New Soldier Field stadium plans unveiled

TrueYankee26

Red Stars.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

29 minutes ago, CS85 said:

@Sodboy13 (quoted above) and @The_Admiral can opine with more clarity on the politics and local points

Here's what I can offer: Your average citizen has no interest in going into the weeds on political horse trading or finance structures. What they do know is that this is billions of dollars promised to a team that hasn't done dick-and-a-half for most, if not all, of their entire lifetimes. The last time the city did this for the same team, the end result was a concrete dump nobody likes that went way over budget. And meanwhile, they're reading about all this while they wait for an 'L' train or a bus that was supposed to be here 20 minutes ago and has since disappeared from the tracker, and in that time they also read the story about another robbery crew making a run around town with no chance of getting apprehended. Now public sentiment may not matter much when it comes billions in public money to billionaires, but like I said earlier, the politicians actually in charge of the purse strings here have expressed a profound disinterest. It ain't the '80s or the '90s anymore and enough of the public has gotten wise to these scams that it's trickled up to a good number of the officials dependent on their votes.

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So when this all blows up in Kevin Warren's face, do they go back to Arlington Heights?

No, because that would require the Bears to actually build something on  their own dime. So they'll stay in Soldier Field, sell the Arlington land at a loss,  and occasionally mention that Soldier Field is no longer the smallest NFL stadium because the Bills' new one only holds 58,000.

That's the ideal outcome, anyway.

This magnificent new lakefront dome would only seat 65,000 instead of Soldier Field's 61,000. It would still be too small for Super Bowls and World Cups and NCAA Final Fours and probably Olympics. This is indescribably stupid! Go away!

• Like 1

What I witnessed today is one of the most bizarre presentations I've ever seen. 

A pastor thanked God for giving us Kevin Warren and prayed that the Bears would be granted public funding for a stadium. So if you've been watching the Bears hire like five different "chief stadium officers" and asked "what is is that Kevin Warren actually does," the answer is "tell the clergy to praise God for his existence." Then Kevin Warren said that he almost missed a Beyonce concert because it rained and that with a domed stadium, she and others would do 20-night residencies here. He said "it is a fixed roof dome. It will be very bright. You will need to wear sunglasses," which was a Casio preset and a Wheaties slogan away from being Wesley Willis lyrics. He asked "who wouldn't want to go to Chicago for the Super Bowl," to which the answer is "everyone." The stadium rendering is just Allegiant Stadium with the field switched out, which is at least better than the Arlington Heights rendering that was just an opaque white cube.  And then they got coy about maybe running back to Arlington Heights anyway. I saw this on my lunch break, so I can only assume that when someone asked Brandon Johnson how they're going to pay for this with "no new taxes" while also requiring billions of dollars in taxes, he said "help help I'm having a panic attack" and ran away.

They obviously did this today so that everyone would forget about it when they draft Caleb Williams. I don't think they thought any of this through.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well at least the PR side of it was effective. Brilliant move to piss everyone off 30 hours before you select your next quarterback of the future to ruin.

Scam pastors are having a moment in town after Brandon appointed two to the CTA and RTA boards last week. Maybe Creflo Dollar will do a 20-night residency at the new place if we turn Northerly Island back into an airstrip for his private jet.

• Like 1

You can't take the L to the University of Chicago because a pastor had the tracks torn down for his real estate investments. What the hell is this guy doing?

Saw the chat for this on the Bears YouTube channel and the response in the chat when they showed the renderings was "parking?" or "where's the parking" like every three comments.  

You'd have to be a grade-A moron at Bovine University to think you can and should drive right up to the doorstep of a building on the Chicago lakefront, but the parking doesn't exist because this stadium won't exist.

