2026 FIFA World Cup (USA/Mexico/Canada)

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Here's a simple solution to subverting the Asian continent conundrum: Put the 2038 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand! If the Women's competition was hosted there, then those two countries can host the Men's competition.

I don't think they're bidding, but it would work. I wonder how many of those stadiums would have to be expanded more for the men? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think they're bidding, but it would work. I wonder how many of those stadiums would have to be expanded more for the men? 

That's a good question. Most of the stadiums used for this past Women's World Cup lowered their total capacity for the matches. However, that's not saying much as a few stadiums had low capacity to begin with. Here's a closer look at the stadium's capacities:

spacer.png

It's reasonable to assume that the potential venue for the Men's World Cup Final would be Stadium Australia. As per Wikipedia, this stadium boasts a maximum capacity of 82,500* for sports events with a rectangular field configuration. However, it can be adjusted to accommodate up to 115,000** (utilized during the 2000 Summer Olympics).

From the list provided, it seems that at least seven stadiums would need significant enhancements to accommodate large audiences of 50,000+ for the matches. Additionally, with the expansion of the Men's World Cup to 48 teams, it is possible that three more stadiums will be added to this list:

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

That's a good question. Most of the stadiums used for this past Women's World Cup lowered their total capacity for the matches. However, that's not saying much as a few stadiums had low capacity to begin with. Here's a closer look at the stadium's capacities:

spacer.png

It's reasonable to assume that the potential venue for the Men's World Cup Final would be Stadium Australia. As per Wikipedia, this stadium boasts a maximum capacity of 82,500* for sports events with a rectangular field configuration. However, it can be adjusted to accommodate up to 115,000** (utilized during the 2000 Summer Olympics).

From the list provided, it seems that at least seven stadiums would need significant enhancements to accommodate large audiences of 50,000+ for the matches. Additionally, with the expansion of the Men's World Cup to 48 teams, it is possible that three more stadiums will be added to this list:

spacer.png

I think finding another partner nation would be needed to, based on costs for temporary or permanent construction. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 months later...

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/world-cup-2026-schedule-announcement-live-updates-final/r7oDr4oG9qK4/

Mexico (Azteca) will host the first match on 11 June 2026. Canada (Toronto) and the USA (SoFi) play the next day. MetLife will host the final, Atlanta and Dallas get the semi-finals. Miami will host the third place game. USMNT will play two games at SoFi and one game in Seattle. Canada plays one game in Toronto and two games in Vancouver. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/world-cup-2026-schedule-announcement-live-updates-final/r7oDr4oG9qK4/

Mexico (Azteca) will host the first match on 11 June 2026. Canada (Toronto) and the USA (SoFi) play the next day. MetLife will host the final, Atlanta and Dallas get the semi-finals. Miami will host the third place game. USMNT will play two games at SoFi and one game in Seattle. Canada plays one game in Toronto and two games in Vancouver. 

North America won't be confused as to what to do with those stadiums once the World Cup ends.  FIFA will be like "Okay LIGA MX, Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and the NFL, you can have your stadiums back."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

North America won't be confused as to what to do with those stadiums once the World Cup ends.  FIFA will be like "Okay LIGA MX, Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps and the NFL, you can have your stadiums back."

NFL will be like, "We don't need 'em yet".

NFL players will be like, "Keep 'em longer. F*** preseason games".

• Like 1

Kinda surprised that MetLife gets the final, although I suppose it makes sense to nudge it as east as possible for timezone reasons, and you can't beat New York from a hosting amenities perspective, even though public transit from there to MetLife is a nightmare.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Kinda surprised that MetLife gets the final, although I suppose it makes sense to nudge it as east as possible for timezone reasons, and you can't beat New York from a hosting amenities perspective, even though public transit from there to MetLife is a nightmare.

Noon kickoff in MetLife. 9am pacific. Gives Europe an early evening to late evening kick. 

• Like 1

Due to FIFA Rules, the NFL Stadiums and BMO Field will be temporarily renamed:

• AT&T Stadium (Dallas Stadium)
  • BMO Field (Toronto Stadium)
  • GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Stadium)
  • Gillette Stadium (Boston Stadium)
  • Hard Rock Stadium (Miami Stadium)
  • Levi’s Stadium (San Francisco Bay Area Stadium)
  • Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia Stadium)
  • Lumen Field (Seattle Stadium)
  • Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta Stadium)
  • MetLife Stadium (New York New Jersey Stadium)
  • NRG Stadium (Houston Stadium)
  • SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles Stadium)

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

• BMO Field (Toronto Stadium)
  • GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Stadium)
  • Gillette Stadium (Boston Stadium)
  • Hard Rock Stadium (Miami Stadium)
  • Levi’s Stadium (San Francisco Bay Area Stadium)
  • Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia Stadium)
  • Lumen Field (Seattle Stadium)
  • Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta Stadium)
  • MetLife Stadium (New York New Jersey Stadium)
  • NRG Stadium (Houston Stadium)
  • SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles Stadium)

I wonder how the naming rights holders feel about this? Is there anything in their contracts that will require a 'make good' by each of the stadium owners?

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I wonder how the naming rights holders feel about this? Is there anything in their contracts that will require a 'make good' by each of the stadium owners?

That's a possibility, but it could be dictated in the contracts that if events are hosted at the stadium that require the standard name to be replaced for generic names there is no fiscal responsibility by either side.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

That's a possibility, but it could be dictated in the contracts that if events are hosted at the stadium that require the standard name to be replaced for generic names there is no fiscal responsibility by either side.

If I'm AT&T, for example, I'm not sure I sign that contract with that provision. 🤷‍♂️

It's where I sit.

14 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If I'm AT&T, for example, I'm not sure I sign that contract with that provision. 🤷‍♂️

Its protocol in every World Cup to temporarily rename the stadiums as FIFA controls specific sponsors.  It dates as far back as the 2006 event in Germany from what I can tell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Its protocol in every World Cup to temporarily rename the stadiums as FIFA controls specific sponsors.  It dates as far back as the 2006 event in Germany from what I can tell.

Thanks - it's outside of my norm, so I didn't know that. Presumably then it is written into a contract like that.

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

14 hours ago, TBGKon said:

14 hours ago, ruttep said:

Nobody in New Jersey is happy about being called "New York New Jersey" lol

15 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Since this has been the way in FIFA forever, probably not. Sometimes a stadium "forgets" to cover the stadium sponsors logos and get a talking to. AT&T also has a soda deal with Pepsi, but will have to serve Coca Cola during World Cup games due to sponsorship. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2024-02-05 at 6:23 PM, MJWalker45 said:

65589ed0-c3ce-11ee-9fe5-d755aad9b22e

Game times won't be locked in until the draw, but we have the full stadium calendar.

And to what should be the surprise of no one, the US gets almost everything past the round of 32.

16 hours ago, GDAWG said:

What exactly was wrong with "Jerryworld" or "The Death Star"?

54 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

And to what should be the surprise of no one, the US gets almost everything past the round of 32.

What exactly was wrong with "Jerryworld" or "The Death Star"?

This was pretty much known going in, because this was agreed ahead of time. It's why Azteca hosts the first game instead of SoFi.  As far as the nicknames, Fox is still covering this World Cup so I'd expect them to still call it by those names, especially that mop headed goofball that made a career out of a middling national team career. At least until FIFA complains. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png