berkeley roundel really does capture the counter-culture vibe that you're going for. Can't believe you're still cranking out such high quality work. It'll be a sad day on the boards when this series comes to a close.

I'm glad you liked what I made for Berkeley, my friend! :) I try my best to be accurate to the design styles I reference for my designs, and I'm glad I pulled off the counterculture design well!

I appreciate the support throughout this whole series, and I hope that the final leg of this series will be well worth it

---

Southwest Division

Deportivo Santa Maria

Santa Maria, CA

Founded: 1995

Affiliated with: SLO Town SC

51320914863_6d7056e961_o.png

Santa Maria is known for a unique style of BBQ that's characterized by quick-cooking cuts of meat (mainly tri-tip) cooked on an open wood grill. This bit of information (provided to me by @woody86) gave itself to a really unique identity, as this whole team's look is based on the area's culinary heritage. The crest and colors are inspired by a medium-rare steak, and it's flanked by a Western-style "SM" monogram. 

The home kit transforms the players into a slice of medium-rare steak with charred skin. The light pink clash kit features diagonal pattern that's inspired by barbecue grills. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is A.J. Spurs Saloon & Dining Hall.

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 52/70 Deportivo Santa Maria)

Richmond looks much better with the updated hard hat; good work! Definitely happy with the other updates as well.

Berkeley has an interesting look; I'm not personally big on the groovy '60s aesthetic but you pull it off. I'm a bit off-put by just how tiny and squished the "ELEY" is compared to the "BERK" on the logo, though I wouldn't blame you if you'd rather not have to rework it (letters take forever!)

The jerseys are solid; I'd suggest you ensure that the top of the swirly purple side panels connect to one of the blue waves, and maybe try purple on yellow for the New Balance logo on the away.

Santa Maria's look is pretty funny! I never would've guessed there was a SoCal barbeque style 😝 

The monogram is cool; I wonder if the top of the shield should be flatter so the curve doesn't clash with the flat top of the M...?

Anyways, good work here as always!

On 7/19/2021 at 11:03 AM, vtgco said:

Richmond looks much better with the updated hard hat; good work! Definitely happy with the other updates as well.

Berkeley has an interesting look; I'm not personally big on the groovy '60s aesthetic but you pull it off. I'm a bit off-put by just how tiny and squished the "ELEY" is compared to the "BERK" on the logo, though I wouldn't blame you if you'd rather not have to rework it (letters take forever!)

The jerseys are solid; I'd suggest you ensure that the top of the swirly purple side panels connect to one of the blue waves, and maybe try purple on yellow for the New Balance logo on the away.

Santa Maria's look is pretty funny! I never would've guessed there was a SoCal barbeque style 😝 

The monogram is cool; I wonder if the top of the shield should be flatter so the curve doesn't clash with the flat top of the M...?

Anyways, good work here as always!

As far as Berkeley is concerned, I'll have to keep the crest as-is to remain faithful to the psychedelic style. I know it's not your favorite style (it's not really one of mine, either), but a lot of design from that era throws out any traditional typography conventions leading to some incredibly illegible designs at times. I did go ahead and make the very tiny kit suggestions you had, though!

Spoiler

51304385227_db55df3e93_o.png

I was really surprised to find out about Santa Maria BBQ as well! 😂 I went ahead and actually did the opposite of your crest suggestions, and I ended up making the top of the "M" curved to match the curvature of the crest; it does look a little better too!

Spoiler

51320914863_6d7056e961_o.png

---

Staying in central California, here is a team from the Central Valley!

Valley Division

Lemoore-Hanford Heat

Hanford, California

Founded: 2017

51327901954_1dedbae600_o.png

One of the newest teams in CSL2, Kings County's team is designed with the Naval Air Station Lemoore and the dry Central Valley heat (like the backstory of the MiLB Bakersfield Blaze) in mind. The modern-looking crest features a fighter jet and an "LH" monogram that's stylized like the Air Station's twin parallel runways. A Utah Jazz-style orange gradient brings the team's "heat" aspect to life.

The home kit features the orange gradient with the twin runways sublimated onto the gradient. The team did sport a black home kit with the gradient in its first season, but it was changed to a mostly-orange design after players complained about how terrible it was to wear the black jerseys in Hanford's hot weather. The fighter jet-inspired clash kit is light gray with two chevrons reminiscent of Navy rank insignia. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is the Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino.

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 53/70 Lemoore-Hanford Heat)
On 6/3/2021 at 10:28 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

Thank you very much! And that's pretty cool how you went to school with a super legit astronomer 😂

---

Valley Division

Frogtown SC

Angels Camp, California

Founded: 2011

51223754611_4fa7b61758_o.png

Angels Camp's claim to fame is being the setting of Mark Twain's first successful work, The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County. As a result, this Sierra Nevada town is sometimes known as "Frogtown", leading to this team's name.  After a bit of research, I found out that the frog species in question are the American bullfrogs, which is featured prominently in this oval crest.

The home kit is inspired by the skin of a bullfrog, complete with dark green spots all over the jersey. The clash kit features the clotheslines that I frequently saw on images of downtown Angels Camp, which apparently is a reference to the clothes worn during the Gold Rush days. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is the Black Oak Casino Resort in neighboring Tuolumne County.

It’s been awhile and I don’t have much time for feedback, but I need you to know that this frog gives me the will to get out of bed in the morning. What a nice, sophisticated looking guy.

