2022-23 NHL Season

BrySmalls

Now that I actually do pop over to Ridleylash's home base and see the Moral Clarity Brigade firing off "don't drop the soap" and other such rape jokes, I don't feel quite as guilty.

• LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Now that I actually do pop over to Ridleylash's home base and see the Moral Clarity Brigade firing off "don't drop the soap" and other such rape jokes, I don't feel quite as guilty.

The r/Hawks posters are, ah, something. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Even though I really have no love for Chicago, I do kinda get it, ultimately what would stripping them of 1st round picks from a few years in the future have done ? It seems like SA is so prevalent within hockey, at literally every level (so it's not just a "If it has competitive disadvantages they'll be more strict about it and try and curb it"), that stripping picks wasn't gonna do a whole lot. It sucks that the Kyle Beach stuff happened, it sucks that SA is literally everywhere in hockey, I don't like the fact that Chicago won, but I don't know, I can't feel like they shouldn't have even been in the lottery.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

People nowadays kinda have this idea as like, and I hate saying this, that redditors are "Liberal SoyJaks" or whatever, but honestly a vast majority of reddit was and still is, insanely reactionary outside of a few pet issues, and I wouldn't say SA is included there, it's mostly just about like blizzard games or something.

• Like 1
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

Chicago went from having a semi-competitive team to unloading as much as they could to finish all the way at the bottom...and it payed off. They even gave us top prospect Kirby Dach in exchange for generational prospect Connor Bedard.

22 minutes ago, SailorOfSilence102 said:

Even though I really have no love for Chicago, I do kinda get it, ultimately what would stripping them of 1st round picks from a few years in the future have done ? It seems like SA is so prevalent within hockey, at literally every level (so it's not just a "If it has competitive disadvantages they'll be more strict about it and try and curb it"), that stripping picks wasn't gonna do a whole lot. It sucks that the Kyle Beach stuff happened, it sucks that SA is literally everywhere in hockey, I don't like the fact that Chicago won, but I don't know, I can't feel like they shouldn't have even been in the lottery.

Yeah sexual assault is everywhere in hockey because we’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas. Continuing to try nothing isn’t an acceptable solution.

Three reasons you punish the Blackhawks with actual, visible consequences like stripping picks:

1. so they’re an example for everybody else working in the sport. Nobody cares about the fine and the guys involved being blacklisted - The organization needed to face actual damage and they didn’t. You make it hurt so the next time it happens a team handles it properly.
2. It also demonstrates that the league is taking sexual assault seriously and their approach so far to the Beach scandal has been a whole lot of “ahhh hey not good, guys. Cmon”. Optics are important. Instead their punishment is they get the next great superstar and the league looks incredibly stupid for gifting him to a team who shouldn’t even have a pick.
3. How about :censored:ing mother :censored:ing god damn :censored:ing justice? Because it’d be refreshing to see some consequences one :censored:ing time?

Truly a banner night for OITGDNHL moments. It’s just a very crappy night for the sport. 

• Like 5

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, Sport said:

The organization needed to face actual damage and they didn’t. You make it hurt so the next time it happens a team handles it properly.

I think the organization dodged a lot of that by semi-getting out in front of it where they did that internal investigation -- everyone expected they'd say "well this proves we did absolutely nothing wrong," including me, but it actually didn't. I think the organization could have been much less cooperative than they actually were and ultimately would have faced much harsher consequences had they gone that route. If they'd obstructed every step of the way, it's possible that they would have lost draft picks, because if you're writing off bans and fines as"not real punishment," draft picks are the only thing left the league could really do. Cap penalty? That's not a penalty when the team's not in a position to max out its payroll anyway. 

Even with Bedard, Chicago is still in the very early stages of their rebuild and has a lot of work to do. Crosby came to Pittsburgh with Malkin & Fleury already in the system. The Oilers already had Draisaitl when McDavid got drafted.

Bedard is pretty much joining a blank slate. The Hawks do have a lot of picks + $40M in cap space, so we’ll see if they get aggressive to try and speed up the rebuild. 

The Hawks just started selling season tickets for the first time in like five years, so they'd better roll the dice and start making moves now. There's no time for patient and conscientious rebuilds when you can just invent a new team and go right to the second round. Just get a bunch of guys, run a lot of short shifts, shoot a lot of shots, and hope you catch more mismatches in six months than you expose. That's all hockey is now.

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Even with Bedard, Chicago is still in the very early stages of their rebuild and has a lot of work to do. Crosby came to Pittsburgh with Malkin & Fleury already in the system. The Oilers already had Draisaitl when McDavid got drafted.

Bedard is pretty much joining a blank slate. The Hawks do have a lot of picks + $40M in cap space, so we’ll see if they get aggressive to try and speed up the rebuild. 

McDavid is in year 8 and still not even a Cup Final. MacKinnon won a Cup before McDavid.

I'd be a lot less irritated by this if Blackhawks fans weren't spiking the football after months of diminishing the Beach scandal.  The fallout was a big deal to me, and obviously hockey is the banner sport for scumbags across the world so perhaps I'm just a naive wimpy snowflake, but between the fans "so much salt LOL" "get blown, homo" crap and Rocky launching a two-inch putt from Mark Lazerus into the Grand Canyon, it just...sucks.  It's apparently too much to ask for some to take a thoughtful approach.

Chicago media this morning has been, as you'd expect, celebratory and fans are excited.  There's lots of "we can finally stop talking about the negative" angles, which is understandable.  I dunno.  Maybe I should just get over my empathy.

• Like 5
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Of course there's going to be spiking the football, and conversely, we can't act as if everyone else's weeping over Kyle Beach is exactly in good faith -- the two probably feed each other. You see people posting "better carry a rape whistle" and stuff and you realize it is just fans pissed that a recently good team got the best first overall since McDavid and they didn't -- "moral clarity" is just a convenient framing device for them. 

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Of course there's going to be spiking the football, and conversely, we can't act as if everyone else's weeping over Kyle Beach is exactly in good faith -- the two probably feed each other. You see people posting "better carry a rape whistle" and stuff and you realize it is just fans pissed that a recently good team got the best first overall since McDavid and they didn't -- "moral clarity" is just a convenient framing device for them. 

I guess so, but as a jaded Hawks fan I feel I don't fall into the buckets of envious outsider, so from that perspective I can potentially see your point.  Blah.  

twitter

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

McDavid is in year 8 and still not even a Cup Final. MacKinnon won a Cup before McDavid.

McDavid did win a playoff series in his 2nd season. Chicago still feels a long way away from even making the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Maybe they do what WWE does and pipe in audio cheers for the TV broadcast...

The Hawks have been awful for six years! Is that not karma? Silence, journo.

• Yawn 2

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Hawks have been awful for six years! Is that not karma? Silence, journo.

Six years?! I'm over here in the Chateau d'If trying to remember what the sun looks like. "The hockey gods are never in Buffalo this time of year."

• Like 2
  • LOL 2