Should Holders in High School American Football be ranked?

cLuTcHy

42 minutes ago, dont care said:

Leaning a ball still takes no skill. My senior year I got injured and helped the LS and kicker practice kicks by holding for them. I needed no instruction to figure out what to do. This thread is incredibly dumb.

I wouldn’t say that leaning a ball takes no skill, as the Holder has to know where to lean it based on the position the kicking team must kick from on the field. Not only does this take place but the holder also has to make sure that the ball is spun so that the laces are facing the goal posts. Since you said you did this in “practice” you would already know this. But may you keep in mind that this all takes place in a spit of a second and if you don’t have as consistent of a long snapper it is hard to predict where the snap will go. Which proves as I said earlier as a Holder needs to be able to keep calm during the heat of the moment. I asked for your opinion and received it which is awesome but I didn’t ask for your personal beliefs on whether this should be a thread or not as I’m just someone whose trying to start a conversation.

Yeah, I've never heard of someone being only the holder. As has been mentioned, it's always the punter or backup QB. If not them, it's still someone who primarily plays another position. I guess in high school I could see it, but college and pros aren't going to spend a roster spot on someone who solely holds. It's the position most primed for a multi-positional player.

This is kind of  ironic, for me, since my cousin just finished his high school career as the long snapper (and he'll probably play college) and the holder, who's a junior, is my niece's boyfriend. Although he's also the backup QB (probably starting QB next year) and sometimes defensive back.

If I had a baby boy, I'd be teaching that kid to long snap from the time he could stand on two feet.  Long snapping is definitely a skill that not everyone can learn, but man if you can get good at it, you're basically guaranteed a roster spot on a college team and possibly an NFL job making at least the league minimum, but without taking even 1% of the beating the real players do. 

I know back in the day, the long snapper also had some position he was listed at - whether tight end, or maybe even OL, but now all I see is LS.  Does any team have a LS that's a real player?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

If I had a baby boy, I'd be teaching that kid to long snap from the time he could stand on two feet.  Long snapping is definitely a skill that not everyone can learn, but man if you can get good at it, you're basically guaranteed a roster spot on a college team and possibly an NFL job making at least the league minimum, but without taking even 1% of the beating the real players do. 

I know back in the day, the long snapper also had some position he was listed at - whether tight end, or maybe even OL, but now all I see is LS.  Does any team have a LS that's a real player?

A successful long snapper can play 15-20 years with one team.  The Cowboys have only had two long snappers in 15 years.  

Eagles radio announcers were just commenting how the only action their punter got all day was as the holder for 4 FGs and 3 PATs, and then goes on to say "we minimize that job, but the holder has to be perfect".   Merrill Reese and Mike Quick clearly read this thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Eagles radio announcers were just commenting how the only action their punter got all day was as the holder for 4 FGs and 3 PATs, and then goes on to say "we minimize that job, but the holder has to be perfect".   Merrill Reese and Mike Quick clearly read this thread.

That’s amazing! Would have loved to hear that live! Though their might not be a roster spot ever reserved for just a Holder it’s great to hear that they are giving the job some cred! 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, BBTV said:

I was going to say the Vikings used one as an injury replacement when Kevin McDermott lost the tip of his finger who had LSed in college but was a D-Lineman with the Vikings. Googling teels me that McDermott returned to the game. I do remember the Vikings having a former Long Snapper on the D-Line however

• 4 weeks later...

Archived