On 7/25/2021 at 1:01 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

It’s been awhile and I don’t have much time for feedback, but I need you to know that this frog gives me the will to get out of bed in the morning. What a nice, sophisticated looking guy.

I really appreciate that!!! The frog was a little funky to make, but I'm glad you're really liking it! :)

---

I've been super busy lately, but this series will still be chugging along!

Capital Division

Roseville Sporting

Roseville, CA

Founded: 1990

51342128029_747372fa5f_o.png

Roseville's team identity combines the roses from the city's name with railroads (another @woody86 suggestion!) from the city's industry. The crest is a more traditional, English-style crest with two roses whose stems and thorns are stylized like a diagonal rail crossing. As an effort to distinguish this team from the bigger Roses AFC down in Pasadena, Roseville's identity features a lot more green and a brighter red color.

The home kit blows up the interlocking "railroad rose stem" pattern from the crest and places it on the front torso. The red clash kit isolates the railroad tracks and turns it into a hoop pattern. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Quick Quack Car Wash.

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 54/70 Roseville Sporting)

I think for Roseville's home jersey, you've got too many things going on, with the spiky diagonals and the inline and the gradient and the red shoulders, paired with an already busy sponsor and the outlines for the Puma logo. You might ditch one of those elements (my vote's on the red shoulders) and I think that'd make a big difference.

The away's solid though, and I like the idea of the train-tracks/rose thorns. If you were hoping for more distinction from Roses Pasadena, you might be able to go with pink roses or white roses outlined in green and have the team be white & green, or you could do something with this sign, but I like what you have. 

Lenmore-Hanford looks beautiful with the Utah Jazz gradient; only suggestion would be to have the tops & bottoms of the logo's L and H end in diagonals rather than horizontals. Jerseys are quite pretty.

I know my Berkeley ideas were nitpicks, but thanks for humoring me; they look good.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:47 PM, vtgco said:

I think for Roseville's home jersey, you've got too many things going on, with the spiky diagonals and the inline and the gradient and the red shoulders, paired with an already busy sponsor and the outlines for the Puma logo. You might ditch one of those elements (my vote's on the red shoulders) and I think that'd make a big difference.

The away's solid though, and I like the idea of the train-tracks/rose thorns. If you were hoping for more distinction from Roses Pasadena, you might be able to go with pink roses or white roses outlined in green and have the team be white & green, or you could do something with this sign, but I like what you have. 

Lenmore-Hanford looks beautiful with the Utah Jazz gradient; only suggestion would be to have the tops & bottoms of the logo's L and H end in diagonals rather than horizontals. Jerseys are quite pretty.

I know my Berkeley ideas were nitpicks, but thanks for humoring me; they look good.

Thanks for the suggestions as always! :)

You're right about the Roseville home jersey being a bit too busy, so I trimmed down the design elements there. I got rid of the inline cross and made it one thick stem, and I also got rid of the gradient. I kept the red shoulders, though, as I wanted to keep the rose-style design (green stem and red flower). I did think about using that Roseville sign when creating this identity, but then this train track/rose thorn idea came up and I just stuck with it.

Spoiler

51342128029_747372fa5f_o.png

For Lemoore-Hanford, I did think about making the bottoms of the monogram into diagonals, but I felt that it would mess up the balance of the crest. I'm glad you liked it, though!

---

Southern Division

Encinitas AFC

Encinitas, California

Founded: 1999

Affiliated with: Sporting Oceanside

51359257295_b477eebf5a_o.png

I had been wanting to make a sand castle-themed crest (a Californian twist on the traditional castle crests such as West Ham's old crest) for a while now, and I felt like the seaside community of Encinitas was a perfect fit for this type of identity.  Very simply, the crest features a yellow sand castle with a wave pattern beneath it.

The home kit is a yellow/blue hooped kit with a sublimated "brick" pattern that you might find in more elaborate sand castles. The green clash kit is inspired by the colors and architectural stylings of Encinitas' city arch. The kits are supplied by Nike, and the sponsor is Rockstar San Diego.

---

Fifteen teams left to go! 

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to Revisiting the California Soccer League! (CSL2: 55/70 Encinitas AFC)

That Encinitas crest is SO clean. One suggestion I would have is using just the shield on the jerseys. With the banner, it shrinks the overall design and something that clean should be able to shine on its own.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:28 AM, MDTrey4 said:

That Encinitas crest is SO clean. One suggestion I would have is using just the shield on the jerseys. With the banner, it shrinks the overall design and something that clean should be able to shine on its own.

You got it! I made a version of the Encinitas kits with the enlarged, shield-only crest on it. Glad you liked Encinitas! :)

Spoiler

51359257295_fbab0a92d6_o.png

---

Basin Division

Riverside 1871

Riverside, California

Founded: 1986

51369275865_debf737183_o.png

Riverside can be considered the birthplace of California's citrus industry, as clippings from the Parent Washington Navel Tree (planted in 1871) seeded countless orange groves throughout the state. The crest (whose shape is inspired by this Bordeaux crest concept by @Sidney) features the arch of the historic Mission Inn and the bell found on Riverside's city symbols

The brown home kit features a spotted pattern inspired by orange groves seen from above. The orange clash kit features an orange tree whose branches go right through Riverside, symbolizing the city's role in the state's citrus industry. The kits are supplied by Under Armour, and the sponsor is Farmer Boys.

Archived