Just caught up with the thread. All these are great but I love the Astros powder blue the best. Reminds me of the classic Phillies, and I don't know how intentional that was. About the only one I'm not really the most wild about is the Dodgers/PCL Angels, which looks kind of basic and generic.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! I've worked on shortening up the fibers of the wheat stalks, but I'm not sure what you mean with your suggestion about the horizontal tops.

I meant something like this (though maybe with fewer fibers) so that the tops of the fibers are open.

LEMgc26.png

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice idea! Here you go:

spacer.png

Good start... but the Golden Gate Bridge specifically isn't really suited to the A's.  I think the Bay Bridge, which starts in Oakland, would be better. You could rip that bridge's tower from the current Warriors logo (with some edits to make it symmetrical.)

That full psychedelic A's set looks great; the home jersey is gorgeous! I'd love to see an "Oakland" wordmark for the away jersey. I think the green jersey would look good without number/script outlines, to match the cap better.

The white star is an improvement for Texas! I guess it would look more flag-like if the stripes behind the star were the blue ones, but no worries if you'd rather not make the jersey red-dominant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

I meant something like this (though maybe with fewer fibers) so that the tops of the fibers are open.

LEMgc26.png

Got it! Here you go:

spacer.png

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

Good start... but the Golden Gate Bridge specifically isn't really suited to the A's.  I think the Bay Bridge, which starts in Oakland, would be better. You could rip that bridge's tower from the current Warriors logo (with some edits to make it symmetrical.)

Good call. How about something like this?

spacer.png

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

That full psychedelic A's set looks great; the home jersey is gorgeous! I'd love to see an "Oakland" wordmark for the away jersey. I think the green jersey would look good without number/script outlines, to match the cap better.

Thanks! I agree about the green set looking better without outlines:

spacer.png

I've also worked up a road set with an "Oakland" script in both gold and standard gray:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know what you think!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 5/31/2022 at 1:39 PM, Coiler said:

Just caught up with the thread. All these are great but I love the Astros powder blue the best. Reminds me of the classic Phillies, and I don't know how intentional that was. About the only one I'm not really the most wild about is the Dodgers/PCL Angels, which looks kind of basic and generic.

Thanks! Your feedback is always valued.

Let's jump over to the state of Missouri for the next pair of teams!

ROYALS x 1942 CARDINALS
spacer.png

My Royals design is based on what's easily my favorite uniform in Cardinals history, their 1942-50 zipper-down set set with t-bars and navy crowned cap. I was originally going to go with blue piping, but gold ended up looking much more distinctive. 

CARDINALS x 2002 ROYALS

spacer.png

My Cards design imagines what the team would look like had they went all-in on the Black for Black's Sake trend of the early 2000s the way the Royals did. I went with a vest style jersey design with black replacing navy blue, while a drop shadowed version of the the birds-on-bat-less script comes from their 1956 set. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Royals & Cardinals 6/2)
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! Your feedback is always valued.

Let's jump over to the state of Missouri for the next pair of teams!

ROYALS x 1942 CARDINALS
spacer.png

My Royals design is based on what's easily my favorite uniform in Cardinals history, their 1942-50 zipper-down set set with t-bars and navy crowned cap. I was originally going to go with blue piping, but gold ended up looking much more distinctive. 

CARDINALS x 2002 ROYALS

spacer.png

My Cards design imagines what the team would look like had they went all-in on the Black for Black's Sake trend of the early 2000s the way the Royals did. I went with a vest style jersey design with black replacing navy blue, while a drop shadowed version of the the birds-on-bat-less script comes from their 1956 set. 

C&C appreciated! 

Please, PLEASE pick another Royals era than the early aughts. Those uniforms were hideous on the Royals and would be even worse on the Cards. 

20 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Please, PLEASE pick another Royals era than the early aughts. Those uniforms were hideous on the Royals and would be even worse on the Cards. 

Heh. I don't disagree. The problem is, with the exception of their dalliance with black unis in the early 2000s, the Royals identity has remained quite consistent over their 50+ years of existence, so there really isn't another distinctive era I could style the Cardinals after. Even powder blue road unis are something the Cards did and are doing again now. 

Up next are the two Canadian teams!

BLUE JAYS x 1981 EXPOS
spacer.png

I gave the Jays the racing striped, pinwheel cap-wearing look of the 1980-91 Expos. The number style is consistent with what the Jays used at the time, minus the split design. 

EXPOS x 2001 BLUE JAYS
spacer.png

It's not a look I'm particularly fond of, but I decided to try the Expos in the style of those early 2000s Blue Jays. I redid the "EXPOS" script to try to convey the same feeling of movement the "eMb" logo possesses. 

