Infrared41's Best And Worst Presented by BBTV - 2021 Week 6

BBTV

Standard disclaimer: This thread is for the best and worst uniform matchups for any particular week.  These are simply my opinions, you're welcome (and encouraged!) to disagree. 

• Usually, the color matchup is the biggest factor.  While I like both the Raiders and Panthers uniforms, Raiders in standard road vs Carolina in standard home probably isn't going to win just due to similarity.  Same with Seahawks in mono-navy against Patriots in their standard road.  
  • I'm neither a modernist nor traditionalist.  I think that things that look good to me look good, and things that look bad look bad.  There's modern uniforms I love, and some that I hate.  A uniform design could ruin even a spectacular color matchup - or maybe it won't.  It's unlikely that the Titans or Cardinals will ever show up on the 'best' list, regardless of matchup.  But maybe they will.  I also don't automatically penalize teams for wearing monochrome - It's likely that the mono-navy Seahawks will find their way to the best list on occasion, however the Chiefs in all red won't.
  • Lighting and weather play a role too.  Some matchups just look better in bright natural light, some look great in snow, and even the best one might look crappy in a dome under 5,000 kelvin light.
  • Going to try and do 3+2 (three best, 2 worst) but in reality, I'll just do whatever I want.  Also, I rarely watch games that aren't the Eagles, so I'm going mostly by watching highlights or google searching for images of the games.

Week 6:

This is a tough one.  There weren't really any flat-out stinkers, and there was a lot of matchups between teams with great uniforms / colors and teams with crappy ones, so several games kinda offset each other.   Also matchups like Cowboys vs Patriots, that were just too silver/blueish weren't "great" or "awful".  In fact, there's only ONE "worst" this week (but a controversial honorable mention there).  I can see there being a lot of debate about this list.  That being said, LET'S GO!

BEST:

1. Chargers at Ravens

Not even the Ravens stupid helmet logo could ruin this matchup of spectacular colors.  The daylight helped brighten the purple, and the contrast between the light (white, yellow, powder) and dark (black, purple) was magnificent.  [EDIT: there's a bit to unpack in this photo.  Is #50 praying for Herbert?  Dude looks like he just got pummeled. ]

UPT6XK5G3VCNXB24ML5C47OQQM.jpg

2.  Packers at Bears

I'm not the biggest fan of the Bears throwbacks, but I'm a sucker for the striped socks, and extra orange helps them out here.  The Packers, just by virtue of being green and gold are likely to find themselves in the "best" part more often than not, but against the Bears?  No brainer.

USATSI_16977356.jpg?resize=1536,1141

3.  Texans at Colts

This would normally have not made my list as there's not really enough brightness for my tastes, and I very nearly swapped it for one of the HMs, but I can't deny a great classic look vs a great contemporary one.  Would have been better under brighter natural light.

jkx7fuppoqkxiyqyptyd.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

-Bucs at Eagles

Would have made the "best" if a bright daytime game.

vbnrcpal3z3huyn8sfno.jpg

-Rams at Giants

Rams in their least-offensive combo, Giants with the splash of red to add to the nice color matchup here.

bfrtgbzyeuzu0l6eveec.jpg

Also receiving votes:  Seattle at Pittsburgh.  Had Seattle worn gray pants and it been a day game, this one might have made it.

Worst

1. Dolphins vs Jaguars in London

Honestly, this wasn't that bad, but it's making the list because of what it could have been.  If Miami wore white pants and Jacksonville wore teal jerseys with either their white or black pants, this would have been a solid looking game.  Even if the Jags wore their white pants, while I wouldn't have liked it, it would have salvaged it.  I'm not anti-monochrome, but I really don't think the Jags pull it off, and when you contrast that against the cruise-ship Dolphins, it's just a bad looking game.

