2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

200.gif

me rn

Thanks boys. Honestly? As sad as it sounds? Going out in Round 2 like this... it was fun. 

Go Leafs Go 

I was pulling for you guys. The Leafs fanbase is more than deserving of tasting the fruits of success, even if it is just a ECF or Cup Finals appearance. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

T1oYViW.png

Just now, Glover said:

I was pulling for you guys. The Leafs fanbase is more than deserving of tasting the fruits of success, even if it is just a ECF or Cup Finals appearance. 

And instead, a fanbase that basically just cared about hockey last week now will pretend like they were rooting for FLA all this time.

• Yawn 2
  • Sad 1

The Leafs can at least say they've killed the two biggest memes that have hounded them for over a decade, so there's that. Honestly, even just making it to Round 2 will be huge for them going forwards, since it finally removes all of that pressure.

I'm also betting a particular subset of fans across multiple fanbases are frothing at the mouth in rage at the Panthers and Hurricanes being an ECF, calling it"Bettman-rigged" even though it makes no sense to rig it so Toronto doesn't go to the ECF lmao

• LOL 1

It is probably the pessimistic fan coming out in me (thank you Cleveland sports), but I don’t see the Canes winning against Florida. Bobrovsky is hot and our offense in the postseason has heavily leaned on bottom 6 guys grinding out goals. We will need more then gritty goals to win this series. 

Our defense should  be solid and keep us alive, but if we don’t get production from our top players it won’t matter much. If Aho and Necas can play in regular season form we have a chance. If Jarvis and Kotkaniemi can just take turns and make an impact each game we have a shot. 

T1oYViW.png

8 minutes ago, Glover said:

It is probably the pessimistic fan coming out in me (thank you Cleveland sports), but I don’t see the Canes winning against Florida. Bobrovsky is hot and our offense in the postseason has heavily leaned on bottom 6 guys grinding out goals. We will need more then gritty goals to win this series. 

Our defense should  be solid and keep us alive, but if we don’t get production from our top players it won’t matter much. If Aho and Necas can play in regular season form we have a chance. If Jarvis and Kotkaniemi can just take turns and make an impact each game we have a shot. 

Carolina just dispatched a Devils team that has far more speed than CAR. The Panthers are not as fast as the Devils.

19 minutes ago, Unocal said:

And instead, a fanbase that basically just cared about hockey last week now will pretend like they were rooting for FLA all this time.

I get where you’re coming from, not going to beat around the bush. But on the other hand the Panthers have talent and will probably be a playoff regular for a little bit. This run, which is something they haven’t seen since 1996, could  help create a solid fanbase. 

As a former Nashville (well…Murfreesboro) resident, the Predators making the Finals was the spark that helped ignite a pretty passionate fanbase. Prior to that Cup Finals run they were an okay fanbase. Cheap tickets could be had most nights. After that Cup Finals run though, it was difficult to get tickets. Not saying the same will happen for the Panthers, but it can’t hurt. 

• Like 3

T1oYViW.png

2 minutes ago, Glover said:

I get where you’re coming from, not going to beat around the bush. But on the other hand the Panthers have talent and will probably be a playoff regular for a little bit. This run, which is something they haven’t seen since 1996, could help create a solid fanbase. 

As a former Nashville (well…Murfreesboro) resident, the Predators making the Finals was the spark that helped ignite a pretty passionate fanbase. Prior to that Cup Finals run they were an okay fanbase. Cheap tickets could be had most nights. After that Cup Finals run though, it was difficult to get tickets. Not saying the same will happen for the Panthers, but it can’t hurt. 

Exactly, it feels really :censored:ing weird for people to simultaneously go "These teams :censored:ing suck, nobody supports them and they should move" and "These new fans of this franchise are all fake, they only just started loving hockey so they're not real fans!"

