USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

I'm thrown more by the fact that the "b" in the logo is lower-case while the rest of the wordmark is all-caps. 

One idea  — take it or leave it. :)  — is to maybe make a  BLITZ wordmark in which the Z can. be made into a lightning bolt. Than just use the bolt on the helmet instead of trying to force a B into it. 

• Like 1

Gosioux76, 

Do you mean more similar to the actual (IRL) blitz logo?  I was trying to get away from that logo since it has not been changed since 1983 and I wanted something different, but I see your point.  The z by itself might be a bit weird, but I will try out a few looks. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, WideRight said:

Gosioux76, 

Do you mean more similar to the actual (IRL) blitz logo?  I was trying to get away from that logo since it has not been changed since 1983 and I wanted something different, but I see your point.  The z by itself might be a bit weird, but I will try out a few looks. 

spacer.png

Sort of. 

I think what I’m suggesting is to modernize the original wordmark using all-caps, but make the z-bolt strong enough that it could stand alone. 

The letter “Z” is an interesting  enough character on its own that it could anchor a brand like this, especially if artfully rendered into a lightning bolt.

12 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

@WideRight

Did the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks logo ever get used in this universe? I wonder if that or the plane from the AAF Memphis Express logo could be used by the New York Jets in this universe.

The Skyhawks logo was not used (not one I particularly care for).  So far in name or logo use, the following WLAF/NFL Europe Teams have made an appearance:

Portland Thunder:  have used the name and logos of both the Orlando and Berlin Thunder.

NY/NJ Knights:  Name and logo was used by the St. Louis Knights

Montreal Machine:  Name and logo have been used by the Chicago Machine

Birminghman Fire: Name and logo used by the Atlanta Fire

Barcelona Dragons:  Name and colors used by the Seattle Dragons

So far that is it, but more may come, though we are now more in the realm of the XFL as far as time period.  So fa very little from the XFL has made it into the league.  Other influences you can see in the league are:

LA Express:  Use LA Avengers logo from Arenaball

Michigan Panthers: Houston Cougars (NCAA) logo used.

Texas Outlaws: Logo (modified) of CFL-USA San Antonio Texans used.

Birmingham Stallions: Unused NFL Bronco logo used.

And, of course, some modernizations have been based on the 2022 revival of the USFL (and that may continue as we get into the 2000's. 

OK, a quick Baltimore update and then a crowdsourcing question.  

Here is the updated logo w/wordmark, dealing with the uppercase/lowercase issues.  I think this is a good transitional look to allow for the B to remain as the main logo but also pay tribute to a logo they have had for 18 seasons. 

spacer.png

And here is the complete look.  The trend towards stripeless pants is taking hold in the USFL.   In this case, all striping is removed from the helmet as well, and the sleeve/shoulder treatments are very basic, a single sash (similar to Houston NFL) and grey/silver sleeves. 

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

Oops, forgot my crowdsourcing question.  Here it is.   

I reviewed all 24 league helmets and found:

5 -- Silver helmets  (BAL, JAX, TBY, LA, and Memphis is mostly silver but a blueish version)  

4 -- Metallic gold/copper (MGN, BIR, PHI, ARZ)

3 -- Black (DEN, HOU, ORL)

3 -- White (WSH, NOR, POR)

2 -- Blue (ATL, OHI)

2 -- Red/Maroon (NJ, CHI)

2 -- Green (TEX, SEA)

2 -- Purple (PIT, STL)

1 -- Yellow (OAK)

That feels like too many silver helmets, especially with 3 of the 5 in the same division.  So, who should lose it?

A.  Tampa Bay moves to a black helmet?

B.  Jacksonvile moves to an orange or maroon helmet?

C.  LA moves to a navy or speed blue helmet?

D.  Baltimore moves to a royal blue helmet?

There are currently no orange helmets in the league, but that seems a big leap for the Bulls.  

Thoughts?

It won't surprise me if we have more black helmets in this era, so TB seems ripe, even with just a white outline to the black logo (like the ATL Falcons).

I also wouldn't mind LA going to Speed Blue (like the Seahawks) before settling on the darker blue. 

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

A.  Tampa Bay moves to a black helmet?

B.  Jacksonvile moves to an orange or maroon helmet?

C.  LA moves to a navy or speed blue helmet?

D.  Baltimore moves to a royal blue helmet?

Option C. 

Tampa Bay's silver lids are too iconic to lose. Similarly, when I think of the USFL's Blitz, I can't help but visualize them in silver helmets. As for an orange or maroon helmet in Jacksonville, neither would be as attractive as the silver the Bulls currently sport. 

All of that said, speed blue helmets would look outstanding on the Los Angeles Express.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Option C. 

Tampa Bay's silver lids are too iconic to lose. Similarly, when I think of the USFL's Blitz, I can't help but visualize them in silver helmets. As for an orange or maroon helmet in Jacksonville, neither would be as attractive as the silver the Bulls currently sport. 

All of that said, speed blue helmets would look outstanding on the Los Angeles Express.  

I agree with Brian. A maroon Jacksonville helmet wouldn't look bad, but it can't match the silver in terms of quality. If alternate helmets were a thing, then I'd consider it, but not as a primary.

Also, really great work on the Blitz updated. I love the all lower-case wordmark. Great job. 

I think I agree with the consensus that the Express are the easiest to modify.  I too like the Bulls with a silver helmet, though I think their silver is darker than Tampa Bay or Baltimore, closer to a pewter like the NFL Bucs, at least I picture it that way.  

Expect for 2003 to see Baltimore (Already done),  Jacksonville, and Seattle get the new looks.  Then in 2004 I think we will see New Orleans, Michigan, and Houston (yes, again) updated.  Not sure when LA will change, but they just did in 2000, so it will be a little while. 

• Like 3

On 9/22/2022 at 9:25 PM, neo_prankster said:

Are the Blitz retiring their Billy Blitz mascot?

No, he is still around.  Not on the jersey's anymore, but still there.  Could appear on future jerseys.  After all, that is a lot of the same logo being used right now. 

• Like 1