1347074763.0.jpg

Dishonorable Mention

Chiefs at Washington

Yell at me all you want, but this one just didn't do it for me.  The battle of "traditional" vs "proto-traditional" seemed to clash more to me than a battle of "traditional" vs "contemporary", and the colors were just too close for my liking.  Had Washington been in their regular uniforms, or in their white uniforms (with KC in red obviously), this one would have been nice.  But as it is, the colors make it hard to look at.

jkp1q2dgsm5k85vwkfx3.jpg

GO!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a Big Ten fan, seeing different shades of red play each other gets quite dull and I would agree that Chiefs-WFT matchup is not especially good.

I would disagree on Dolphins-Jags, however. I'm not a monochrome fan for the most part but going all black against the bright aqua/orange/white of Miami worked really well IMO. If Miami had switched to white pants it would've been bland (all white v all black), so I think this was a smart looking combo overall.

That said, there weren't a lot of options for "worst" so  fair enough.

2 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

If Miami had switched to white pants it would've been bland (all white v all black), so I think this was a smart looking combo overall.

But all black wasn't the only choice the Jags could have made, as I said in my write up.  This could have been a great game had other choices been made.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, BBTV said:

But all black wasn't the only choice the Jags could have made, as I said in my write up.  This could have been a great game had other choices been made.

I took that into account, I just don't agree that the other options would've been much better. White pants wouldn't improve the look against the Dolphins. The teal could given Miami went all white (otherwise it's teal v aqua clashing), but I don't think it changes the matchup that much.

Is this just BBTV's best and worst list? I want to do a thread where it's for everybody. Or is this the place for it? If it is, notify and specify it. So we can avoid duplicate threads.

I agree about the Chargers vs Ravens and Packers vs Bears. I don't agree with Dolphins vs Jaguars being the worst, this was the best possible uniform display for this matchup. I would have to say Chiefs vs Washington Football Team is the worst look of week 6.

4 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Is this just BBTV's best and worst list? I want to do a thread where it's for everybody. Or is this the place for it? If it is, notify and specify it. So we can avoid duplicate threads.

I agree about the Chargers vs Ravens and Packers vs Bears. I don't agree with Dolphins vs Jaguars being the worst, this was the best possible uniform display for this matchup. I would have to say Chiefs vs Washington Football Team is the worst look of week 6.

It is for everyone to discuss. BBTV is simply stating his list as a jump off point for anyone who agrees or disagrees.

23 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

These threads have been going on since at least 2016 with a one year gap.  Feel free to voice your opinion - as stated in the disclaimer, these are  simply my opinions (though technically everything I post here belongs to Infrared due to our complicated licensing agreement) to get a conversation started. 

Simply posting lists isn’t as productive as interactive discussion, so please disagree and suggest what you would have had on your list instead (and why). 

This was a pretty “middle-of-the road” week. Not very many great matchups, but not really any horrible ones, either. I agree that Chargers-Ravens is the clear #1, the bright colors of the Chargers contrasted wonderfully with the dark colors of the Ravens. Packers-Bears is also a pretty clear #2, I only wish the Packers wore their new throwback, as well.

Beyond that, I’d probably have the Bucs-Eagles game (I like that it was at night, it worked for the more dreary colors of both teams), and maybe Bengals-Lions as an honorable mention. Although the colors looked as good as they possibly could for Rams-Giants, the Rams uniforms have too many flaws for them to make it onto the best list for me.

I also honestly really liked Dolphins-Jaguars in London, I think the matchup was as good as it possibly could have been. I wouldn’t have even minded if the Dolphins went with white pants. Since aqua and teal are such similar colors, it makes sense for both teams to embrace the other colors in their respective palettes. 

One thing I liked about the Chiefs-Washington matchup was that, by Washington wearing the “throwbacks,” they didn’t have any athletic gold in their palette, so there wasn’t an abundance of it for both teams.

To recap, for this week my list would probably be:

BEST

1. Chargers at Ravens

2. Packers at Bears

3. Buccaneers at Eagles

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1. Bengals at Lions

2. Dolphins vs Jaguars in London

I didn’t really find there to be any “worst” matchups this week.