C&C appreciated as always! Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Blue Jays & Expos 6/3)

On one hand, they don't look like the best of this set. But on the other, I think they're constrained by their inspirations. Yes, the Jays look generic and the Expos look tacky, but "tacky" defines the 2000s Jays who you used as the base.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:41 AM, Coiler said:

On one hand, they don't look like the best of this set. But on the other, I think they're constrained by their inspirations. Yes, the Jays look generic and the Expos look tacky, but "tacky" defines the 2000s Jays who you used as the base.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll work up a red "Canada Day" set for the Expos as an alternative.

I'm back with another relocation set!

RED SOX x 1972 BRAVES
spacer.png

For the Red Sox, I once again took inspiration from those 1970s Braves uniforms, this time borrowing from the local NBA team and replacing the sleeve feathers with four leaf clovers. The script "Boston" was used by the 1941-45 Boston Braves

BRAVES x 1908 RED SOX
spacer.png

A very spartan design mean to showcase the tomahawk on the front of the jersey a la the large red stocking on Boston's 1908 uniforms. I also reversed the colors of the Braves' striped stirrups to emphasize red over navy. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Red Sox & Braves 6/10)
On 6/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Coiler said:

Now these I like. Both look great!

Thanks! 

Next up are the Royals and A's!

ROYALS x 1973 A's 
spacer.png

I gave the Royals a mono-royal blue look, a la the A's all green and all gold unis from 1973. I'm surprised this isn't something the Royals actually tried in the '70s, as I think they could've really pulled it off. I also worked up a blackletter style "R" in the style of the A's cap/jersey logo. 

A's x 1985 ROYALS 

spacer.png

It made sense to try the A's in powder blue, a color they never used but which the Royals famously wore during the 1970-80s and have since brought back. White script and numbers were a must since that was such a distinguishing feature of those road unis. Balancing powder blue with green, gold and white trim was a bit tricky but I think I pulled it off.

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Royals & A's 6/14)
3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! 

Next up are the Royals and A's!

ROYALS x 1973 A's 
spacer.png

I gave the Royals a mono-royal blue look, a la the A's all green and all gold unis from 1973. I'm surprised this isn't something the Royals actually tried in the '70s, as I think they could've really pulled it off. I also worked up a blackletter style "R" in the style of the A's cap/jersey logo. 

A's x 1985 ROYALS 

spacer.png

It made sense to try the A's in powder blue, a color they never used but which the Royals famously wore during the 1970-80s and have since brought back. White script and numbers were a must since that was such a distinguishing feature of those road unis. Balancing powder blue with green, gold and white trim was a bit tricky but I think I pulled it off.

C&C appreciated! 

Powder blue does NOT look right on the Athletics, but I’m not sure of any other way you could’ve emulated the Royals’ classic look. 

The A's look surprisingly good in powder blue! (It'd work for the Portland move they've considered :/) I'd think going solid color script & numbers would be better and look truer to the Royals inspo though (I'd lean towards green, but white would be in the spirit of that...) Also I wonder if a different pants stripe would work better.

Royals in blackletter look quite good! Another one I'd be curious about a full set (though not all monochrome!) Perhaps a little crown could be skewed to fit that diagonal stroke of the R.

The Royals-à-la-St. Louis set is quite nice, and using the Monarchs monogram is a good touch! Would tilting the script to be horizontal work, to be more Cards-y? I could also imagine a bat (or scepter?) running the eye of the R, maybe with a crown dangling around the end.

No slight to your BFBS Cards set, which is interesting and well-executed, but I would be curious to see another take. Perhaps in powder blue.

Your green & red Red Sox take is close but is a bit underwhelming compared to your gorgeous Brewers one... I think having a symmetrical clover in white would help. The script and cap logo are nice though!

The Atlanta axe one is definitely a clever idea though, even if it's not my favorite.

Anyways, it's been more good work here!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, vtgco said:

The A's look surprisingly good in powder blue! (It'd work for the Portland move they've considered :/) I'd think going solid color script & numbers would be better and look truer to the Royals inspo though (I'd lean towards green, but white would be in the spirit of that...) Also I wonder if a different pants stripe would work better.

It was tricky with the A's because instead of working with just one color (royal blue) I had to balance two. For your suggestion, I went with white scripts and numbers because 1) it looked better than with green and 2) it more obviously references the Royals design:

spacer.png

I also tweaked the pant stripes.

Royals in blackletter look quite good! Another one I'd be curious about a full set (though not all monochrome!) Perhaps a little crown could be skewed to fit that diagonal stroke of the R.