• LOL 2

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what's wrong with Soldier Field? Doesn't it have historical significance? I know it's old as dirt, but so is Lambeau, Wrigley, Fenway, and half the stadiums in college. If it's just a matter of modernization, couldn't some renos be done and save say, $4 billion dollars?

sig.png

There's a lot wrong with Soldier Field. It's too small, the field doesn't drain right, it's a pain in the ass to drive to, nor is it terribly accessible by transit relative to Wrigley, Comiskey, the United Center, UIC Pavilion, Northwestern's stadium, the new DePaul arena, and pretty much every other sports venue. The only one harder to not-drive to is the Horizon. Most of all, it's absolutely hideous, which is amplified by the Packers doing a terrific job improving Lambeau at the same time.

But it's exactly what the Bears asked for. They wanted seats close to the sidelines, many more luxury boxes, and a low capacity to goose demand and keep out the poors, and that's basically what they got. They were gifted a stadium on their terms and 20 years later asked for another. And thanked God for Kevin Warren. Despicable.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what's wrong with Soldier Field? Doesn't it have historical significance? I know it's old as dirt, but so is Lambeau, Wrigley, Fenway, and half the stadiums in college. If it's just a matter of modernization, couldn't some renos be done and save say, $4 billion dollars?

It was modernized, but disastrously so. Not that that rationalizes everything that's happened since, but it does explain it. The three stadiums you've mentioned did modernization right. Somewhat shockingly competently in the Ricketts family's case.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

This magnificent new lakefront dome would only seat 65,000 instead of Soldier Field's 61,000. It would still be too small for Super Bowls and World Cups and NCAA Final Fours and probably Olympics. This is indescribably stupid! Go away!

The NFL already got rid of that rule. They don't bid out hosting anymore. They just pick where they want.

Allegiant Stadium only held 61k for the Super Bowl. 

Never been to a game, but I've been outside of it. It's like a spaceship crashed into the Roman Coliseum. An ugly hybrid of old marble stone and aluminum metal.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

1 hour ago, Digby said:

It was modernized, but disastrously so. Not that that rationalizes everything that's happened since, but it does explain it. The three stadiums you've mentioned did modernization right. Somewhat shockingly competently in the Ricketts family's case.

Is it "old as dirt"?  Is it "modernized"?  

I look at Soldier Field like the last Yankee Stadium.  I've always thought it was a brand-new stadium (1976 in Yankee Stadium's case), with only parts of the facade remaining.  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh, and Warren also said the stadium would draw 77,000 each to the men's and women's Final Fours. And then he said Chicago would get World Cup games. GENIUS, the next World Cup in the United States is in two years; when, pray tell, do you think the next one will be? At the rate they're going, the Bears would be replacing the new stadium before it ever came back here!

I loathe this team.

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Other than the first 60 rows of the main bowl, nothing in Lambeau is older than 1994ish. 

It's where I sit.

Yeah, Lambeau Field and Soldier Field are both Ships of Theseus, except more a Lifeboat of Theseus in Chicago's case.  Even with Yankee Stadium before and after the renovation, they looked like the same place. 2003 Soldier Field's seating bowl is a completely different shape from the original, which lopped off the end of the stadium and actually had more seats facing the endzones than the sidelines.

EDIT: Aerial view of a stadium, Soldier Field, Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Cook  County, Illinois Stretched Canvas Print

Weird old building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Oh, and Warren also said the stadium would draw 77,000 each to the men's and women's Final Fours. And then he said Chicago would get World Cup games. GENIUS, the next World Cup in the United States is in two years; when, pray tell, do you think the next one will be? At the rate they're going, the Bears would be replacing the new stadium before it ever came back here!

I loathe this team.

Not to tangent, but the way FIFA is going with the World Cup, it's going to be about every 20 years or so North America will get the games again. They're to the point even Europe and the Americas are having multi-country hosts. It's going to start rotating between The Americas, Europe, Asia/Oceania, and back with consistency since they're not going to keep finding the Qatars, South Africas, or Brazils of the world going into nation-changing debt to build the stadiums for one event and then sit vacant and dilapidated in short order.

• Like 3