23 hours ago, DNAsports said:

In terms of “so close, yet so far” when it comes to the perfect uniform for both teams, I thought Bengals-Lions was a really good looking game

spacer.png

I feel like had this game been played outside instead of in a dome, it would have been better. Detroit's Honolulu blue really pops in natural light.

There's just too much of an imbalance with the Bengals white/white combo.  There's practically no orange from the neck down.  Maybe if they wore black pants it would be more of a contender for me.

42 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There's just too much of an imbalance with the Bengals white/white combo.  There's practically no orange from the neck down.  Maybe if they wore black pants it would be more of a contender for me.

Yea shows they really needed to incorporate some orange into the away uniforms rather than trying to do this Faux white tiger colorrush nonsense.

The thing with the White Tiger look is that it sounds great on paper (and in my opinion, it doesn't look that bad in practice either).  The problem is that we associate the Bengals with being a black-and-orange team, so the lack of orange on the jersey (save for the number outline) and pants is jarring when put together with the orange helmet.  The solution would be to remove all orange from the uniform head-to-toe, so you'd be left with a white-and-black helmet and single color black numbers.  Of course, it would take approximately 0.00005 seconds for some dude on the internet (probably here, let's be honest) to go "hurr hurr more like Cincinnati Zebras! GOTTEM" and there really wouldn't be any logical rebuttal to that.

So TL;DR, just go with the black pants on the road, even though I think the White Tiger look is not all that bad.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Crabcake said:

The thing with the White Tiger look is that it sounds great on paper (and in my opinion, it doesn't look that bad in practice either).  The problem is that we associate the Bengals with being a black-and-orange team, so the lack of orange on the jersey (save for the number outline) and pants is jarring when put together with the orange helmet.  The solution would be to remove all orange from the uniform head-to-toe, so you'd be left with a white-and-black helmet and single color black numbers.  Of course, it would take approximately 0.00005 seconds for some dude on the internet (probably here, let's be honest) to go "hurr hurr more like Cincinnati Zebras! GOTTEM" and there really wouldn't be any logical rebuttal to that.

So TL;DR, just go with the black pants on the road, even though I think the White Tiger look is not all that bad.

Wouldn’t the real solution be add orange to the uniform rather than take it away?

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

Wouldn’t the real solution be add orange to the uniform rather than take it away?

I guess I should have worded it better.  What I meant to say was that the solution was to remove any and all orange from the uniform *if you wanted to go all-in on the White Tiger look.*

As it stands now, when the Bengals wear white-on-white on the road, it looks like a weird in-between where there's just enough orange to remind you how much more orange it needs.

spacer.png

The real solution to the "White Tiger" thing is to make the white tiger set the alternate to pair it with a white helmet and make a normal white jersey to pair with the orange helmet. I can't remember if teams get four jerseys but even if not losing the orange alt is preferable to the lack of orange on the normal road jersey.

the user formerly known as cdclt

spacer.png

You guys just want the 2003 uniforms. So do I, but they're still such an improvement over the 2004-2020 uniforms that I'm not yet ready to objectively take them down. The white jerseys are easily my least favorite part of the set, but the white tiger look really doesn't bother me. It is getting tiresome that they've introduced these slick new uniforms and thanks to the way the schedule broke and their early season home game decisions they will wear the black jerseys just once in the first 8 weeks of the season and only twice through week 12. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 hours ago, Sport said:

spacer.png

This is pretty much perfect.

The only changes I would make would be to make the wordmark & Nike swoosh black, and to thicken the orange outline around the numbers a tad, but those are both nitpicks at that point.

The best part about this is that the template would easily transfer to the black and orange jerseys, without having to change the colors of the stripes themselves. 

Or, you know, just remove the logo and number from the sleeve of these (but go with the current horizontal pants-stripe pattern)
jon-kitna-cincinnati-bengals-qb-image-ta

Archived