Good idea! Here's a full set with the crown. I also added front numbers, which is something I meant to do initially:

ROYALS x 1973 A's HOME
spacer.png

ROYALS x 1973 A's ROAD
spacer.png

ROYALS x 1973 A's HOME/ROAD
spacer.png

And here's a closer look at the crown logo:

spacer.png

The Royals-à-la-St. Louis set is quite nice, and using the Monarchs monogram is a good touch! Would tilting the script to be horizontal work, to be more Cards-y? I could also imagine a bat (or scepter?) running the eye of the R, maybe with a crown dangling around the end.

No slight to your BFBS Cards set, which is interesting and well-executed, but I would be curious to see another take. Perhaps in powder blue.

HAHA! Would you believe me if I said I had the exact same scepter idea for the Royals? I didn't go through with it because I wasn't sure how it would turn out. The fact that you suggested it however prompted me to revisit the idea, and I'm glad I did because I love how it turned out:

spacer.png

spacer.png

To be honest, I didn't even think about the Cards in powder blue because it's something they've done before so I'm not sure what I'd do differently to make them more "Royalsy." But if you have a specific suggestion I'd be more than happy to try it out. 

Your green & red Red Sox take is close but is a bit underwhelming compared to your gorgeous Brewers one... I think having a symmetrical clover in white would help. The script and cap logo are nice though!

Easy fix. I admit it's much cleaner and still conveys the same idea:

spacer.png

Thanks again for all the feedback!

On 6/15/2022 at 1:56 AM, Bmac said:

This is a fun series! That Brewers business is incredible. Keep up the creativity!

On 6/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, Coiler said:

Love the "1973 A's Royals", the funky Finley style adapted to another team. The 1985 Royals A's doesn't look bad either (I don't mind blue because the A's wore blue in Philadelphia)

Thanks a lot! Hope you continue to follow along. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It's been a little while, but up next are the Nationals and Expos!

NATIONALS x 2004 EXPOS
spacer.png

Since I've done the Nats in the the powder blue, racing striped style of the Expos for a previous series, I wanted to try something different this time around, focusing instead on the pinstriped look they used from the mid '90s up until relocation in 2004. I used the logo of the Winnipeg Whips (former AAA affiliate of the Expos) for the cap logo and also fashioned it into a new roundel design for the sleeve. Big thanks to @Carolingian Steamroller for lending me his "Nats" script from his MLB 2020 series

EXPOS x 2005 NATIONALS
spacer.png

The Expos are modeled after the present day Nationals while keeping blue as the dominant color. The Montreal script "M" used for the jersey and cap is a little wonky, so if someone has a better suggestion please let me know. Powder blue beveling on the numbers alludes to the Expos' old road uniforms

C&C appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Nats & Expos 6/24)
On 6/25/2022 at 6:58 AM, Coiler said:

Love the whimsical W on the Nationals, and don't mind the Montreal M.

(Maybe "Nationaux"-the closest French word to "Nationals?" for one of them?)

Whimsical, that's the right word for it!

The "Nationaux" idea is a good suggestion. I'll think about it for a future update.

Up today are the Twins and Senators!

TWINS x 1956 SENATORS 

spacer.png

The Twins are depicted in the pinstriped, zippered style of the 1956-58 Washington Senators. Gone is the "TC" monogram, replaced by the "M" logo, rendered in a 3-D style (with matching block numbers) courtesy of @Carolingian Steamroller. I'm normally not a big fan of the Twins' use of Kasota gold, but I decided to incorporate it here to distinguish the design from my countless other navy & red team concepts. 

SENATORS x 1973 TWINS
spacer.png

This one is pretty straightforward. I dropped the Senators' 1959-60 home script onto the Twins' 1970s powder blue threads (opting for a traditional button down uniform as opposed to a pullover/sansabelt style, however). The Nationals' "W" cap logo goes unchanged. 

C&C appreciated! I have a few teams left to post before wrapping up the series. 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Identities Series (Twins & Senators 6/29)
On 6/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, Coiler said:

The Sens/1973 Twins looks like the most generically 1970s MLB uniform imaginable.

Not sure if this is supposed to be a compliment or not. :therock: It's basically just the '70s Twins with a different script and cap logo.

Anyway, up next are the Orioles and Browns!

ORIOLES x 1944 BROWNS
spacer.png

I tried to give both the Browns and O's distinctive designs, despite the teams sharing a lot of visual DNA. For the Birds, I went with St. Louis' most interesting look, which also happens to be from their lone pennant-winning season. There's a lot here to love, from the solid colored placket to the T-bars to the white crowned cap. The radially arched "ORIOLES" script comes from the clock at Camden Yards, an idea I got from @Paul Lucas.

BROWNS x 1969 ORIOLES
spacer.png

I reimagined the Browns in the style of the sleeveless 1969 O's. Naturally, Louie the Elf replaces the cartoon bird on the cap. I also inverted the colors of the Orioles' classic sock pattern to emphasize brown over orange. 

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Love 3