USBL Basketball League (20 Teams, Logos, Jerseys, and Courts)

jaha32

12 hours ago, southernbaseballteams2019 said:

What about Memphis Scarabs, because Memphis is also located at Egypt.

This league is a collection of logos I’ve already completed or tinkered on over the years, so I’m just working on the finishing  touches, making jerseys, and in a few cases assigning cities. Unfortunately there will be no Scarabs.

Getting down the home stretch here with only three teams remaining after this. The Philadelphia Liberty, named after the Liberty Bell. This team dates back to the mid 90's and even pre-dates the WNBA's New York Liberty by a year or two.  I wanted them to have a traditional look so the jerseys have fairly traditional trimming. The lettering is custom made as I wanted the name to sit perfectly centered above the bell.

Next up will probably be Chicago or Nashville.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 17/20)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 5:27 AM, Dion Jones Jr. said:

Can't go wrong with a blue and gold team, another excellent team. Loving this series

Thanks for following this series and the feedback!

On to the next team. The Nashville Rhythm are a carryover from my EBA series. The composition of logo hasn't changed much but I redid the whole thing from scratch by redrawing the custom lettering and simplifying the details. If you look closely, you can find the state outline of Tennessee, which is one of the main additions in this update.

The team name comes from Nashville's music industry and nickname as Music City. The secondary logo in particular has some similarities to the Utah Jazz. The five lines on the jerseys are meant to look like musical notes on sheet music.

spacer.png

Updated Jerseys

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 2

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 18/20)
6 hours ago, jbird669 said:

That is such a sweet set for Nashville. While I am fan of Orange and Blue (Go Broncos!) aren't red and blue the colors of the city?

Could be. I don’t actually know but with DC, New York, an Houston already using red and blue color schemes, and California the only other team with any orange, I decided we needed more orange.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

The logo has yellow, but it seems there's too little on the unis themselves. What would they look like with yellow numbers and maybe the rear stripe?

I'll see if it looks any better with a little more yellow on the uniforms. I do want to keep some of the white to match the white on the logo and keep yellow as an accent color if possible.

Also hopefully I'll have the next team posted sometime this coming weekend.

That Nashville Rhythm logo is amazing. Funnily enough, I've got a Nashville Rhythm team of my own, but I'm jealous of that Tennessee shape in the music note. Wish I'd thought of that myself. This whole series has been a treat, all of the team identities and uniform have been impressively creative and well-designed. Great stuff as usual!

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

12 hours ago, PERRIN said:

That Nashville Rhythm logo is amazing. Funnily enough, I've got a Nashville Rhythm team of my own, but I'm jealous of that Tennessee shape in the music note. Wish I'd thought of that myself. This whole series has been a treat, all of the team identities and uniform have been impressively creative and well-designed. Great stuff as usual!

Thank you! Nashville Rhythm is a good name in my opinion so I can see why you chose it yourself. I also considered putting the Rhythm in Memphis, Cleveland, or Detroit, but stuck with Nashville. The Tennessee shape idea just came to me last minute so I added it.

9 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Awesome series.

Owls is a very under-utilized name in sports. I was hoping the Edmonton Eskimos would use it.

Thanks! Outside of Temple, Rice, and a few other colleges, it isn't used as much as Eagles or Hawks that's for sure. Edmonton Owls has a nice ring to it. 

Based on the feedback, I've gone back added some more yellow to the Nashville Rhythm jerseys above, but again, I wanted the use of yellow on the logo, which is only used as thin lines and highlights, to mirror the distribution of yellow on the jersey.

On to the second-to-last team - the Chicago Cyclones. The name Cyclones ties into Chicago's nickname as the Windy City. Plus Illinois has plenty of tornadoes. The logo has a happy little accident in that there just so happens to be an unintentional C in the upper portion of the cyclone. It may look familiar since I also used this logo in the EBA series, and a much earlier version I made years ago is floating around as stock art. The uniforms have asymmetrical striping which makes it somewhat unique to this league, and this is the only team with any maroon.

One more team to go. I tried to cover most of the map, but there's an empty pocket in the Pacific Northwest so I will be placing the last team in Portland or Seattle.

Updated Colors:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

• jaha32 changed the title to USBL Basketball League (Team 19/20)
On 4/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, jbird669 said:

That is such a sweet set for Nashville. While I am fan of Orange and Blue (Go Broncos!) aren't red and blue the colors of the city?

Yellow and blue (navy, to be specific) are the colors of the city flag; red and blue are the colors of the state. But I wouldn't marry myself to any of that just to create a team brand unless it's so deeply entrenched into the city's social fabric (think black and yellow for Pittsburgh) that it just wouldn't make sense to go another direction.

1 hour ago, jaha32 said:

On to the second-to-last team - the Chicago Cyclones. The name Cyclones ties into Chicago's nickname as the Windy City. Plus Illinois has plenty of tornadoes. The logo has a happy little accident in that there just so happens to be an unintentional C in the upper portion of the cyclone. It may look familiar since I also used this logo in the EBA series, and a much earlier version I made years ago is floating around as stock art. The uniforms have asymmetrical striping which makes it somewhat unique to this league, and this is the only team with any maroon.

One more team to go. I tried to cover most of the map, but there's an empty pocket in the Pacific Northwest so I will be placing the last team in Portland or Seattle.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now here's a colorway I can't recall having seen anywhere for any pro sports team...ever, in that you used a unique shade of purple--looks like plum in phone. But just that fact alone makes this stand out.

Going back to the original Crocs concept for a minute...and I want everyone to pay attention to this. Sometimes it's perfectly okay to have fun with a team brand. Okay, so there's no crocodiles in Carolina, or anywhere else in North America for that matter--but there's also no jaguars in Jacksonville, either, and yet here we are 27 years later and they're still there. I personally LOVED the original name, Carolina Crocs, just for the fun of it. There aren't any rhinos in Rochester NY, either (or anywhere else in North America except for maybe in a zoo somewhere), and yet they, until the corporate rebrand, made that fun name work. Sometimes it's cool just to embrace the "fun" in a brand and run with it...own it. Something for you newer, up-and-coming, and aspiring designers to keep in mind: everything doesnt have to be so rigid or fit into neat little boxes. Sometimes its best to be fluid. All of which is a long-form way of saying: my vote is to change it back to the Carolina Crocs and let the fun be what it is.

As for the rest of this series, Greg...yeah I'm late to the party, but man have I enjoyed going through this series. This is some top-notch stuff, bro--but then would I expect anything less from you? 😃

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||