Like, shouldn't you celebrate a long-moribund franchise finally getting footing in their market again and potentially bringing an influx of new fans to share your love of the sport? Why celebrate a team failing and complain about it succeeding solely based on its geographical location? It's stupid, and it's not conducive to bringing new fans into hockey if they get screamed at and treated like dog:censored: for supporting "the wrong team".

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Carolina just dispatched a Devils team that has far more speed than CAR. The Panthers are not as fast as the Devils.

As a Cleveland sports fan it isn’t in my nature to be optimistic about my teams in the playoffs haha. I’m hungry for more, but also happy to be here. 

T1oYViW.png

29 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm also betting a particular subset of fans across multiple fanbases are frothing at the mouth in rage at the Panthers and Hurricanes being an ECF, calling it"Bettman-rigged" even though it makes no sense to rig it so Toronto doesn't go to the ECF lmao

I don't know if it's because the two teams left in the East aren't considered the best remaining (and I guess they don't deserve to be there?), or it's the elitism from the Northern fans thinking hockey belongs to them.

Either way I don't care, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these teams in the SCF.

1 minute ago, Glover said:

As a Cleveland sports fan it isn’t in my nature to be optimistic about my teams in the playoffs haha. I’m hungry for more, but also happy to be here. 

Another factor that should be noted- CAR unlike last year has shown they can win on the road (3 times!) in the spring

And going into FLA's arena won't be quite as initmidating as BOS/NYR last year or NYI in round 1

• Like 1

Just now, Unocal said:

Another factor that should be noted- CAR unlike last year has shown they can win on the road (3 times!) in the spring

And going into FLA's arena won't be quite as initmidating as BOS/NYR last year or NYI in round 1

I won’t be upset if you’re right, that is for sure. I’d love nothing more than to add a Canes jersey with a 2023 Stanley Cup Finals patch to my jersey collection. It’ll look good next to my Irbe and Commodore Cup Finals jerseys. 

T1oYViW.png

10 minutes ago, Glover said:

I get where you’re coming from, not going to beat around the bush. But on the other hand the Panthers have talent and will probably be a playoff regular for a little bit. This run, which is something they haven’t seen since 1996, could  help create a solid fanbase. 

NSH was showing up for Preds games long before that 2017 run. They drew good crowds with those Vokoun/Sullivan/Kariya mid-2000s teams and of course the Shea Weber/Pekka Rinne (is too good right now) squads that preceded Subban

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unocal said:

NSH was showing up for Preds games long before that 2017 run. They drew good crowds with those Vokoun/Sullivan/Kariya mid-2000s teams and of course the Shea Weber/Pekka Rinne (is too good right now) squads that preceded Subban

I moved to the area in 2014 and it was a good fanbase, but tickets could be had for $30-$50 in the secondary market depending on opponent and day of the week. After the Finals appearance? It was like $90 per ticket for a Tuesday night game. 

My point was more that Florida might be able to build on this run and get a solid core to their fanbase. I am not married to this take, but when the team has success it never hurts. 

T1oYViW.png

Just now, Glover said:

I moved to the area in 2014 and it was a good fanbase, but tickets could be had for $30-$50 in the secondary market depending on opponent and day of the week. After the Finals appearance? It was like $90 per ticket for a Tuesday night game. 

My point was more that Florida might be able to build on this run and get a solid core to their fanbase. I am not married to this take, but when the team has success it never hurts. 

If this doesn't improve their fanbase, nothing will.

The Marlins won 2 World Series and that didn't grow their fanbase.

Just now, Unocal said:

If this doesn't improve their fanbase, nothing will.

The Marlins won 2 World Series and that didn't grow their fanbase.

The key is to be consistently successful, not purge the team the moment the World Series trophy is set down. 

• Like 3

Just now, Red Comet said:

The key is to be consistently successful, not purge the team the moment the World Series trophy is set down. 

But given the hard salary cap who knows if Tkachuk even stays in FLA for the remainder of his contract?